• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Oregon reaches out to Willie Taggart

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  4,778
  • Days Won:  6

There are only 2 coaches out there who could possibly view this as a destination job. We fired one of them and the other is Larry Scott. We should just preempt Taggarts leaving and fire him for Scott, otherwise welcome to Stepping Stone U

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,704
  • Days Won:  424

10 minutes ago, TallyBull said:

Absolutely how I feel about this. We should not just accept that USF is a stepping stone program - we should aim higher and actively look for coaches that demonstrate an interest in being here long-term. Even if CWT stays I doubt Harlan wants to deal with this nonsense every off-season.

Another interesting question: why would Rhule go with Baylor over Oregon? Maybe CWT should give Rhule a call and ask, because Baylor's in a lot of crap right now and IMO Oregon is a superior opportunity, unless there's an issue there to which we're not privy.

8 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

#DemandExcellence 

Nailed it .....

11 minutes ago, Brad said:

It's the nearly that matters.

While it may also be nearly impossible, I hope we find one that isn't a hypocrite by trade.  We need long term help. 

Were you this upset when CJL interviewed for Bama?

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

5 minutes ago, 206BULL said:

We should just preempt Taggarts leaving and fire him for Scott

Image result for sarcasm font meme

• Upvote 2

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,070
  • Days Won:  469

15 minutes ago, Triple B said:

To do that you need money and, maybe almost as important, the ability to give a coach a realistic path to the highest pinnacle of his profession (if that's something they want). We have neither right now.

There are great coaches that don't have that pathway.  You're folding too easily on this one. 

Different coaches are driven by different goals and satisfaction. 

There are coaches that are extremely comfortable competing for a D2 championship, or WBB instead of MBB. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

11 minutes ago, GaUSFBull said:

No one disagrees with any of this.  I certainly don't.  Only problem is a little something called REALITY.  

It may be reality. But there are those who look at reality, shrug their shoulders, and accept it. Then there are those who look at reality, and actively seek to improve upon it. 

In this case, one way to improve reality is to actively seek coaches who are ambitious, but define success in a way that is compatible with USF's long-term interests. Having 1.5 successful years then splitting for more money is not.

I get that it will be hard to find someone who'd be content to stay at USF long-term even if successful, but we have to at least try to find that person instead of just accepting reality. There are no guarantees (as demonstrated in this instance - CWT has ties to the area), but that's got to be the goal.

2 minutes ago, Brad said:

There are great coaches that don't have that pathway.  You're folding too easily on this one. 

Different coaches are driven by different goals and satisfaction. 

There are coaches that are extremely comfortable competing for a D2 championship, or WBB instead of MBB. 

I agree completely there are coaches out there like that .... but how many in football? it would be awesome to find one but again, real world, there haven't been a whole of precedents set ....... and who knows, CWT may yet that guy.

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  4,778
  • Days Won:  6

5 minutes ago, GaUSFBull said:

Image result for sarcasm font meme

The pink lettering didn't give it away? I forgot to italicize too so that's my fault.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,070
  • Days Won:  469

18 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Were you this upset when CJL interviewed for Bama?

Yep. 

Remember Trip. My interests are in the program, not those that wish to leave it.  

5 minutes ago, TallyBull said:

In this case, one way to improve reality is to actively seek coaches who are ambitious, but define success in a way that is compatible with USF's long-term interests. Having 1.5 successful years then splitting for more money is not.

What does that mean .... and CWT had 2 successful years if you go by record and 4 if you consider what he was doing the first 2, by building a program back up that supposedly Skip had destroyed.