• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Spring position battles

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Word is Wilcox has been pushing Dillon for the starting TE spot as well 

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

I imagine since we saw a good amt of Pope Price and Dillon last year I would think we'll see Wilcox and Dillon quite a bit.  We arent really deep at TE.  Hope these guys find a knack for hitting people downfield or this offense will stall out.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

One spot that was important for us last year that needs to be filled is Byrd's spot. Any word if the Wisconsin transfer is seeing any time there?  Is Cherry quick enough to move to a spot like that?  Seems like Byrd was our key playmaker on D last year. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

If Bethel can't beat out Atterbury, then either Bethel was way overblown coming from JUCO or we really found a diamond in the rough with Atterbury.

If he can learn the scheme (he's had plenty of time), Cherry should beat out Auggie. Love Auggie, but the physical ability between the two isn't close.

Re: Byrd's position - I think Godwin has been getting time at the Husky spot or whatever they are calling it now.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

12 minutes ago, WWMJD said:

If Bethel can't beat out Atterbury, then either Bethel was way overblown coming from JUCO or we really found a diamond in the rough with Atterbury.

If he can learn the scheme (he's had plenty of time), Cherry should beat out Auggie. Love Auggie, but the physical ability between the two isn't close.

Re: Byrd's position - I think Godwin has been getting time at the Husky spot or whatever they are calling it now.

I remember a tweet from Joey awhile ago that staff said Bethel was very impressive.

This team is so much improved talent wise from 3 years ago.

• Topic Count:  106
  • Content Count:  761
  • Days Won:  2

19 hours ago, Bull-Hornz said:

Auggie has been caught with his pants down a few times last year, but his position requires more than just physical talent. He setups up the D every play. We were hurting when he had to sit out the first half of the game last year and looked much better in the second half when he came back in.

So if Cherry has both the IQ and the physical ability then more power to him, but both must be taken into account. My intuition is telling me that it will be hard for Cherry to take that position from Auggie b/c Auggie brings the toughness, work ethic, and smarts but its IMO his skill set is better suited for the run stuff than pass coverage. I think CC will most likely be shifted to another spot.

i disagree i think cherry will get plenty of playing time based on packages. in which some he may take the place of auggie

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,114
  • Days Won:  7

I have to say, I'm EXTREMELY happy that Cherry has shown up this spring, and I hope he keeps playing like this. 

he's got four years of eligibility, and his physical attributes are a cut above Sanchez. This isn't an affront to Sanchez-it's just an honest assessment of the level of athleticism that a high 4 star player like Cherry has vs. a former 2 star like Sanchez. The fact that he's apparently picking up the mental aspect of the game well is also a huge asset. 

We need top LB play this year, and it looks like we're going to have good depth at the position. Sanchez, Cherry, Harris, Thomas, and Black will be a good corps. 

• Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

1 hour ago, BULLZ said:

i disagree i think cherry will get plenty of playing time based on packages. in which some he may take the place of auggie

You could be right :D

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  4,777
  • Days Won:  6

14 hours ago, usfgrad84 said:

One spot that was important for us last year that needs to be filled is Byrd's spot. Any word if the Wisconsin transfer is seeing any time there?  Is Cherry quick enough to move to a spot like that?  Seems like Byrd was our key playmaker on D last year. 

Hudson(Wisconsin transfer) has been playing Safety not Striker (I believe the new Husky name). He took Godwin's spot and afforded Godwin to move and take over Byrds spot.

Edited by 206BULL

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2
  • Days Won:  0

Holman is now and will stay the 2 at will LB behind Nigel Harris.  Possibly the starter if he continues to improve. Cecil Cherry and Danny are alternating at the 2 behind Auggie. My opinion is Cecil Cherry and Nick Holman should be the starters. But I imagine they will finish at the 2 with Harris and Sanchez remaining starters.