• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Spring position battles

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,117
  • Days Won:  4

The few positions of focus for me here are offensive line, linebackers, and DBs. WRs and Dline will rotate obviously due to depth

Oline - It seems so far that the guy consistantly not with the 1s is Reilly Gibbons. Was this expected for him to be beat out by Atterbury at tackle? I found it surprising that he didnt get playing time last year, and this is just shocking.

Linebackers - I would be fine with Sanchez and Harris, but who does Cecil Cherry replace if he plays well enough to be a must start? Many were saying Auggie Sanchez, but I almost feel like Harris had a sophomore slump after his suspension. Plus Cherry is a good cover guy, while Sanchez is a good tackler, it seems like the better combo to me. 

DBs - Looks like Khalid Mcgee is getting reps at the husky position with Fullwood and Abraham at safety. Does this potentially leave two year starter Nate Godwin on the bench? I wouldn't necessarily hate this, because I have always thought he gave up big plays at bad times, but it is still surprising. and gotta say, its also surprising to see DB Hassan Childs still rehabbing. But he will be a nice addition in the fall. 

Any insight / comments / opinions would be appreciated

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  103
  • Content Count:  5,241
  • Days Won:  0

• Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  495
  • Days Won:  1

Hoping Cherry can give the MLB position a good combo of size and speed if he is better than Auggie. Auggie's awareness is great and he always seems to be in great position but sometimes his athleticism causes him to be a liability. Would be surprised about Godwin but can't let the incumbent get a free pass I guess.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,117
  • Days Won:  4

2 minutes ago, nobull.Bulls said:

Oh wow, a good but unfortunate read. Hate to see those guys still hurt

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

LB is in good shape regardless who starts. I think having a capable tag-team might be the best answer but let the winner start!

• Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

Auggie has been caught with his pants down a few times last year, but his position requires more than just physical talent. He setups up the D every play. We were hurting when he had to sit out the first half of the game last year and looked much better in the second half when he came back in.

So if Cherry has both the IQ and the physical ability then more power to him, but both must be taken into account. My intuition is telling me that it will be hard for Cherry to take that position from Auggie b/c Auggie brings the toughness, work ethic, and smarts but its IMO his skill set is better suited for the run stuff than pass coverage. I think CC will most likely be shifted to another spot.

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

I really feel I have never said this, butbi honestly feel we win the conference this year

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,614
  • Days Won:  51

7 minutes ago, Bull-Hornz said:

Auggie has been caught with his pants down a few times last year, but his position requires more than just physical talent. He setups up the D every play. We were hurting when he had to sit out the first half of the game last year and looked much better in the second half when he came back in.

So if Cherry has both the IQ and the physical ability then more power to him, but both must be taken into account. My intuition is telling me that it will be hard for Cherry to take that position from Auggie b/c Auggie brings the toughness, work ethic, and smarts but its IMO his skill set is better suited for the run stuff than pass coverage. I think CC will most likely be shifted to another spot.

Great point about setting up the defense.  

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

Woodie has been a fan of Sanchez for a long time.  Lots of LB options Id love to see a 4-3 implemented against teams like Navy and Uconn but I also understand the husky striker spot allows much more flexability to blitz and keep the opposing team guessing.  I really dont see Sanchez losing reps nor Harris nor Godwin.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

The most interesting position battle is really rightside offensive tackle between guys like atterbury and bethel.  Amichia is entrenched at LT.  Center position battle which I think might between guys like Ruff and Galati.  The other is the bull position between guys like juwaun brown and vincent jackson I would assume.  The WR battles should be huge as well.  Complicating matters more would be arrivals of ryeshene bronson once hes cleared and true freshmen darnell saloaman.  Then you got Juco tramal ivy who could push for the Bull spot in fall.  Team is loaded in a lot of spots.