• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Please, please, walk home Taggert

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  256
  • Days Won:  0

Yes, you are so just cut the ********:

I don't want 6-6. Either win, and become a force in the AAC or get him out. Mediocre in a bad conference isn't really my end goal, but it seems to be Willie's 

Edited by cambodia36
  • Downvote 2

• Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

To be fair I was out of town last week. Probably doing homeless stuff, right 206? 

Here's an actual point though: Navy obviously saw Flowers go for 200+ and adapted to make him throw today instead of running on "pass" plays. USF,  on the other hand, had all week to practice against the option and looked like it was the first time they'd ever seen it. Isn't that coaching, or is that still something something referees kicker bad calls?

Still waiting 206. 

The option is effective precisely because it is very difficult to prepare for in one week. It was frustrating watching us struggle to remember to cover the pitch - but it is **** hard! You train week in and week out to swarm to the ball (a hallmark of our defense). Then this week you have to stay in your gap and let the other guy make the one on one play. Navy has seen a running QB before.

Also I think the injury was more a factor in QF not running as much.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

The option is effective precisely because it is very difficult to prepare for in one week. It was frustrating watching us struggle to remember to cover the pitch - but it is **** hard! You train week in and week out to swarm to the ball (a hallmark of our defense). Then this week you have to stay in your gap and let the other guy make the one on one play. Navy has seen a running QB before.

Also I think the injury was more a factor in QF not running as much.

The other running backs were not effective either.  Were they injured too??

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  4,777
  • Days Won:  6

It is not an opinion that Taggart was a miserable coach for his first two years. Worst lost I have ever seen to a 1-AA, after two years pretty much fired everyone who worked for him, we can't give away tickets... I am hopeful he has "grown-up" in the program and we can move forward with him as a much improved coach. The past few weeks (even today) has given me some confidence of that. But to be sure I still think he is a pretty bad coach (that part being opinion). If I was hiring a new coach he wouldn't be in the first 50 candidates.

My only thing to the first part is who do you think we could have brought in to not have a miserable first 2 years post Holtz? 

It it hurts to say but even in that McNeese game that Taggart lost in his first game at USF but McNeese had better football players on the field that day. They were bigger, stronger and faster, does a better coach make it a closer game? Yes but I'm not sure we win that game with Nick Saban at coach.

As you have said we have gotten better and that is due to Taggarts recruiting and filling the roster with talent. Again I fail to see how a team sitting exactly where most had expected us to be deserves the coach to be fired or declares him terrible. 

I feel like maybe it's just time for a TBP break like many of the older posters have decided to take. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

As much as we love to think the defense is better, it does say something when in at least 2 of our losses we gave up record performances. Cook broke FSU all time yards in a game. Today was first time in Navy's history they had 3 runners go over 100. Still lots of work to do. Offense still has a lot of improvement to go. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,952
  • Days Won:  12

He has room for improvement for sure but he's clearly helping improve the team. 

Didn't like the conservative play calling. Didn't like the fact that 3 years in our WRs cannot catch. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  1,720
  • Days Won:  3

How many more seasons will it take before some on here learn to spell his name correctly?

• Upvote 3

My only thing to the first part is who do you think we could have brought in to not have a miserable first 2 years post Holtz? 

It it hurts to say but even in that McNeese game that Taggart lost in his first game at USF but McNeese had better football players on the field that day. They were bigger, stronger and faster, does a better coach make it a closer game? Yes but I'm not sure we win that game with Nick Saban at coach.

As you have said we have gotten better and that is due to Taggarts recruiting and filling the roster with talent. Again I fail to see how a team sitting exactly where most had expected us to be deserves the coach to be fired or declares him terrible. 

I feel like maybe it's just time for a TBP break like many of the older posters have decided to take. 

I dont' believe McNeese St had better football players. Pretty sure any pee-wee coach could have brought home the win there. Taggart wanted to demonstrate he could run "his" offense regardless of the talent around him and it took two years to show what a train wreck that has become. I can tell you there aren't many people who would look at an organization and think "hmm, i know the solution - fire everyone who works for the guy in charge, they have to be the problem." The reality is by his own actions last year he felt he deserved to be fired for his performance. It is simply the gurantee of his contract that makes that not an option. Totally OK with that, that is how the business goes.

To answer your question about who we could have brought in - I really think almost anyone. Taggart just has a style that doesn't mix with the talent on the team nor the talent available in FL. Maybe he has learned that lesson - time will tell.

The expectations at beginning of the season were a bowl or bust. That remains. I am not sure we are sitting exactly where we thought in that regard - but we certainly have a chance.

• Upvote 4

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  256
  • Days Won:  0

Has Tagurt recruited better? Yeah but that's not saying much. Skip's recruiting was virtually non existent. But it's not like the next Selvie, JPP, Grothe, Nate Allen, etc has walked thru that door either.

At some point, good teams are going to make you coach to beat them. And I've seem nothing, and nobody else can point out a time coaching has tipped the scales in USF'S favor. Superior talent typically has made the difference in the precious few games they have won under Tagerttt. 

This isn't pros in the 1970's, playing field position game and trying to win 3-0 won't get you far in D1 college game today. 

• Downvote 1

Has Tagurt recruited better? Yeah but that's not saying much. Skip's recruiting was virtually non existent. But it's not like the next Selvie, JPP, Grothe, Nate Allen, etc has walked thru that door either.

At some point, good teams are going to make you coach to beat them. And I've seem nothing, and nobody else can point out a time coaching has tipped the scales in USF'S favor. Superior talent typically has made the difference in the precious few games they have won under Tagerttt. 

This isn't pros in the 1970's, playing field position game and trying to win 3-0 won't get you far in D1 college game today. 

What about that 3 back set we ran a couple weeks back? Running game was completley shut down in first half and then we came out with that and ran right down the field? Seems like a clear example of coaching tipping the scales.

• Upvote 2