• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Please, please, walk home Taggert

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

I must be drinking, I think he gets another year with what he has put together.  

If the previous AD was still in place he'd already have gotten two more years. Not out of the question he gets one. It is hard to leave a coach on a final year - I think you either have to fire him or extend him.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Just don't think he's done enough to get canned. He's making a few mistakes to be sure, but I think the overall trend keeps him safe for a bit...unless there's another undercurrent we're not really privy to.

...and give Skin a break on the spelling, he had to finish a second pitcher to kill the pain. :-)

Edited by raptorcj
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  738
  • Days Won:  1

The only people that put this loss on CWT are the ones that want him gone no matter what.  I think they secretly hope we lose so that he'll be fired.

+1

If you think this loss is on Taggart, you don't understand the difference between gameplan and execution in football.  Some on this board are just ridiculous with the whole blind Fire Taggart thing after every loss.  We are on path to 6-6, a bowl game, and the ability to challenge for east division crown in 2016.

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  256
  • Days Won:  0

Explain what you think the game plan was then. 

I saw a team that got their main options taken away, and did not know how to counter. I also saw a number of overly conservative play calls on 3rd/4th down. That has nothing to do with execution. I also saw an offense, which Taggart invited criticism towards when he assumed all play calling duties, put up 10 points, 7 of which were mostly the result of a punt return. 

from 4-8 to 6-6 can just be a matter of random variance. 

Again, on here it's all his genius if they succeed, and all the players fault when they don't. And yet he's made countless more decisions that have proven unsuccessful than he has great moves. 

The next time he makes a 'gutsy' call in a close game will be the first. It's proven time and time again in game theory that playing games overly risk averse works to a team's detriment rather than helping them succeed. 

Yet Willie always wants to stand at 17. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  97
  • Content Count:  1,180
  • Days Won:  2

Again, on this site, none. If USF wins it's all Taggart's beautiful mind and we are all 'Haterz' for ever doubting his ingenious 8 year plan. 

And, here comes the negative points! Here are the top excuses if USF (predictably) loses:

1. It's the players fault! (the very players they want to give Tags coach of the year for recruiting, but zero accountability when they look poorly prepared )

2. If you take away (big plays for the other team, which happen) and (change those to big plays for USF, which are rare) then it's a different game!

3. It's the refs fault!

4. Well, it was close, and that's all that matters! They became a TEAM today that turned the corner!

5. But UCF is worse! 

You're kidding right? Until we beat Syracuse every single thread on this site was talking about every loss was taggarts fault, because they were. This game was not taggarts fault, and it had a lot more factors than just him and his play calling, which was conservative but not terrible. The factors include Mack only gaining 29 yards, and multiple dropped passes (again), as well as others that were not in taggarts control. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

People don't give enough credit to the navy defense they have a tough defense. Second hardest in 2nd half of season.

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  1,486

We have the drops and bad penalties every game.  A better game plan would have converted at least one of those missed field goal chances into a touchdown.  If half-time adjustments were made, I didn't notice.  Flowers was actually accurate and had time to throw.  Why weren't more passing plays called?  Willy was the difference in this game.  This team's talent is developing, but it doesn't help when the coach can't get the offensive plays in on time.  Oh, and I'd like him to be successful.  I'm not on the Fire Willy bandwagon.

Edited by bullstampede9922

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516

We lost to a better football team who is now 6-1 on the road. We had the lead in the 4th quarter even with the missed FGs. I am the first to be all over Taggart, but sometimes even the best of game plans can't beat a superior opponent (Not saying we had a great game plan). I don't think this is one is on Taggart and I think today was definitely another sign of improvement. Last year and the year before we don't go into the 4th quarter with a lead against a team of that caliber. 

We are going to look really good against 1-6 football teams like SMU and I think we are going to put up good fights against the better teams we play the rest of the way. That's night and day from year 1 and year 2 of the Taggart era. We are on the right track. 

Our defense played fantastic. Take away the fumble on the final kick off to us and they gave up 22 points on the road to a team that runs an offense we never see and averaged 35 ppg coming into today. They did everything they could. Time of possession was sickening. 40 minutes for Navy to our 20. That's what Navy does. We were gassed at the end of the game just as any defense would've been. I would say that Taggart has got to find a way to put up more than 10 points (although it should've been 16 with the missed FGs) and that we have too many play makers on that side of the ball to be held to that, but what can he do when we only have the ball for 20 minutes. 

This one is not on Taggart. Chalk it up to a close one (Yes I said close, the final score is completely deceiving so don't give me the we lost by double digits stuff) where we lost to a better team.

Edited by USFbulls24
  • Upvote 4

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  738
  • Days Won:  1

Explain what you think the game plan was then. 

I saw a team that got their main options taken away, and did not know how to counter. I also saw a number of overly conservative play calls on 3rd/4th down. That has nothing to do with execution. I also saw an offense, which Taggart invited criticism towards when he assumed all play calling duties, put up 10 points, 7 of which were mostly the result of a punt return. 

from 4-8 to 6-6 can just be a matter of random variance. 

Again, on here it's all his genius if they succeed, and all the players fault when they don't. And yet he's made countless more decisions that have proven unsuccessful than he has great moves. 

The next time he makes a 'gutsy' call in a close game will be the first. It's proven time and time again in game theory that playing games overly risk averse works to a team's detriment rather than helping them succeed. 

Yet Willie always wants to stand at 17. 

I could literally make the exact opposite seem true but that would take too much time.  Plus, I just realized you're a UCF troll.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  256

Please do. Nobody seems to want to show any X's and O's when it comes to Tags. It's all the players fault, refs fault, mine for killing an angel because I don't believe, etc. And yet my knowledge gets challenged and I make reasonable responses as to why this 1950's game plan doesn't work long term. 

If I actually was a UCF fan, honestly I'd be suggesting USF lock Willie up long term. I can think of no better outcome if that was my angle.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2