• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Quinton Flowers

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

I would think so. He's been in the offense and played. He has the run game and CWT's approval. Why go with an unknown? Unless AW knocks it out of the park in Spring and Summer, it's QF's to lose if he keeps up his current pace.

He's building himself up a nice rep of being a respectable leader, in addition to the athletic stuff. AW will have to contend with that, too, and that's an unproven part of his game.

I can hardly believe we're going from the woes we had before the season started to a QB competition next year featuring some very promising talent. Plus, both kids project an outstanding attitude and mental fortitude. Giddy...

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

I would think so. He's been in the offense and played. He has the run game and CWT's approval. Why go with an unknown? Unless AW knocks it out of the park in Spring and Summer, it's QF's to lose if he keeps up his current pace.

Oh no, someone's hacked JTrue's account.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

I know the story is that it's 1-read then run, but, even when he breaks out of the pocket, he is still looking to throw a lot of times, that shows that he has some vision and ability to keep his head up. Sure, on the quick hitting plays, if it's not there, he runs, but, I see him making more reads than the official story may lead one to believe.

As for the QF/BJ comparison... BJ was much more gifted, no doubt... both running and passing. What I will say for QF is that he seems more like a team player, doing what it takes to win. Somewhere in the middle of BJs first year, he started publicly saying that he didn't want to run as much and wanted to be a more traditional QB. Sometimes I think that was to the detriment of the team and doing what it took to win games. Still wouldn't put QF ahead of BJ, but, from what I see, the kid has a bit more of the fire to do whatever it takes to win and I like that attitude.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

:roflmao:

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

I know the story is that it's 1-read then run, but, even when he breaks out of the pocket, he is still looking to throw a lot of times, that shows that he has some vision and ability to keep his head up. Sure, on the quick hitting plays, if it's not there, he runs, but, I see him making more reads than the official story may lead one to believe.

As for the QF/BJ comparison... BJ was much more gifted, no doubt... both running and passing. What I will say for QF is that he seems more like a team player, doing what it takes to win. Somewhere in the middle of BJs first year, he started publicly saying that he didn't want to run as much and wanted to be a more traditional QB. Sometimes I think that was to the detriment of the team and doing what it took to win games. Still wouldn't put QF ahead of BJ, but, from what I see, the kid has a bit more of the fire to do whatever it takes to win and I like that attitude.

you mean BJ's 2nd year after coach instructed him as such.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,687
  • Days Won:  8

It's too early to compare Flowers to Daniels or Grothe. Flowers reminds me more of Grothe so far. 

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,122
  • Days Won:  6

It's too early to compare Flowers to Daniels or Grothe. Flowers reminds me more of Grothe so far. 

If you could choose which one would you rather have start the rest of the year?  Unfair I guess since this is basically QF's first year but I would easily pick Grothe.

Grothe was just as slippery but was a better passer.  

BJ is a great kid with a cannon but he was not the leader and he made some poor decisions.

I am not sure "leader" is the right term and I don't want to slight BJ but there is something about Flowers that impresses me and I can't put my finger on it.  He is more humble?  IDK.

you mean BJ's 2nd year after coach instructed him as such.

If I recall, I started hearing him talk about it before the Cincy game in 2009... depends on what you mean by his second year. I believe that he was technically a sophomore, but, it was his first year starting. I seem to recall moments in that game where Daniels could have tucked the ball and picked up big yards, but, forced passes instead. I am reaching way back into the glory days files here though, so, I could be wrong.

If you could choose which one would you rather have start the rest of the year?  Unfair I guess since this is basically QF's first year but I would easily pick Grothe.

Grothe was just as slippery but was a better passer.  

BJ is a great kid with a cannon but he was not the leader and he made some poor decisions.

I am not sure "leader" is the right term and I don't want to slight BJ but there is something about Flowers that impresses me and I can't put my finger on it.  He is more humble?  IDK.

MG no doubt. Kid was a gamer (I am seeing it out of QF, just too soon to tell). Example: the Cincy game in 2007 I think when Grothe threw like 47 ints and looked absolutely awful... at the end of the game, he put the ball in C Mitchell's hands that would have won the game. So many things MG could have done better that day, but, even with probably his worst career game, he still fought to the end and gave us a shot to win if that catch had been reeled in.

I would have liked for QF to get that Memphis game back, with the confidence Taggart seems to have in him now. I feel like the kid could have won that game if given the opportunity.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

I haven't contradicted any of my previous posts. I still 100% believe AW is the better pure passer. I watched QF last summer and this summer side by side with AW. It's not even a debate who throws a better ball. What I can't predict is how AW's skills translate to an actual passing game. No way to know if he can make reads or run through his progressions since he has zero game experience. QF is coming along nicely. He fits the offense we're currently running. If this offense is the offense we're going to use moving forward, it will be a fun competition to keep an eye on.