• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

This team is real

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

For me ... at the start of the season, I felt this team had the talent to do something big... I might have been the most excited fan on here... I could see Flowers had little flashes of Grothe-esque plays during the Spring game.

Against FAMU, we ran a vanilla offense and I didn't read a lot into it - other than we didn't struggle.

Against FSU, I was optimisic, but felt we would lose... I never expected our defense to allow Cook to gash us the way he did... and on offense, CWT tried to call the same plays against FSU that he did against FAMU -- and we had a lot of punts as a result.

Maryland is when my optimism started to sour.  The Terps secondary was ripe for the taking... but CWT missed chances (and the WRs dropped some passes)... then, after Flowers had engineered a drive to score, Bench comes in.

Memphis flipped me over the edge.  With two weeks to prepare, CWT decided that he wanted to run-run-run-punt a few times... Tom Allen's defense did everything right... and CWT could not call anything right.

After Memphis, I was ready to fire Taggart.  It wasn't the players' fault.  It was his and his alone.  Yes, I was upset this team wasn't living up to my expectations... but it was more than that... this team was not being ALLOWED to live up to the potential that I and many others saw this summer.  It was like CWT was too scared to let go.

Then it happened.

CWT took the reigns off the offense.  Syracuse. U Conn. SMU.

Yes, they were lesser opponents than many on our schedule... but the WAY the offense was allowed to go out and play.  Yes, mistakes were made... and the team had to rally past them, to not fixate on them... and they did.

The team was ready from the start, but the coach wasn't... so I am off the "Fire Taggart" band wagon because his playcalling has gotten a lot better.  SMU may have been the BEST game he has called since he arrived!!

THIS offense and THIS defense can win the rest of the games on the calendar, even Navy and Temple.  I don't think or expect that to happen, but I know it could... as long as CWT continues to let the Bulls play.

+1

I couldn't say it better!

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

These players are not giving up at the first sign of adversity, this is a stark contrast to this team's reaction in past seasons. I'm really looking forward to the game against Navy. In seasons past, I don't think I would have felt optimistic against a team running the triple option.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

When 

These players are not giving up at the first sign of adversity, this is a stark contrast to this team's reaction in past seasons. I'm really looking forward to the game against Navy. In seasons past, I don't think I would have felt optimistic against a team running the triple option.

When SMU went up early I knew this team would score and they did.

This might be the mentally strongest USF team I have seen. They don't commit many personal fouls and even fouls in general are down.  They don't fold under pressure and for a team that was bad the last 3 plus years they know how to put teams awau late in games.

When receivers don't drop ball and defense makes tackles and Flowers has some accuracy this team is actually a really good team and can beat every team the rest of the season if they bring A game.  Don't expect them to win out but they will win 6 plus games this year.

For first time in many years I'm excited about the condition of the program.

Excited to see CWT recruit this year if we win 6 plus.

Edited by Bulls On Parade

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

They always have a reason to complain... there like nagy women.

Nagging isn't gender specific. I think we have plenty of "naggy" men on this forum. Mookie comes to mind. :FIREdevil:

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  361
  • Days Won:  0

Some Observations 

1. Now that CWT has put some faith in his QB. QF athleticism is forcing defenses to respect him, opening up opportunities for others to make plays

2. QF passing ability is better than expected and improving weekly. If USF didn't have so many drops passes His #'s against SMU would have been much better and they would have scored at least 2 more TD's

3. They overcame a lot of mistakes Saturday and we're still able beat a team they were supposed to beat by a lot. This is one of the key signs that your team is getting better.

4. They have not put a a complete game together on offense yet 

5. The D is for real- fast and aggressive. Their ability to create negative plays is unbelievable and it seem they are learning to tackle better.

Navy will a big test for sure

6. It clear that this team is better coached especially on the offensive line. It's very clear that the blocking on the entire offence Recievers included has improved significantly 

7. Other than one game they are committing significantly less penalties another sign of good coaching

8. Special teams need improvement  specifically kick coverage and FG kicker 

9. I was one of CWT biggest detractors. But I will admit he has started to show signs that his has control of his team 

10. I don't know how they will finish the year but it's great to have hope again.

11. His job is safe at this point because without doubt he can recruit

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

You could just see it when we played Memphis that things had changed and that those young men were becomming a team instead of just a bunch of guys playing together.  It has improved from there, and I see no reason why it should not continue to build in the future. 

Only an idiot would fire coach T after this and try to start the process over again with somebody else.  He has built a team.

Go Bulls!

After Memphis, I was ready to fire Taggart.  It wasn't the players' fault.  It was his and his alone.  Yes, I was upset this team wasn't living up to my expectations... but it was more than that... this team was not being ALLOWED to live up to the potential that I and many others saw this summer.  It was like CWT was too scared to let go.

Then it happened.

CWT took the reigns off the offense.  Syracuse. U Conn. SMU.

The loss to Memphis was (the start of) the turning point. 

Taggart in a couple of interviews, including after SMU said that after that loss, he saw something in the players.  That they were pissed of losing.  They were determined to stop losing.  It was also after that game that he admitted his coaching was too tight, and caused the loss.  I think this motivated both the players and CWT to become more aggressive.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

The loss to Memphis was (the start of) the turning point. 

Taggart in a couple of interviews, including after SMU said that after that loss, he saw something in the players.  That they were pissed of losing.  They were determined to stop losing.  It was also after that game that he admitted his coaching was too tight, and caused the loss.  I think this motivated both the players and CWT to become more aggressive.

I dunno what it was. Flowers' meeting(s) with CWT, the players-only meeting, or a combination of everything, but I love this team's fight now. I'd love it more if the fight also included some more receptions, but can't have everything...:04-rock:

QF is determined like we haven't seen out of our QBs in a while. That late-game TD said it all to me--not letting up!

• Topic Count:  209
  • Content Count:  2,785
  • Days Won:  1

Nagging isn't gender specific. I think we have plenty of "naggy" men on this forum. Mookie comes to mind. :FIREdevil:

Using it as an example... I think we all know that anyone can be naggy. 

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

QF's confidence is growing and that may be the most important takeaway from the last three weeks.

Yup, the game has started to slow down for him. He's far more decisive with his decision making.  If he can consistently put the ball in the receivers hands like he did this weekend our offense will continue to produce.