• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

This team is real

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,510
  • Days Won:  422

This. I see SMU rushing 4, dropping 7 back, then watch Flowers drop back, MAYBE make 1 read then take off with nothing but green grass ahead of him for at least 10 yards, and while I don't mind it, I think "what on earth is SMU doing? have they never watched USF play?"

Man up on the WR's, put 7,8 guys in the box, stay at home, and dare, absolutely dare Flowers to try and throw. Odds are he still tries to run or does his patented 'get out of the pocket and then chuck it out of bounds" throw. But to respect him like he's...a respectable passer, and drop back and let him get you for 200 yards rushing instead.. I just don't understand how people paid to do this fail to see in scouting USF what I feel a lot of armchair guys could see in about 5 minutes. 

The 3 game winning streak is just killing you, isn't it ...?

• Upvote 2

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  159
  • Days Won:  0

It's been a while since we've been over .500 this late into the season.

Last time was 2011, when we were 4-3 at this point. Difference is, at this point in that season we were on 3 game losing streak, opposite here.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  256

The 3 game winning streak is just killing you, isn't it ...?

A bit.. I still feel like long term they need to move on from Willie, and the offense still looks like I'm playing someone in madden who has 3 plays that work, and are running them over and over...

I am glad they are winning games, but these are teams they should absolutely beat 9/10 times each, and I am not going to stand up and clap at the end of this season if they are 6-6, just because Willie lowered the bar so low for himself that mediocrity is now rewarded instead of shamed. 

• Downvote 2

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,510
  • Days Won:  422

A bit.. I still feel like long term they need to move on from Willie, and the offense still looks like I'm playing someone in madden who has 3 plays that work, and are running them over and over...

I am glad they are winning games, but these are teams they should absolutely beat 9/10 times each, and I am not going to stand up and clap at the end of this season if they are 6-6, just because Willie lowered the bar so low for himself that mediocrity is now rewarded instead of shamed. 

Well, you're certainly not alone in that thinking and I guess what sucks to me about you folks is that you don't appear to care about what's best for USF if it means you're proven wrong. What's best for USF is for CWT to have this thing turned around and heading in the right direction ... which we won't know until the season plays out .... but you guys appear to be hoping and praying it doesn't. You apparently want USF to have to pay another coach for not working here and want us to go back to square one in the rebuilding/building process. I just don't get it.

• Upvote 4

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  725

This. I see SMU rushing 4, dropping 7 back, then watch Flowers drop back, MAYBE make 1 read then take off with nothing but green grass ahead of him for at least 10 yards, and while I don't mind it, I think "what on earth is SMU doing? have they never watched USF play?"

Man up on the WR's, put 7,8 guys in the box, stay at home, and dare, absolutely dare Flowers to try and throw. Odds are he still tries to run or does his patented 'get out of the pocket and then chuck it out of bounds" throw. But to respect him like he's...a respectable passer, and drop back and let him get you for 200 yards rushing instead.. I just don't understand how people paid to do this fail to see in scouting USF what I feel a lot of armchair guys could see in about 5 minutes. 

UConn went with 9-10 guys in the box and got beat long. That's the whole premise of the offense. Lure them in with runs and screens then hit some over the top. That's what they did to Cuse also. Seems like SMU was more worried about getting beat over the top then Q running and they paid for it.

As for running the same plays over and over? I am all for it. Makes me think of the Sun Bowl when Oregon ran the same play all day and thrashed us with it. If it is working why change it? In fact, I felt they should of ran it more today instead of try to get cute with pass plays.

I get it though. I agree, I don't think CWT is the long term solution. However, for right NOW the players are getting better and there is finally some signs of life on the offense. These are good things.

• Topic Count:  232
  • Content Count:  2,511

My take on the coaching situation:

I admit, I was calling for Taggart's head.  He has been signing some of the best recruiting classes USF has seen in a long time, if not the best ever, but he was not producing results at the time.  The fan base has slipped to embarrassing lows, so getting rid of the coach is a gut reaction.  I do not know exactly what happened, but everything has started to click, and we are playing a power game.  Is everything perfect?  No, but we are beating teams that we are supposed to beat.  We were the team that almost all other teams were supposed to beat for the past few years.  It is refreshing to be on the other side of that line again.

Taggart took over a team that did not have the talent to compete in the BE and AAC.  Was Holtz to blame?  Somewhat yes, since he was not bringing in recruits.  However several local HS coaches were down on USF after USF fired Leavitt.  I remember one HS coach publicly stated that he would sway his players away from USF at that time.  It is hard for a coach to get top recruits when your recruiting mantra is to get local players and the local HS coaches are against you.  Thankfully most of those HS coaches have moved on or have changed their attitude.  Now Holtz did make some boneheaded recruiting moves, especially in the QB department.

Is Taggart the long term solution?  If he keeps on winning, then yes.  I do not care if the play calling is "boring" because whatever Taggart is doing now is producing wins, and wins are exciting.  I see Flowers starting to make beautiful long passes on target, but now the WR are dropping them.  Once they get the passing game in sync, this team will be dangerous again.

Edited by hightechbull

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

The players are having fun. The team is playing together. And things are changing -we are winning and scoring.

The present and future are finally looking brighter.

Did we turn the corner? YES.

SMU was a trap game. If we were still bad, we could have easily lost the game.

I give CWT a lot of credit for the last three games, especially after what he did against Memphis (his offensive play selections).

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

A bit.. I still feel like long term they need to move on from Willie, and the offense still looks like I'm playing someone in madden who has 3 plays that work, and are running them over and over.

funny you say that.  I watched GT beat FSU last night with an offense that runs just a handful of plays.  We'll be playing a team next week that runs the very same offense designed by GT's coach. And people are saying it will be a tough game for us.

you do what you need to do to win.  I never thought after the last 4 years I'd see Bulls fans complaining about wins.

Just hard to believe.

• Upvote 2

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  613
  • Days Won:  2

Let us beat a team with a winning record, then i will start to believe.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

Let us beat a team with a winning record, then i will start to believe.

Syracuse had a winning record when we beat them.  

We have turned corner we have a good team when they bring a game.

Edited by Bulls On Parade