• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Evidence that Flowers has improved

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,705
  • Days Won:  3

In the 4th when the game was locked I am surprised that we didn't see some bench. I would have hated for any of our 1's to come away with a late injury. 

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

I don't think he has improved so much as his confidence is growing which is the main reason I had reservations.  His skill set is still limited and it may never be g5 level accuracy with his arm.  He has an uphill climb to remain starter here with more talent becoming avail.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

In the 4th when the game was locked I am surprised that we didn't see some bench. I would have hated for any of our 1's to come away with a late injury. 

I think that was more about giving Q his game. He earned a game ball for his work, and pulling him might have sent the wrong message.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,115
  • Days Won:  6

most didn't expect QFs performance against cuse, who knows if bench would have been able to be successful if coach had taken the reins off of him and opened up the playcalling

just saying 

Bench has been knocking around for three seasons.  He is a great kid and he has been off the chain before.  

We have been in the hole and had to open things up in the past with Bench and White.  Many times.  

This idea that he never got a shot is a myth.

Edited by mark_my_words

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

I think that was more about giving Q his game. He earned a game ball for his work, and pulling him might have sent the wrong message.

My thinking was for two reasons. 

First as you mentioned, give QF and the other players as much practice as possible.  Especially before the rest of our conference games, and definitely against a good team.  Something that cannot be replicated in practice.  Boost up the their confidence as much as possible

Second, prove a point... boost the teams morale and give something for fans and non-fans.  The team has been through such a low point.  Beat a known, good team as much as possible.  When trying to sway back fans who aren't at the game.. seeing a score in the news of 45 - 24 is much better than 38 - 31.  People who just see the score afterwards can't say "oh it was a close game, must have been some last minute lucky play." Instead it will look like a beat down.  Try to show that the team has (hopefully) turned the corner.

• Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

Speaking only for myself, I have clearly stated that QF has been improving each and every game, its just slowly. I believe that the only reason there haven't been more start SB threads is not b/c QF is doing so amazing, he really isn't, but b/c CWT has made it clear that he is placing all his chips with QF and whats the point of arguing against that? Its his right as head coach to make a decision like that and I still think Captn Ahab is chasing a white whale but I would love to be wrong. I think he has several good qualities of a head coach.

As far as SB getting a far shot, both MW and QF where given better opportunities to play than SB every got. SB never was given back to back weeks to start and was never given full first team reps last year even when MW was clearly hurt. When SB was given opportunities to play he did not do what BJD or MG did so he did not differentiate himself enough to make the decision easy. 

Sometimes I think people confuse SB with Floyd and Eveld b/c it seems to me the feedback is disproportionate :D:FIREdevil::FIREdevil:

Edited by Bull-Hornz

• Topic Count:  52
  • Content Count:  1,290
  • Days Won:  0

QF plays better if we can run well.. Bench is just a better passer.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Thick & thin, CWT has maintained he sees something special in QF. I've seen glimpses, but never the "special" stuff until this game. He was sold as a gamer, and he showed he's a gamer with the 'cuse. Short memory, good game management, serviceable passing, protects the ball (aside from blind-side fumble), and puts himself on the line for first downs. In short, he was a good leader. If his curve is still up from here and he stays healthy, I don't think we'll see Bench anymore.

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

I thought the same thing.  Reduce risk to starters, and throw Bench a bone...and keep him sharp, as QF is one hit from Bench taking over.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

Thick & thin, CWT has maintained he sees something special in QF. I've seen glimpses, but never the "special" stuff until this game. He was sold as a gamer, and he showed he's a gamer with the 'cuse. Short memory, good game management, serviceable passing, protects the ball (aside from blind-side fumble), and puts himself on the line for first downs. In short, he was a good leader. If his curve is still up from here and he stays healthy, I don't think we'll see Bench anymore.

Well put.