• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

QB Flowers Highlights

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

the guy is not in there for his passing abilities. they need to call designed QB runs/ read option keepers 15+ times per game.

I'm sure if we had a better option they would be in there. Flowers is a better runner than Bench is a passer so we go with him.

• Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  3,462
  • Days Won:  6

Both QB's will see lots of time time I'll bet. Who is starting the game may be irrelevant. It will though, force teams to prepare for both, which complicates preparation.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Both QB's will see lots of time time I'll bet. Who is starting the game may be irrelevant. It will though, force teams to prepare for both, which complicates preparation.

Maybe true, but neither QB can be one-dimensional to make this offense work. That junk where Flowers came in only to run was obvious/laughable/painful to watch.

Edited by raptorcj

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Yes... Flowers was 6 of 15 - with no turnovers ...  I would say he is not the only one at fault for a bad 3 quarters... some of his issues were the playcalling... and others were dumb penalties. 

I agree with you, Jim. The play calling was horrendous for the SMU game; it felt like the coaching staff had no confidence in allowing Flowers to air the ball out. I truly hope things are different this year.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,626
  • Days Won:  424

I thought his throwing was decent in most of the throws.  At the 3:51 mark he legitimately threw the ball 60 yards.  From his 42 yard line into the end zone.  Anyone that can throw 60 yards has a plenty good enough arm to be a college QB.  He does like to put air under it and let the receiver run under it, but I saw some darts also.

Flowers is going to run wild this year.  He's as good a runner as MG/BJ if not better.

He threw floaters in high school and two years later he still throws floaters.  If he's smart and doesn't throw the ball too often, his exposure in college can be limited enough that he might be a successful QB in college.  But unless he learns to throw the ball much better he will never be an NFL QB, except as a wildcat third stringer like Tebow.

He can throw the ball over 60 yards as evidenced by the tape.  The tape don't lie.  He threw the ball from just over his 40 to the opposing end zone.  Go look at the 3:51 mark.  He does like to throw touch passes as opposed to darts a lot of times, but he can do it if needed.  Anyone that can throw the ball over 60 yards has an above average college arm.  He probably has a stronger arm than MG had, although not quite to BJ's level, IMO.  BJ had a rocket launcher and could probably throw it 70.  But Flowers can probably throw it 65.  Do you realize just how far 65 yards in and how few human beings, let alone quarterbacks on ANY level can do that?

None of that changes the fact that every long pass I've seen from him, has had way too much air under it.

And none of it changes the fact that a good portion of the short passes those of us who've been at practice to see in person, have had way too much wobble.

Not a fact, your opinion. I saw just the opposite. Every short pass wasn't a tight spiral but a good portion were ...

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,077
  • Days Won:  14

That was some pretty good competition be was playing against down there in the 305 as well.

Could we be back to the Grothe/BJ run around like crazy and make wild stuff happen days...guess we will see.

Because we won how many conference titles with that? I loved Matt & BJ but that school yard play only gets you so far. It will all be determined by the play of the offensive line. Any QB should be better when they have time to throw.

If that run around like crazy and make wild stuff will get us back to those 3rd place finishes, I'll take it ..... THEN we can worry about conf championships .... baby steps.

Wiser words may have never been spoken sir

...and at the very least that school yard play is a helluva lot more fun to watch than what we've been seeing on offense for the last couple of years.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

I thought his throwing was decent in most of the throws.  At the 3:51 mark he legitimately threw the ball 60 yards.  From his 42 yard line into the end zone.  Anyone that can throw 60 yards has a plenty good enough arm to be a college QB.  He does like to put air under it and let the receiver run under it, but I saw some darts also.

Flowers is going to run wild this year.  He's as good a runner as MG/BJ if not better.

He threw floaters in high school and two years later he still throws floaters.  If he's smart and doesn't throw the ball too often, his exposure in college can be limited enough that he might be a successful QB in college.  But unless he learns to throw the ball much better he will never be an NFL QB, except as a wildcat third stringer like Tebow.

He can throw the ball over 60 yards as evidenced by the tape.  The tape don't lie.  He threw the ball from just over his 40 to the opposing end zone.  Go look at the 3:51 mark.  He does like to throw touch passes as opposed to darts a lot of times, but he can do it if needed.  Anyone that can throw the ball over 60 yards has an above average college arm.  He probably has a stronger arm than MG had, although not quite to BJ's level, IMO.  BJ had a rocket launcher and could probably throw it 70.  But Flowers can probably throw it 65.  Do you realize just how far 65 yards in and how few human beings, let alone quarterbacks on ANY level can do that?

None of that changes the fact that every long pass I've seen from him, has had way too much air under it.

And none of it changes the fact that a good portion of the short passes those of us who've been at practice to see in person, have had way too much wobble.

Not a fact, your opinion. I saw just the opposite. Every short pass wasn't a tight spiral but a good portion were ...

Well then, I guess I didn't see them and neither did those people who have said otherwise in their reports of practices they witnessed.

The reality is that he really most reminds me of Pat Julmiste.  I would guess our offense if QF remains the QB all year will look an awful lot like the run spread offense we ran with Julmiste, with a pass thrown in now again hoping the receiver will be so wide open that maybe we can get a completion.  Andre Hall made it work with his running ability along with Julmiste's running ability.

The reality is that our offense that year was a lot better than last year's offense.  So this isn't a bad thing.  Julmiste was a tremendous Bull, tons of heart and sacrificed for USF by playing out of position because of need.

But if anyone thinks our supposedly great crop of receivers is going to put up numbers with QF as the QB, well...see Julmiste, Pat.

Julmiste could not run the ball very well...

I would say he has the arm of Julmiste, the legs of Daniels... we need to see if he has the heart of Grothe.

Well then, I guess I didn't see them and neither did those people who have said otherwise in their reports of practices they witnessed.

When I saw two practices, Flowers had some great passes, perfect touch passes the WRs or RBs could run under -- especially on the wheel route.  He threw great passes on the slant and bubble screens... he had some overthrows on longer passes for TEs running down a seam, or the WRs doing longer (20+ yards) post/flag/crossing routes... he had some sidelines passes that were at the feet of the defenders.

Remember, our defense in practice wanted to pick off every pass... and QF still threw fewer INTs (based on what I saw and what was reported)... QF also had some plays where he purposefully threw it away -- something we really need a young QB to know.

He's not going to beat the world... but he's not as bad as people are saying on here.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

He does like to throw touch passes as opposed to darts a lot of times, but he can do it if needed.  Anyone that can throw the ball over 60 yards has an above average college arm.  He probably has a stronger arm than MG had, although not quite to BJ's level, IMO.  BJ had a rocket launcher and could probably throw it 70.  But Flowers can probably throw it 65.  Do you realize just how far 65 yards in and how few human beings, let alone quarterbacks on ANY level can do that? 

Haven't ever seen him throw darts.  Certainly haven't seen him throw darts with accuracy.  Throwing for distance, throwing passes that travel through the air quickly, throwing accurately and quickly releasing the ball are all different skills.  He may have all of these skills, I haven't seen him throw hundreds of passes.  Through his highlights and few appearances last year I personally have seen him demonstrate one of the four skills.  He may have the others, I haven't seen them.  That is all I'm saying.