• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Whats the word on Coach Kinnan?

Makes you wonder if CWT would done this from the moment he got hired. I still believed that Woolard made a huge mistake in not finding the resources for Taggart to hire an experienced staff instead of the relatively youthful staff that he wound up mostly b/c of lack of money.

IIRC, we  flirted with a couple experienced assistants but couldn't pay up. Considering how important it was to get this hire "right" Woolard should have used some creativity to find the money to surround CWT with the staff needed to give him the best shot at being successful. That is why I think brining  Tomey and Kinnan were brilliant moves by Harlan and Taggart as the insight from some of the crusty old-timers can often times win you one or two games by themselves due to their experience.

The thing is, Woolard was not a football guy.  He didn't understand the importance of having those kind of resources... and I believe (could be wrong) that Tomey and Kinnan were brought in under the Athletic Department budget to get around the limitations of the assistant coaching salary pool... which shows how much Harlan understands that football feeds the beast.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

.... Tomey and Kinnan were brought in under the Athletic Department budget to get around the limitations of the assistant coaching salary pool... which shows how much Harlan understands that football feeds the beast.

Good point Jim. Harlan in his short time at USF seems to understand what the athletic department needs way more than Woolard ever did.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

If they are serious about uptempo, they should look at Phelbin's practice method at the Dolphins, which was shown on Hard Knocks. He runs more plays in practice than any NFL team.http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2012/07/29/miami-dolphins-making-the-most-of-limited-practice-time-to-get-snaps-for-the-quarterbacks/

"The Dolphins split the practice field in half, and essentially are running two practices simultaneously – the starting unit on one half of the field, and the backups on the other half. Offensive coordinator Mike Sherman said most training camp practices entail 75-85 live practice reps, but estimated that the Dolphins are getting 150-160 snaps per practice. Philbin said he got the idea from Sherman, who ran his practices in similar fashion when he was head coach at Texas A&M the past four years."

This post IMO is kind irrelevant in the fact that you are mentioning an NFL team with well conditioned pro athletes.

Correct me if I'm wrong but they are most likely running this in practice for more or less conditioning drills as what offense in the NFL other than Kelly run Eagles actually put that product on the field during game day?

I get where you're headed but I think the staff will do what works for them whether its 50 plays or 250 plays during practice.

Guess you missed where they got that from Mike Sherman, who used it at Texas A&M, which is a college team. Spend $1.99 for NFL Now and check it out. Or use Google.

http://www.phinnation.com/dolphins-sugar-huddle-offense-is-helping-tannehill-progress/

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

So Kinnan is locked in a small room with a chalk board drawing up plays?

What?!?!?!

Are you just attempting to increase your post count?

Uh no. It was sounding from some posts he's just at USF to design plays, not actually coach.

:facepalm:  Please explain or was this just your take/twist on what others had to say?

You want me to hold your hand and read the thread and the debate on if he is an actual coach or a consultant or in a role somewhere in between?

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

.... Tomey and Kinnan were brought in under the Athletic Department budget to get around the limitations of the assistant coaching salary pool... which shows how much Harlan understands that football feeds the beast.

Good point Jim. Harlan in his short time at USF seems to understand what the athletic department needs way more than Woolard ever did.

I agree. Harlan made it clear that we need to reach a bowl, which gave a public warning of sorts to CWT. But at the same time he gave the Coach resources to fix things. To me, that's excellent leadership. I'll say this much. I'm starting to warm up to the ways things are done.

• Upvote 2

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,011
  • Days Won:  469

Tis nice having competent leadership in the Athletic Dept.

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Tis nice having competent leadership in the Athletic Dept.

Looks that way so far.