• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Whats the word on Coach Kinnan?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Missed where he is a regular assistant coach.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  831
  • Days Won:  0

So Kinnan is locked in a small room with a chalk board drawing up plays?

What?!?!?!

Are you just attempting to increase your post count?

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,009
  • Days Won:  469

Kinnan ready to kick Bulls into high gear

By Doug Fernandes

doug.fernandes@heraldtribune.com

Published: Thursday, July 30, 2015 at 9:49 p.m.

Last Modified: Thursday, July 30, 2015 at 9:49 p.m.

Tried reaching Joe Kinnan by phone on Thursday. No luck. The former Manatee High head football coach, now an offensive consultant on Willie Taggart’s USF staff, was in a meeting.

Tried later in the day. Another meeting. The Bulls are putting the finishing touches on their playbook. Their first practice is a week from today.

A conversation with a writer could wait. Had to.

“I think everyone is anxious to get going,” Kinnan said. “We’re going to be about a mile ahead of where we finished spring practice. I feel very good about that.”

: Back then the 69-year-old had just joined Taggart’s staff, which was in the beginning stages of installing an up-tempo offense. Just what does “up-tempo’’ mean?

: “As fast as (the offense) can,” Kinnan said. “We want them to line up quickly, get the play and go.” No huddle, 80-90 plays a game, line up quickly, get the play and go.

The Bulls will have a fast tempo, and one even faster, called a warp-speed tempo. (That’s when Capt. Kirk will call the plays). They’ll have an ability to signal a fake play package, notice the defensive look, then make the appropriate call to beat it.

Rest of report: http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20150730/COLUMNIST/150739958/2416/FRONTPAGE

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

Man, I can't wait!

This is going to be an exciting season. GO BULLS!!!!

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Man, I can't wait!

This is going to be an exciting season. GO BULLS!!!!

I sure hope so; my liver hasn't been too happy with the last four seasons. :D

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  831
  • Days Won:  0

If anyone knows how Manatee's offense was run, this should be the same way. One or two word call and the rest will come from the cards on the sidelines. Many schools run this type of play calling.

If I'm correct, the card is going to be for the lineman and the blocking schemes mostly.

Can anyone confirm that?

On a side note, this should help CWT a little but I will note that after watching Kinnan call plays for over 10 years, he used to frustrate us as well with the slow play calling as well.

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

For Danny Hope, South Florida’s co-offensive coordinator/offensive line coach, having Kinnan on board bleeds into the surreal. While at Eastern Kentucky, Kinnan recruited Hope out of Miami Killian High. Later, at Manatee, he gave Hope his first coaching job.

“He made a huge impact on my life in a lot of ways,†Hope said, “and to be here now, working with him again, is an honor and a privilege that is second to none. It’s a perfect fit in a lot of ways for both of us, as far as where we’re at in our football coaching careers.â€

http://preps.heraldtribune.com/2015/03/31/kinnan-is-back-in-the-game/

• Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

I like that coach Kinnan is making statements with some ownership. It implies not only that he is all in but that he is involved with the O at an intimate level. That bodes well in my book...

Edited by Bull-Hornz

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

So Kinnan is locked in a small room with a chalk board drawing up plays?

What?!?!?!

Are you just attempting to increase your post count?

Uh no. It was sounding from some posts he's just at USF to design plays, not actually coach.

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

If they are serious about uptempo, they should look at Phelbin's practice method at the Dolphins, which was shown on Hard Knocks. He runs more plays in practice than any NFL team.

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2012/07/29/miami-dolphins-making-the-most-of-limited-practice-time-to-get-snaps-for-the-quarterbacks/

"The Dolphins split the practice field in half, and essentially are running two practices simultaneously – the starting unit on one half of the field, and the backups on the other half. Offensive coordinator Mike Sherman said most training camp practices entail 75-85 live practice reps, but estimated that the Dolphins are getting 150-160 snaps per practice. Philbin said he got the idea from Sherman, who ran his practices in similar fashion when he was head coach at Texas A&M the past four years."