• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Whats the word on Coach Kinnan?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  831
  • Days Won:  0

So Kinnan is locked in a small room with a chalk board drawing up plays?

What?!?!?!

Are you just attempting to increase your post count?

Uh no. It was sounding from some posts he's just at USF to design plays, not actually coach.

:facepalm:  Please explain or was this just your take/twist on what others had to say?

• Upvote 1

• Content Count:  831
  • Days Won:  0

If they are serious about uptempo, they should look at Phelbin's practice method at the Dolphins, which was shown on Hard Knocks. He runs more plays in practice than any NFL team.

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2012/07/29/miami-dolphins-making-the-most-of-limited-practice-time-to-get-snaps-for-the-quarterbacks/

"The Dolphins split the practice field in half, and essentially are running two practices simultaneously – the starting unit on one half of the field, and the backups on the other half. Offensive coordinator Mike Sherman said most training camp practices entail 75-85 live practice reps, but estimated that the Dolphins are getting 150-160 snaps per practice. Philbin said he got the idea from Sherman, who ran his practices in similar fashion when he was head coach at Texas A&M the past four years."

This post IMO is kind irrelevant in the fact that you are mentioning an NFL team with well conditioned pro athletes.

Correct me if I'm wrong but they are most likely running this in practice for more or less conditioning drills as what offense in the NFL other than Kelly run Eagles actually put that product on the field during game day?

I get where you're headed but I think the staff will do what works for them whether its 50 plays or 250 plays during practice. 

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

I like the idea of fast paced if it's efficient. If we just go 3 and out in under a minute it will only put more pressure on our defense.

we need to run read option a lot this year. pass 15 times per game

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

Seems from the other thread Kinnan has all the same functions as before as an offensive consultant just now full time staff. Still unclear what his gameday roll will be...

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20150225/ARCHIVES/502251038

That seems to be the most detailed info I have found. Couple that with some of the other comments and it seems he will have the headsets on talkimg to the coaches on gameday.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

That seems to be the most detailed info I have found. Couple that with some of the other comments and it seems he will have the headsets on talkimg to the coaches on gameday.

The more plugged in he is the better. We need more people who know how to win involved with our team.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

The more plugged in he is the better. We need more people who know how to win involved with our team.

I am of the mind that this speaks volumes for Taggart.  I mean he's going through the bumps a young coach goes through, but to his credit he made some really good moves to get this thing back on track.  What he's lacked, he has surrounded himself with.  It's not easy to get a guy like Kinnan, whether he coached you or not.  I remember the lack of relationship that existed between he and Holtz.  I like the change in philosophy and staff additions.  I've always liked the talent.  

I am of the mind that this speaks volumes for Taggart. I mean he's going through the bumps a young coach goes through, but to his credit he made some really good moves to get this thing back on track. What he's lacked, he has surrounded himself with. It's not easy to get a guy like Kinnan, whether he coached you or not. I remember the lack of relationship that existed between he and Holtz. I like the change in philosophy and staff additions. I've always liked the talent.

Agreed. I made the same point at the end of last season when he cleaned house. Some thought he made a mistake getting rid of Bres and the others... we will find out soon enough...

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

I am of the mind that this speaks volumes for Taggart. I mean he's going through the bumps a young coach goes through, but to his credit he made some really good moves to get this thing back on track. What he's lacked, he has surrounded himself with. It's not easy to get a guy like Kinnan, whether he coached you or not. I remember the lack of relationship that existed between he and Holtz. I like the change in philosophy and staff additions. I've always liked the talent.

Agreed. I made the same point at the end of last season when he cleaned house. Some thought he made a mistake getting rid of Bres and the others... we will find out soon enough...

Yes we will.  I'm actually excited about this season!

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

For Danny Hope, South Florida’s co-offensive coordinator/offensive line coach, having Kinnan on board bleeds into the surreal. While at Eastern Kentucky, Kinnan recruited Hope out of Miami Killian High. Later, at Manatee, he gave Hope his first coaching job.

“He made a huge impact on my life in a lot of ways,†Hope said, “and to be here now, working with him again, is an honor and a privilege that is second to none. It’s a perfect fit in a lot of ways for both of us, as far as where we’re at in our football coaching careers.â€

http://preps.heraldtribune.com/2015/03/31/kinnan-is-back-in-the-game/

Makes you wonder if CWT would done this from the moment he got hired. I still believed that Woolard made a huge mistake in not finding the resources for Taggart to hire an experienced staff instead of the relatively youthful staff that he wound up mostly b/c of lack of money.

IIRC, we  flirted with a couple experienced assistants but couldn't pay up. Considering how important it was to get this hire "right" Woolard should have used some creativity to find the money to surround CWT with the staff needed to give him the best shot at being successful. That is why I think brining  Tomey and Kinnan were brilliant moves by Harlan and Taggart as the insight from some of the crusty old-timers can often times win you one or two games by themselves due to their experience.

Edited by CyberBull