• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

So After A Couple Years In The AAC

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  6,752
  • Days Won:  3

Not really sure what you're getting at there. If in the future, we get to the point of challenging for/occasionally winning conference championships .... going to and winning bowl games ... getting the occasional big ooc win .... what 'remember win' scenario(s) are you talking about that will temper THAT success? Those blissful days of the 3rd and 4th place finishes in a BCS conference? Those 4 or 5 weeks in 2007 we were in the tall cotton until we crapped the bed in conference play ..... again?

I draw that hard line with the P5 (formerly BCS). The have and the have not. Finishing mid pack in the 'in crowd', with the potential by virtue of membership, a chance for one of the 'means something' bowls - against the making chicken soup from the AAC championship game and an appearance in an Oh Yeah Bowl. I reckon, until such time as I see conference championships coming to fruition, and the occasional, elusive, giant-slaying OOC upset, I have no recourse but to settle for what we have and accept the fact that the upward trajectory* has pretty much leveled out. 

* - not to be confused with W/L numbers.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,018
  • Days Won:  469

Come on man, we get to play UCF every year now!!!

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,896
  • Content Count:  66,077
  • Days Won:  172

It's not about money. It's about relevance. Meaningful games. Competing at a high level. Winning the Sun Belt isn't what most backed in the days you say we "crapped".

The easier path is to lie down into the oblivion of the AAC.

this nails it on the head for me

doesnt make us any less a usf fan than the next guy

brad i never knew you felt this way

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,584
  • Days Won:  423

It's not about money. It's about relevance. Meaningful games. Competing at a high level. Winning the Sun Belt isn't what most backed in the days you say we "crapped".

And hopefully Brad NOW sees the error of his ways ....

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

And hopefully Brad NOW sees the error of his ways ....

I've had my share of melancholy moments about the Bulls, gotta give Brad a break here.

[edit] - it'll get better, bud :04-cheers:  (...I hope)

Edited by raptorcj

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,685
  • Days Won:  108

Meaningful meaning there's an ultimate goal.  I guess if you're still hung up on a conference championship that will eventually happen if this league stays together.

I was hoping we'd be positioned for more than that.  Don't get excited.  I'm not being critical of your enjoyment in the AAC.  To each his own.

Here's the thing about that.  I believe CJL was fired because every one at USF was hoping for more than where we were (no Top 25 finishes). Things did not work out with Holtz, but it wasn't because the people you hate most in this world, JG and DW, didn't want to compete for a national championship.  Sometimes things don't work out (see Rodriguez, Rich @ Michigan).  

I don't hate Punch and Judy, but I have always said this continuing debacle occurred on their watch.  And then Trip argues with me and another member breaks out the Law of Random Nature to exonerate them.

You don't believe they had anything to do with "CJL was fired because every one at USF was hoping for more than where we were (no Top 25 finishes)".  They were "in charge".  It was their program, their responsibility.  They made bad decisions.  They had no courage.  Otherwise, I am sure they are nice people.  I met Woolard.  Seemed like quite an introvert, but a nice guy.  You spent more time with them than me.  I'm not clouded by the personal time with them.  I see it for what it is, then and now.

Anyone at the helm in a real business would be out of business, despite external factors.  We just don't take it seriously and many are happy with that.  My expectations are properly set for the future, but I'll not forget the past and how we got here.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

I don't hate Punch and Judy, but I have always said this continuing debacle occurred on their watch.  And then Trip argues with me and another member breaks out the Law of Random Nature to exonerate them.

You don't believe they had anything to do with "CJL was fired because every one at USF was hoping for more than where we were (no Top 25 finishes)".  They were "in charge".  It was their program, their responsibility.  They made bad decisions.  They had no courage.  Otherwise, I am sure they are nice people.  I met Woolard.  Seemed like quite an introvert, but a nice guy.  You spent more time with them than me.  I'm not clouded by the personal time with them.  I see it for what it is, then and now.

Anyone at the helm in a real business would be out of business, despite external factors.  We just don't take it seriously and many are happy with that.  My expectations are properly set for the future, but I'll not forget the past and how we got here.

Wile Judy and Doug may be in the top representative position.. are they actually "in charge"?

Large donors are the one's with the actual power... or at the very least, substantial influence.  And being a school with a smaller pool, they probably hold even more weight.

Look at other far established programs... what the high donors say, goes.  No matter what the president or AD actually want.

And based on what I've read before, the donors wanted him out.

I don't hate Punch and Judy, but I have always said this continuing debacle occurred on their watch. And then Trip argues with me and another member breaks out the Law of Random Nature to exonerate them.

You don't believe they had anything to do with "CJL was fired because every one at USF was hoping for more than where we were (no Top 25 finishes)". They were "in charge". It was their program, their responsibility. They made bad decisions. They had no courage. Otherwise, I am sure they are nice people. I met Woolard. Seemed like quite an introvert, but a nice guy. You spent more time with them than me. I'm not clouded by the personal time with them. I see it for what it is, then and now.

Anyone at the helm in a real business would be out of business, despite external factors. We just don't take it seriously and many are happy with that. My expectations are properly set for the future, but I'll not forget the past and how we got here.

Wile Judy and Doug may be in the top representative position.. are they actually "in charge"?

Large donors are the one's with the actual power... or at the very least, substantial influence. And being a school with a smaller pool, they probably hold even more weight.

Look at other far established programs... what the high donors say, goes. No matter what the president or AD actually want.

And based on what I've read before, the donors wanted him out.

Exactly. A failure in leadership.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  6,752
  • Days Won:  3

I'm still waiting for one of the 'large donors*' to step forward and say 'Yep. It was me. I indeed had a hand in the removal of CJL, because in my green-n-gold heart I felt that he was a road block on our entrance ramp to being a powerhouse o'the south football team, and as such felt that Skip 'Good Citizen' Holtz was our future.' 

* - how's this stuff work? Is it a closely held list of who be droppin' dolla' bills? Just looking for a name to put with no face