• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

So After A Couple Years In The AAC

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

AAC is our coffin

image.jpg?w=480&c=1

• Topic Count:  2,332
  • Content Count:  21,307
  • Days Won:  10

AAC is our coffin

image.jpg?w=480&c=1

See, I like how Greaseball thinks.  Get me someone, anyone while I am waiting

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  6,752
  • Days Won:  3

Two years later I find no value in the AAC other than a softer landing for our football and basketball programs as they plummeted to new lows.

The rest, does it really matter?

R-I-P-gravestone.jpg

It may come down to settling.

To be honest, if it's not football or basketball, I don't follow it. I'm sure in the grand scheme of things golf, tennis, sailing and soccer have value to some people, but the bulk of this board is focused on football & basketball. That being the case, our perennial losing basketball program and taken-a-step-down football program are probably where they should be, if we assume the AAC to be the 'best of the rest'. I'm not holding my breath for a P5 invite and honestly believe that we're going to be here for quite some time to come. Our success will always be tempered by 'remember when'. Not to be snide, but you could string together years of conference golf or tennis championships...but your eyes will always wander towards football and basketball. 'Cause that's what people remember. 

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,352
  • Days Won:  43

If USF can't be in the P5, I am thankful that USF in the AAC! So it is not that bad when you put it that way.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

If USF can't be in the P5, I am thankful that USF in the AAC! So it is not that bad when you put it that way.

Agreed. The best we can hope for in the short/intermediate term is for this conference to develop and the teams get better. This is not necessarily out of the question.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,471
  • Days Won:  13

It's pretty bad

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405

Oh please. There are over 700 schools with football teams. I don't think the 600 or so with marginal facilities and never on TV have pity parties over their situation. You've all gotten sucked into the money side, which has destroyed the FBS. Snap outta it and be glad USF even has a team, much less one with a TV contract. That's much more than they had back when I attended.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,585
  • Days Won:  423

Two years later I find no value in the AAC other than a softer landing for our football and basketball programs as they plummeted to new lows.

The rest, does it really matter?

R-I-P-gravestone.jpg

It may come down to settling.

To be honest, if it's not football or basketball, I don't follow it. I'm sure in the grand scheme of things golf, tennis, sailing and soccer have value to some people, but the bulk of this board is focused on football & basketball. That being the case, our perennial losing basketball program and taken-a-step-down football program are probably where they should be, if we assume the AAC to be the 'best of the rest'. I'm not holding my breath for a P5 invite and honestly believe that we're going to be here for quite some time to come. Our success will always be tempered by 'remember when'. Not to be snide, but you could string together years of conference golf or tennis championships...but your eyes will always wander towards football and basketball. 'Cause that's what people remember. 

Not really sure what you're getting at there. If in the future, we get to the point of challenging for/occasionally winning conference championships .... going to and winning bowl games ... getting the occasional big ooc win .... what 'remember win' scenario(s) are you talking about that will temper THAT success? Those blissful days of the 3rd and 4th place finishes in a BCS conference? Those 4 or 5 weeks in 2007 we were in the tall cotton until we crapped the bed in conference play ..... again?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,585
  • Days Won:  423

Oh please. There are over 700 schools with football teams. I don't think the 600 or so with marginal facilities and never on TV have pity parties over their situation. You've all gotten sucked into the money side, which has destroyed the FBS. Snap outta it and be glad USF even has a team, much less one with a TV contract. That's much more than they had back when I attended.

Have to pretty much agree with most there, especially the pity parties part .......but think it's more being sucked into the caring more about what other people think about your program than you care about it yourself.

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405

There was a time, before the money got way out of hand when conference wasn't an indicator of football

Have to pretty much agree with most there, especially the pity parties part .......but think it's more being sucked into the caring more about what other people think about your program than you care about it yourself.

Care more about the conference than the team.