• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

So After A Couple Years In The AAC

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

It's all hindsight. USF took a big gamble and lost. Even if we kept CJL and fired Doug, I still think we'd be left behind because all the schools that left had more to offer and were bigger brands. Cincy and UConn were always better brands than us/offered more and here we are with them still.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,685
  • Days Won:  108

I'm still waiting for one of the 'large donors*' to step forward and say 'Yep. It was me. I indeed had a hand in the removal of CJL, because in my green-n-gold heart I felt that he was a road block on our entrance ramp to being a powerhouse o'the south football team, and as such felt that Skip 'Good Citizen' Holtz was our future.' 

* - how's this stuff work? Is it a closely held list of who be droppin' dolla' bills? Just looking for a name to put with no face

All I can tell you is that CSH was told by a B of T member after his first year that a N C was expected the following year.  That is from CSH himself when we saw him last year.  

I don't hate Punch and Judy, but I have always said this continuing debacle occurred on their watch And then Trip argues with me and another member breaks out the Law of Random Nature to exonerate them.

You don't believe they had anything to do with "CJL was fired because every one at USF was hoping for more than where we were (no Top 25 finishes)".  They were "in charge".  It was their program, their responsibility.  They made bad decisions.  They had no courage.  Otherwise, I am sure they are nice people.  I met Woolard.  Seemed like quite an introvert, but a nice guy.  You spent more time with them than me.  I'm not clouded by the personal time with them.  I see it for what it is, then and now.

Anyone at the helm in a real business would be out of business, despite external factors.  We just don't take it seriously and many are happy with that.  My expectations are properly set for the future, but I'll not forget the past and how we got here.

Okay, that is a given.  But, as I said, it wasn't for not wanting to do better.  

I'm still waiting for one of the 'large donors*' to step forward and say 'Yep. It was me. I indeed had a hand in the removal of CJL, because in my green-n-gold heart I felt that he was a road block on our entrance ramp to being a powerhouse o'the south football team, and as such felt that Skip 'Good Citizen' Holtz was our future.' 

* - how's this stuff work? Is it a closely held list of who be droppin' dolla' bills? Just looking for a name to put with no face

I can tell you that sitting near some big donors at that away Rutgers debacle that they weren't happy.  They went to sit in the bus after the 3rd period. I can't tell you that they were responsible for CJL getting fired.  They left the AD's box at halftime, came to sit among the common folk for the 2nd half and they were seriously pissed.  Everyone has their opinion on this matter.  Mine is still that that game was the beginning of the end of CJL.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,018
  • Days Won:  469

* - how's this stuff work? Is it a closely held list of who be droppin' dolla' bills? Just looking for a name to put with no face.

All I can tell you is that CSH was told by a B of T member after his first year that a N C was expected the following year. That is from CSH himself when we saw him last year.

That shows you what we're up against. Letting know nothings control things.

I don't hate Punch and Judy, but I have always said this continuing debacle occurred on their watch. And then Trip argues with me and another member breaks out the Law of Random Nature to exonerate them.

You don't believe they had anything to do with "CJL was fired because every one at USF was hoping for more than where we were (no Top 25 finishes)". They were "in charge". It was their program, their responsibility. They made bad decisions. They had no courage. Otherwise, I am sure they are nice people. I met Woolard. Seemed like quite an introvert, but a nice guy. You spent more time with them than me. I'm not clouded by the personal time with them. I see it for what it is, then and now.

Anyone at the helm in a real business would be out of business, despite external factors. We just don't take it seriously and many are happy with that. My expectations are properly set for the future, but I'll not forget the past and how we got here.

Okay, that is a given. But, as I said, it wasn't for not wanting to do better.

Wanting to do better, but not knowing how.

• Upvote 1

* - how's this stuff work? Is it a closely held list of who be droppin' dolla' bills? Just looking for a name to put with no face.

I can tell you that sitting near some big donors at that away Rutgers debacle that they weren't happy. They went to sit in the bus after the 3rd period. I can't tell you that they were responsible for CJL getting fired. They left the AD's box at halftime, came to sit among the common folk for the 2nd half and they were seriously pissed. Everyone has their opinion on this matter. Mine is still that that game was the beginning of the end of CJL.

Would be nice to have spoken to them, help identify their blind spots. I wonder how many that were on the crusade to rid ourselves of Leavitt's success are still hanging around this low level underperforming mid-major.

Still amazing after all these years.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

The biggest thing I see, that rarely anyone talks about, is that USF's firing of Leavitt came a couple weeks too late.  If we had done it earlier, we probably could have hired Charlie Strong instead of Skip Holtz, and my speculation, not based in fact whatsoever, is that we would have gotten Teddy Bridgewater at USF and our football program would have made a 180 degree turn from where it did.  

It took too long to poll all interested parties. Decision making was not a strength of the administration.

I can tell you that sitting near some big donors at that away Rutgers debacle that they weren't happy. They went to sit in the bus after the 3rd period. I can't tell you that they were responsible for CJL getting fired. They left the AD's box at halftime, came to sit among the common folk for the 2nd half and they were seriously pissed. Everyone has their opinion on this matter. Mine is still that that game was the beginning of the end of CJL.

Would be nice to have spoken to them, help identify their blind spots. I wonder how many that were on the crusade to rid ourselves of Leavitt's success are still hanging around this low level underperforming mid-major.

Still amazing after all these years.

Sitting out in that cold watching that sorry game I was just upset I couldn't get on the bus with them.  I wasn't in the mood to talk anyone off the ledge that night.  We did leave early and ran into CJL's mother-in-law getting off the shuttle.  She was leaving early as well.  

We don't know all the big muckety-mucks.  But the ones that I knew/recognized then are still around and still supporting.