• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

So After A Couple Years In The AAC

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  386
  • Days Won:  0

It's all hindsight. USF took a big gamble and lost. Even if we kept CJL and fired Doug, I still think we'd be left behind because all the schools that left had more to offer and were bigger brands. Cincy and UConn were always better brands than us/offered more and here we are with them still.

Couldn't agree more. There's been no indication up to this point that football was any kind of serious driver in realignment. If CJL was here, we'd still be in the AAC with one difference being we'd be 6-0 against the Kanigits.

There's also no guarantee that CJL wouldn't have left us for a bigger job.

I agree that winning in football isn't the driving force in realignment. It's about the brand and the money your program can bring in.

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,466
  • Days Won:  25

Just for useless information. FSU is the youngest P5 school at 68 years, and they're at #15 on the D1 age list. We're at #8 (18 years) followed by UCF at #9 (36 years).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_win-loss_records

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

It's all hindsight. USF took a big gamble and lost. Even if we kept CJL and fired Doug, I still think we'd be left behind because all the schools that left had more to offer and were bigger brands. Cincy and UConn were always better brands than us/offered more and here we are with them still.

Couldn't agree more. There's been no indication up to this point that football was any kind of serious driver in realignment. If CJL was here, we'd still be in the AAC with one difference being we'd be 6-0 against the Kanigits.

There's also no guarantee that CJL wouldn't have left us for a bigger job.

I agree that winning in football isn't the driving force in realignment. It's about the brand and the money your program can bring in.

I can't disagree with the conclusion, but there's no way you build a brand and bring in money without a winning program. I just can't see us getting that BE invite without having already proven we were the 'rising star' brand. Now we have to prove we can be the 'phoenix'. These ashes stink.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,638
  • Days Won:  424

Just for useless information. FSU is the youngest P5 school at 68 years, and they're at #15 on the D1 age list. We're at #8 (18 years) followed by UCF at #9 (36 years).

Interesting .... The 5 youngest players in big time college football (Boise notwithstanding) are 68, 89, 90, 96 & 102 years old.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Interesting .... The 5 youngest players in big time college football (Boise notwithstanding) are 68, 89, 90, 96 & 102 years old.

"easy, my man, we gotta get you suited up first!"

284931.jpg

• Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

Leavitt isn't material to this conversation. If we hired Nick Sabin or Urban Meyer we'd still be in the AAC. Realignment isn't driven by wins and if it was we'd still be out.

Leavitt could have went on a rampage like Boise did a few years ago and we'd still be right here in the American Athletics Conference.

The concept of winning cures all in this situation doesn't apply.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,638
  • Days Won:  424

I don't hate Punch and Judy, but I have always said this continuing debacle occurred on their watch.  And then Trip argues with me and another member breaks out the Law of Random Nature to exonerate them.

You don't believe they had anything to do with "CJL was fired because every one at USF was hoping for more than where we were (no Top 25 finishes)".  They were "in charge".  It was their program, their responsibility.  They made bad decisions.  They had no courage.  Otherwise, I am sure they are nice people.  I met Woolard.  Seemed like quite an introvert, but a nice guy.  You spent more time with them than me.  I'm not clouded by the personal time with them.  I see it for what it is, then and now.

Anyone at the helm in a real business would be out of business, despite external factors.  We just don't take it seriously and many are happy with that.  My expectations are properly set for the future, but I'll not forget the past and how we got here.

And they are ... Both Skip and Woolard, the ones that were directly responsible for football and the ones everybody wants to blame for its' debacle, are gone.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

Skip gone so Woolard could hide a couple more years and then Woolard left on his terms with a boatload of cash. His boss is still smiling and the business is still operating - but unsuccessfully. We were had. No two ways about it. What a mess.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Skip gone so Woolard could hide a couple more years and then Woolard left on his terms with a boatload of cash. His boss is still smiling and the business is still operating - but unsuccessfully. We were had. No two ways about it. What a mess.

Not sure why you hate Judy so much.

She fired a loose cannon division leader and stuck with a loyal corporate lieutenant too long, to be sure, but under her administration, USF has moved closer to our AAU goal than perhaps all other administrations combined. Think of your degree as shares in that business. She has been a HUGE asset to the University overall - your degree is worth more today than it was when she started. OK, one of the promising young SBU's has had a bad couple of years, but the corporation as a whole has outperformed. More and more people know and respect USF, and she has put pieces in place to get said SBU back on track.

All things considered, I think she's done a pretty **** good job. USF is about more than a football team.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

the shear size of usf,tv market and talent that surrounds the school would indicate we deserve to be in a p5

I blame our leaders for not selling our school