• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Post spring depth chart

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

I don't think we should be counting on Thor since he was recovering all spring he shouldn't be listed on the depth chart at all.  Also, I don't understand the whole bull position at all, Josh Black is quick but he's not going to be shedding any UCF lineman anytime soon and he'll get ran over.  We need to go to a balanced attack like we had with Selvie and JPP, why do we have to be cute with our defensive lineman since Leavitt left??  Put the best combo of strength size and speed at end position and let them play every down.  IMO that would be Eric Lee on one End and Bronson on the other.  Have Awoleke back up Bronson and have Love backup Lee.  Obviously DT should be Senat and Calloway just about every down if possible.

My thoughts on QB are this.  Let the QB make mistakes as long as he's trying to score TDs.  This kinda falls on Taggart's shoulders with managing risks with the QB's, but If we happen to throw interceptions I think the strength of the team which is the defense will prevail and either get the ball back or hold the other team to a FG.  This was how we made bowl games consistently in the past.  Playing keep away and scoring field goals hasn't worked and we look weak.  It didn't work in either of the two past spring games either.  Let Bench lead the team, let him take the chances he likes to take.  But if you are going to go with Flowers just stick with him dear God and let him take chances too.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

^ I still think Flowers needs his redshirt year to develop more. I'd like to see Bench lead the team this year, then let Flowers have 3 years at the helm. But, we'll likely see both QB's play throughout the year again.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

One thing I do like is the increasing number of Bay area kids on the two deep.  It's been talked about a long time by all USF coaches, but it seems like we are finally seeing the ability to keep a few kids home.  That's a positive.

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Most concerned about the oline, 3 out of 5 starters are under 300#'s

If we're shifting to a more spread style offense, this shouldn't be too much of an issue. OL under a spread offense need to be more fleet footed. I'm also concerned about the o-line, beyond Thor (assuming he stays healthy), who else is there?

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Most concerned about the oline, 3 out of 5 starters are under 300#'s

If we're shifting to a more spread style offense, this shouldn't be too much of an issue. OL under a spread offense need to be more fleet footed. I'm also concerned about the o-line, beyond Thor (assuming he stays healthy), who else is there?

Yes OL will be less of an issue than in a power run offense, but our tackles are scary thin. Djugelbevic is a former walk on, Nelson was on the DL and has seen no real time on the field as tackle. Amichia is probably better suited for the right side and Knox is a RS freshman. If Glen Bethel does not make it to campus and take over at LT then we will have problems.

• Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  171
  • Days Won:  0

I think this dline is similar to Leavitt years. If you recall Leavitt always had undersized d lines. Selvie played at 230 soaking wet. 

I don't think we should be counting on Thor since he was recovering all spring he shouldn't be listed on the depth chart at all.  Also, I don't understand the whole bull position at all, Josh Black is quick but he's not going to be shedding any UCF lineman anytime soon and he'll get ran over.  We need to go to a balanced attack like we had with Selvie and JPP, why do we have to be cute with our defensive lineman since Leavitt left??  Put the best combo of strength size and speed at end position and let them play every down.  IMO that would be Eric Lee on one End and Bronson on the other.  Have Awoleke back up Bronson and have Love backup Lee.  Obviously DT should be Senat and Calloway just about every down if possible.

My thoughts on QB are this.  Let the QB make mistakes as long as he's trying to score TDs.  This kinda falls on Taggart's shoulders with managing risks with the QB's, but If we happen to throw interceptions I think the strength of the team which is the defense will prevail and either get the ball back or hold the other team to a FG.  This was how we made bowl games consistently in the past.  Playing keep away and scoring field goals hasn't worked and we look weak.  It didn't work in either of the two past spring games either.  Let Bench lead the team, let him take the chances he likes to take.  But if you are going to go with Flowers just stick with him dear God and let him take chances too.

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

Selvie in his sophomore year was probably 225. In his junior and senior years when he tried to get NFL ready I think he was approaching 250-60. JPP was the same. Selvie just lost his explosiveness when he did it, JPP was a prodigy.

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

I seem to remember Selvie beefing up to around 245 or so his last year or 2 here, but he had trouble putting on weight from what I remember.  Guy has beefed up to 270 now.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

I seem to remember Selvie beefing up to around 245 or so his last year or 2 here, but he had trouble putting on weight from what I remember.  Guy has beefed up to 270 now.

I heard it was our meal program... :D

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

Also, I don't understand the whole bull position at all, Josh Black is quick but he's not going to be shedding any UCF lineman anytime soon and he'll get ran over.  We need to go to a balanced attack like we had with Selvie and JPP, why do we have to be cute with our defensive lineman since Leavitt left??  Put the best combo of strength size and speed at end position and let them play every down.  IMO that would be Eric Lee on one End and Bronson on the other.  Have Awoleke back up Bronson and have Love backup Lee. 

It isn't as though we have a roster full of NFL ready DEs