• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Post spring depth chart

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  715
  • Days Won:  1

It is my understanding they will be serving Big Macks  to all the DL players. :angrymob:

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

You put a LB (6-2 225) in the dirt as a DE and expect him to perform the same as True DE (who needs to be 6-4 250 minimum IMO with enough wingspan to bat down balls on top of that).  I just don't get it.  We may not have many NFL ready players but I don't want to try and fit a square peg in a round hole trying to be cute when we are gonna get ran over only having 2 LBs to stop the run (maybe only Auggie Sanchez since Harris will be essentially an OLB.  I offered my solution based on the current roster which I think will yeild better results.  If you guys think it's a bad idea then explain why I'm wrong.

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

If I recall correctly, stopping the run was always an issue with USF teams, even with JPP ans Selvie on the roster. My point was a balanced attack on the D-line is way more easy to come by when you have JPP and Selvie at both ends. Perhaps the Bull position is first and foremost a pass rusher, which Josh Black appeared to be adept at lin his limited PT last year. I feel pretty good with Calloway and Senat in the middle to force things outside and let the speedy back 7 chase the play laterally.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

At least we got sacks from our Dlinemen.  Decent running teams(Pitt, UConn come to mind), were our achilles heel, not sure who fits that bill in the American.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  159
  • Days Won:  0

You put a LB (6-2 225) in the dirt as a DE and expect him to perform the same as True DE (who needs to be 6-4 250 minimum IMO with enough wingspan to bat down balls on top of that).  I just don't get it.  We may not have many NFL ready players but I don't want to try and fit a square peg in a round hole trying to be cute when we are gonna get ran over only having 2 LBs to stop the run (maybe only Auggie Sanchez since Harris will be essentially an OLB.  I offered my solution based on the current roster which I think will yeild better results.  If you guys think it's a bad idea then explain why I'm wrong.

IDK... He's 6'2 230 and will likely play around 235 next year.  The only year we had DEs starting where they were both 250 pounds or more was in 2009.  That was because in Selvie's senior year he got up to 245-250 and Pierre Paul came in at 260. Outside of that season, we've always been between 230-250 at the DE position.  We'd see a couple of heavy guys on the roster who didn't play, but by your standards we've only had a few legit DEs starting in our schools history.  I mean Selvie likely was not 250 his senior year and he appeared to be a step slower anyway.  

Size does not a college DE make. I'm reminded of Bruce Irvin at West Virginia playing DE at 6'3 235.... he gave us fits.  I think Black can be just as effective.  I also think this system is different than what CJL ran and has different demands from guys.  So far I like the system.  At least we won't look like we've never seen the spread before this year.   I've checked looked at teams that run the 4-2-5 effectively and this is about the size for the average "Bull" (what USF calls it now) position.  One end is 250 plus and the other is between 225-235.  They do this because he drops into coverage sometimes.  Also it appears we have packages with bigger DEs.  I'm not getting too caught up in the depth chart because there are other guys coming in that may contribute.  Specifically Gonzales... So we'll see how the DL unfolds.  I think they will be strong... we're in a good place on defense I feel.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  119

He also needs to tread lightly. If he outright named Flowers the starter and Bench decided to transfer as well...

Bench won't transfer. He could sit out a year, and play one more... I just don't see that happening.

Agreed. He'd be playing back-up wherever he went. Worst case scenario for bench here is that quinton flowers becomes the second coming of Grothe and stays healthy the entire year and Bench only gets to see the field in garbage time.

Let that marinade for a second. It's not likely although it would be amazing if it did happen. Bench will get some PT next year for sure.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

IDK... He's 6'2 230 and will likely play around 235 next year.  The only year we had DEs starting where they were both 250 pounds or more was in 2009.  That was because in Selvie's senior year he got up to 245-250 and Pierre Paul came in at 260. Outside of that season, we've always been between 230-250 at the DE position.  We'd see a couple of heavy guys on the roster who didn't play, but by your standards we've only had a few legit DEs starting in our schools history.  I mean Selvie likely was not 250 his senior year and he appeared to be a step slower anyway.  

Size does not a college DE make. I'm reminded of Bruce Irvin at West Virginia playing DE at 6'3 235.... he gave us fits.  I think Black can be just as effective.  I also think this system is different than what CJL ran and has different demands from guys.  So far I like the system.  At least we won't look like we've never seen the spread before this year.   I've checked looked at teams that run the 4-2-5 effectively and this is about the size for the average "Bull" (what USF calls it now) position.  One end is 250 plus and the other is between 225-235.  They do this because he drops into coverage sometimes.  Also it appears we have packages with bigger DEs.  I'm not getting too caught up in the depth chart because there are other guys coming in that may contribute.  Specifically Gonzales... So we'll see how the DL unfolds.  I think they will be strong... we're in a good place on defense I feel.

To add to this Black is playing a 9 technique and doesn't need to be 250+ to do that effectively in this scheme.  As a matter of fact the CJ Johnson who played the same spot at Ole Miss this past season played it very effectively at 6' 2" 225lbs, in the SEC.  What you want out of the Bull spot is pretty much a rush LB who puts their hand in the dirt and attacks the edge with their athleticism.  What you want physically out of a 9 tech end is way different than what you want out of say a 6 or 7 technique end.   

• Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  171

Good point Bull Dozer, it appears that Allen's defenses in the past have had guys with similar size. As for Bruce Irvin I do remember the one knock on him was his inability to stop the run but he also played in a 3-3-5 stack so I think he had more responsibility in the run game. I'm sure the staff has some packages with bigger ends to stop the run. Looks

Iike we will have some nice depth on the line this year and hopefully Demetrius Hill makes his way back this summer.

To add to this Black is playing a 9 technique and doesn't need to be 250+ to do that effectively in this scheme.  As a matter of fact the CJ Johnson who played the same spot at Ole Miss this past season played it very effectively at 6' 2" 225lbs, in the SEC.  What you want out of the Bull spot is pretty much a rush LB who puts their hand in the dirt and attacks the edge with their athleticism.  What you want physically out of a 9 tech end is way different than what you want out of say a 6 or 7 technique end.   

Exactly.  In the past we were able to get those big athletic guys flying around and making plays.  I think this defense offers that opportunity again.  We have some question marks but not as many as we've had in the past three years, really four, so I'm comfortable with that.  I think the defense will be solid.  I think they will actually be pretty good.  We're looking at the two deep but on the DLine we've seen tons of packages this fall.  Some where  Bronson moves inside to the tackle.  Others were some combination of Lee, Bronson, and Love at the DE.  Also it looks like Hill will be back with the team so that will add to the DE position.  That with Black, Bullock, and Jackson should have us in a good spot.  We always focus on the two deep when we go much deeper than that on defense.  Also that guy Daniel Awoleke is going to play.  He's a specimen and he had a good spring, I know he's a walk-on, but that guy is big, fast, and as strong as bull.  

Also I think the special teams should be really good this year.  I mean the coverage teams.  When you have a deep defense, you end up having great special teams.  I'm just wondering who'll emerge as the KR/PR.  We have some speed now.

Good point Bull Dozer, it appears that Allen's defenses in the past have had guys with similar size. As for Bruce Irvin I do remember the one knock on him was his inability to stop the run but he also played in a 3-3-5 stack so I think he had more responsibility in the run game. I'm sure the staff has some packages with bigger ends to stop the run. Looks

Iike we will have some nice depth on the line this year and hopefully Demetrius Hill makes his way back this summer.

If Hill is back like expected, the DL will be straight.  It could be one  of better Dlines in years in terms of performance.  

• Upvote 1