• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

2015 Football Recruiting Discussion ... And Other Stuff

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

Collin Sherwin â€@USFCollin 13m13 minutes ago

You stay classy, Bobby Petrino: Longtime Louisville Commit Asked to Greyshirt Two Days Before Signing Day - http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/longtime-louisville-commit-asked-to-greyshirt-two-days-before-signing-day-161811413.html â€¦

Matt Colburn was verbally committed to Louisville since June. That changed on Monday.

According to multiple outlets, Louisville pulled its scholarship offer from Colburn, a Rivals three-star running back from Dutch Fork High School in Irmo, South Carolina. Instead of signing his national letter of intent with the Cardinals on Wednesday with the rest of the program’s 2015 class, Louisville has extended a grayshirt offer for Colburn, which would delay his enrollment until January.

Colburn told the Courier-Journal that Louisville assistant Tony Grantham said the team “needed additional defensive backs†in its 2015 class, so the program could not accept his letter of intent this week. Louisville lost three defensive backs to early entry for the NFL draft.

You know what Colburn could do? He could reopen his recruiting and visit some more schools that have scholarships available. He could find a school that wants him and fits what he's looking for. He has 5+ months until practice to find a new school.

That's what he's doing. According to the article, his high school coach is trying to help him secure an ACC or SEC offer.

Then I'm only half-sympathetic since he's openly declaring he has to have an SEC or ACC offer. I think at this point, declaring yourself too good for other conference's schools is a bit foolish. Especially Navy.

Completely agree

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550

Joey Knight â€@TBTimes_Bulls 17m17 minutes ago Florida, USA

Just asked @LemmingReport if he thinks Willie Taggart will land a signing-day surprise. "I definitely think he will." #USF

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Just asked @LemmingReport if he thinks Willie Taggart will land a signing-day surprise. "I definitely think he will." #USF

Does only signing one QB count as a surprise?

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,582
  • Days Won:  423

Targer-missed-Shutterstock-B.jpg

Collin Sherwin â€@USFCollin 13m13 minutes ago

You stay classy, Bobby Petrino: Longtime Louisville Commit Asked to Greyshirt Two Days Before Signing Day - http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/longtime-louisville-commit-asked-to-greyshirt-two-days-before-signing-day-161811413.html â€¦

Matt Colburn was verbally committed to Louisville since June. That changed on Monday.

According to multiple outlets, Louisville pulled its scholarship offer from Colburn, a Rivals three-star running back from Dutch Fork High School in Irmo, South Carolina. Instead of signing his national letter of intent with the Cardinals on Wednesday with the rest of the program’s 2015 class, Louisville has extended a grayshirt offer for Colburn, which would delay his enrollment until January.

Colburn told the Courier-Journal that Louisville assistant Tony Grantham said the team “needed additional defensive backs†in its 2015 class, so the program could not accept his letter of intent this week. Louisville lost three defensive backs to early entry for the NFL draft.

You know what Colburn could do? He could reopen his recruiting and visit some more schools that have scholarships available. He could find a school that wants him and fits what he's looking for. He has 5+ months until practice to find a new school.

That's what he's doing. According to the article, his high school coach is trying to help him secure an ACC or SEC offer.

My question is does gray shirting mean he signs an NLI but just waits one semester before enrolling?

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993

Grayshirt means he will enroll spring of 2016 instead of Fall of 2015.  So he will not be on scholarship and will not enroll anywhere as his eligibility clock will start running upon enrollment.  It's a tough spot to be in if the staff did not discuss that with him early on.

I know Austin Reiter's offer was originally as a greyshirt but when a couple other kids did not qualify he was on scholarship immediately.

Edited by SANJAY

Grayshirt means he will enroll spring of 2016 instead of Fall of 2015.  So he will not be on scholarship and will not enroll anywhere as his eligibility clock will start running upon enrollment.  It's a tough spot to be in if the staff did not discuss that with him early on.

I know Austin Reiter's offer was originally as a greyshirt but when a couple other kids did not qualify he was on scholarship immediately.

I guess my point is can they pull the grayshirt offer in December if they change their mind?

• Topic Count:  347
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  0

I guess my point is can they pull the grayshirt offer in December if they change their mind?

Yes, they can...

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Yes.

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

Signing a second would be a surprise, as it looks like it's been one-and-done for a while