• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

New defense, new offense, does CWT get 2 more years?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

I don't see how our low rated recruiting class this year is because we are waiting on undecided recruits that will commit late. The classes are ranked in relation to other teams in the country. Presumably all teams would suffer from similar situations of undecided recruits which wouldn't effect the rankings. Unless you are saying that USF has an abnormal number of recruits committing late. Last years class was looking good and rated higher than 50 from very early on.

players tend to commit to their best offer early if they commit early at all. Taggart is going after players that have better offers right now.

last year we had about 10 3 or 4 star high school players commit after January 1 according to rivals. not all have dates listed.

they include guys like D'Ernest johnson who had offers from west virginia and many others or bayes who had offers from wisconsin and west virginia.

it's not uncommon to pick up quite a bit of your talent late whhen you are in our position. we are not alabama or florida where people jump at their offers.

we are second choice (maybe even lower) for many players that just happen to fall to us when other situations don't pan out. sometimes these players do want to go elsewhere but a scholarship falls through or that school only had them as a backup and their first choice signs. sometimes our coaches sway them at the last minute and yes sometimes we get lucky and a guy wants to stay close to home and commits early.

that's how it works for programs like ours. we get the players that are backup plan for big time schools. once their rosters fill out then we start getting leftovers. better than getting an early commit that only has offers from middle tennessee state.

You gotta look at the year not just the month and day. Jimmy Bayes was committed to USF for over a year. He was actively recruiting on behalf of Taggart. He committed on 1/30/2013 and signed his letter of intent on 2/5/2014. According to Rivals 7 of our 28 committed after 1/1/2014. We're going to need another situation like that to make this a really good class. I'm not saying it can't happen, I'm just not confident it will after another bad year.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,582
  • Days Won:  423

Glad they made the changes. if something isn't working why shouldn't they change?  

Seems like he brought in some guys that might be able to help him tweak his offense. Hopefully he is willing to have an open mind. The playcalling has to be more creative.  I get that he wants to impose his will on teams but you need to have superior talent and we don't have that yet. Maybe in the future if he continues to recruit top notch classes.

The defense definitely needed a change, It's ridiculous playing prevent defense as your base defense in college. There is no reason to rush 3 and drop into a soft zone in almost every scenario. We are not playing Tom  Brady and Peyton Manning every week. We need an aggressive, attacking defense and that wasn't what we were getting.

It's amazing that most of you called him stubborn and now that it seems he is willing to adapt you say he is grasping at straws. I think he realizes his mistakes and is willing to correct them. He is one of the youngest head coaches in college football. anybody who thought he wouldn't go through some growing pains were being unrealistic. Personally I think we are fine and he is showing progress. It wasn't going to be an instant turnaround. He is bringing in plenty of talent and our AD is willing to surround him with some decent coaches that he can learn from.

If it was Taggart's decision to change from a power run to a spread (if we even are) then yes he's shown progress, but we don't know if it was his decision and we don't even know how much of what we've heard is true. Firing a few coaches doesn't show progress, he did that after his first year as well. 

As of right now our recruiting class is looking very weak. In the upper 70's as far as rankings go. He's got a month and a half to pull something out of his ......

Holtz had his classes locked up by now. That was because he recruited guys that didn't have any better offers for the most part. Taggart is in play for some guys that have some pretty good options. no surprise that it would come down to the last minute. Leavitt was the same way. His quality players generally came down to the last day. Holtz offered guys whose next best offer was middle tennessee state or the like.

He is the head coach. Whatever direction the offense takes is his decision. to think otherwise is foolish.

Getting rid of underperforming employees is a step towards progress. They weren't doing their jobs well so he replaced them. It's the first step towards progress. Hopefully these new guys turn out better.

Does it not bother you that he's gone through 2 OC's in as many years?  Or that he has to fire guys that he hired after one year?

Holtz didn't succeed here mainly because of who he had working under him so can't really blame CWT for trying to get it right while he still has the chance ...

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

I don't see how our low rated recruiting class this year is because we are waiting on undecided recruits that will commit late. The classes are ranked in relation to other teams in the country. Presumably all teams would suffer from similar situations of undecided recruits which wouldn't effect the rankings. Unless you are saying that USF has an abnormal number of recruits committing late. Last years class was looking good and rated higher than 50 from very early on.

players tend to commit to their best offer early if they commit early at all. Taggart is going after players that have better offers right now.

last year we had about 10 3 or 4 star high school players commit after January 1 according to rivals. not all have dates listed.

they include guys like D'Ernest johnson who had offers from west virginia and many others or bayes who had offers from wisconsin and west virginia.

it's not uncommon to pick up quite a bit of your talent late whhen you are in our position. we are not alabama or florida where people jump at their offers.

we are second choice (maybe even lower) for many players that just happen to fall to us when other situations don't pan out. sometimes these players do want to go elsewhere but a scholarship falls through or that school only had them as a backup and their first choice signs. sometimes our coaches sway them at the last minute and yes sometimes we get lucky and a guy wants to stay close to home and commits early.

that's how it works for programs like ours. we get the players that are backup plan for big time schools. once their rosters fill out then we start getting leftovers. better than getting an early commit that only has offers from middle tennessee state.

You gotta look at the year not just the month and day. Jimmy Bayes was committed to USF for over a year. He was actively recruiting on behalf of Taggart. He committed on 1/30/2013 and signed his letter of intent on 2/5/2014. According to Rivals 7 of our 28 committed after 1/1/2014. We're going to need another situation like that to make this a really good class. I'm not saying it can't happen, I'm just not confident it will after another bad year.

If you've been following this program since the CJL years you would know that this is when we do our best work.  Just some names for consideration, Dede Lattimore, Kayvon Lattimore, JPP, Sam Barrington and the list goes on and on,  Due to our spot in the pecking order we usually get our best players late....

• Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

Looking forward to seeing cwt coach next year. He is coaching for his career.

I think we'll improve. Though we were losers, we definitely looked more athletic last year. I believe that trend will continue.

But if the season starts bad and cwt knows he's gonna get the hook, the second half of next season could be a new low for us.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

I mistook his visit date which was in January of 2014 as his commitment date. my bad. fact still is that most of our top recruits commit after the big programs start filling out their classes. they wait to see if a spot is still open for them. like I said there is an occasional top recruit that wants to come here but for the most part when we recruit well we are getting guys that didn't make the cut at a bigger program.

this class won't be as big as last years class so it won't be ranked as high. rivals bases their rankings on how many recruits you sign as much as the quality of them. I'm sure the rest of the class will be filled with 3 stars and maybe a 4 star or two. Taggart is saving those spots for guys still on the fence. once they realize not all of them can go to UF or FSU than they start to commit to us.

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276
  • Days Won:  0

Again, we should remember what Houston did:

Houston coach Tony Levine fired after Cougars' 7-5 campaign

“Although we are excited to play in our second straight bowl game, the expectations of our program have changed over the last five years," Rhoades said in a statement.​

http://www.si.com/college-football/2014/12/06/tony-levine-fired-houston-cougars

8-4 (5-3), 7-5 (5-3) the last two years with all the losses except one by one score .... There must have been something else going on there.

One of the main reasons why he was fired was because after UH spent almost $130 Million on their new40,000 seat on-campus stadium...Coach Levine still couldn't attract many fans or booster to games.

Of course, even in Levine's first ever game as UH coach...believe they lost to a Div I-AA team where he fired his OC after just one game (at least one moving up to Div I-A), and they practically did the same thing this year (losing to UTSA at home in their stadium debut).

UH went on the cheap by promoting their special teams coach as their new HC...but it didn't work.

Edited by Knight_Light

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

You gotta look at the year not just the month and day. Jimmy Bayes was committed to USF for over a year. He was actively recruiting on behalf of Taggart. He committed on 1/30/2013and signed his letter of intent on 2/5/2014. According to Rivals 7 of our 28 committed after 1/1/2014. We're going to need another situation like that to make this a really good class. I'm not saying it can't happen, I'm just not confident it will after another bad year.

I mistook his visit date which was in January of 2014 as his commitment date. my bad. fact still is that most of our top recruits commit after the big programs start filling out their classes. they wait to see if a spot is still open for them. like I said there is an occasional top recruit that wants to come here but for the most part when we recruit well we are getting guys that didn't make the cut at a bigger program.

this class won't be as big as last years class so it won't be ranked as high. rivals bases their rankings on how many recruits you sign as much as the quality of them. I'm sure the rest of the class will be filled with 3 stars and maybe a 4 star or two. Taggart is saving those spots for guys still on the fence. once they realize not all of them can go to UF or FSU than they start to commit to us.

Why won't this class be as big? Are we strategically signing fewer kids this year?

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

It won't be as big due to scholarship limits.  We have less scholarships available than we did last year.  The size of you class varies per year because not all players stay in the program for the same amount of time.  Players typically have 5 years to play 4 seasons.  Some players redshirt, some don't, some graduate early and don't play all 4 seasons, some quit, some transfer, some get thrown off the team etc.  So the classes vary in size per year depending on the attrition of your scholarship players. 

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

I'm aware of all of that, I just didn't know we had so few seniors leaving. I thought I read last year that we had the full 25 for this year.