• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

New defense, new offense, does CWT get 2 more years?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Glad they made the changes. if something isn't working why shouldn't they change?  

Seems like he brought in some guys that might be able to help him tweak his offense. Hopefully he is willing to have an open mind. The playcalling has to be more creative.  I get that he wants to impose his will on teams but you need to have superior talent and we don't have that yet. Maybe in the future if he continues to recruit top notch classes.

The defense definitely needed a change, It's ridiculous playing prevent defense as your base defense in college. There is no reason to rush 3 and drop into a soft zone in almost every scenario. We are not playing Tom  Brady and Peyton Manning every week. We need an aggressive, attacking defense and that wasn't what we were getting.

It's amazing that most of you called him stubborn and now that it seems he is willing to adapt you say he is grasping at straws. I think he realizes his mistakes and is willing to correct them. He is one of the youngest head coaches in college football. anybody who thought he wouldn't go through some growing pains were being unrealistic. Personally I think we are fine and he is showing progress. It wasn't going to be an instant turnaround. He is bringing in plenty of talent and our AD is willing to surround him with some decent coaches that he can learn from.

If it was Taggart's decision to change from a power run to a spread (if we even are) then yes he's shown progress, but we don't know if it was his decision and we don't even know how much of what we've heard is true. Firing a few coaches doesn't show progress, he did that after his first year as well. 

As of right now our recruiting class is looking very weak. In the upper 70's as far as rankings go. He's got a month and a half to pull something out of his ......

Holtz had his classes locked up by now. That was because he recruited guys that didn't have any better offers for the most part. Taggart is in play for some guys that have some pretty good options. no surprise that it would come down to the last minute. Leavitt was the same way. His quality players generally came down to the last day. Holtz offered guys whose next best offer was middle tennessee state or the like.

He is the head coach. Whatever direction the offense takes is his decision. to think otherwise is foolish.

Getting rid of underperforming employees is a step towards progress. They weren't doing their jobs well so he replaced them. It's the first step towards progress. Hopefully these new guys turn out better.

There is no reason to even bring up Holtz. Taggart is an incredible recruiter there is no doubt about it. He was able to pull in a respectable class at Western Kentucky for crying out loud. He pulled in a top 40 class after a 2-10 year here. I am not questioning his ability to recruit. I simply stated facts. Right now our class is ranked very low and he's got 1.5 months to pull something out. Getting 1 big time guy to flip is not going to cut it. He's going to need 4 or 5 of them to have another top 50 class. 

That's how recruiting works for program's like ours. If you want a good class then don't expect it to be locked up by December. He is trying to get kids that have offers from huge football programs. it's a bit ridiculous to think he would have "firm' commitments by the second week of December. where was his class ranked this time last year? our 2 4 stars didn't commit until January of 2014.

Edited by Bull94

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

Harlan doesn't care about the new OC/DC in regrads to Taggart's job security. He's had his 2 year experimental/testing/recruiting/figure it out phase and now it's time to win. 

We play in the tragedy known as the american athletic conference. USF should be winning 8 games a year minimum moving forward playing in this conference.

you do realize a big part of why people thinks this conference is a tradegy is because we are a part of it,right?

BTW I don't think we are positioned any better than SMU Houston Cincy UCF ECU etc.

All of them have had far more success at this level than we ever have had.

Not sure why so many of our fans think we are some blue blood that should look down on our conference competition.

Of course we are part of the problem. But we shouldn't be. We belong in the same breath as UCF and ECU, but what most that have your stance seem to forget is just how bad the bottom of this conference is.

UCONN is a joke, SMU is horrendous, Tulsa shouldn't even be a D1 program with less than 5,000 students, Tulane should think about going FCS, up until this year Memphis was a 2-10 to 4-8 team every year, don't even get me started on Temple. If you think our program shouldn't be "looking down" on the programs above then I imagine you think we belong somewhere in the FCS.

Not sure USF should be in the same breath as UCF of ECU in athletics at this time. Those teams are at the top of the current conference and were at the top of their previous, something USF has never done. USF has the facilities just needs the coaching and the culture.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

Glad they made the changes. if something isn't working why shouldn't they change?  

Seems like he brought in some guys that might be able to help him tweak his offense. Hopefully he is willing to have an open mind. The playcalling has to be more creative.  I get that he wants to impose his will on teams but you need to have superior talent and we don't have that yet. Maybe in the future if he continues to recruit top notch classes.

The defense definitely needed a change, It's ridiculous playing prevent defense as your base defense in college. There is no reason to rush 3 and drop into a soft zone in almost every scenario. We are not playing Tom  Brady and Peyton Manning every week. We need an aggressive, attacking defense and that wasn't what we were getting.

It's amazing that most of you called him stubborn and now that it seems he is willing to adapt you say he is grasping at straws. I think he realizes his mistakes and is willing to correct them. He is one of the youngest head coaches in college football. anybody who thought he wouldn't go through some growing pains were being unrealistic. Personally I think we are fine and he is showing progress. It wasn't going to be an instant turnaround. He is bringing in plenty of talent and our AD is willing to surround him with some decent coaches that he can learn from.

If it was Taggart's decision to change from a power run to a spread (if we even are) then yes he's shown progress, but we don't know if it was his decision and we don't even know how much of what we've heard is true. Firing a few coaches doesn't show progress, he did that after his first year as well. 

As of right now our recruiting class is looking very weak. In the upper 70's as far as rankings go. He's got a month and a half to pull something out of his ......

Holtz had his classes locked up by now. That was because he recruited guys that didn't have any better offers for the most part. Taggart is in play for some guys that have some pretty good options. no surprise that it would come down to the last minute. Leavitt was the same way. His quality players generally came down to the last day. Holtz offered guys whose next best offer was middle tennessee state or the like.

He is the head coach. Whatever direction the offense takes is his decision. to think otherwise is foolish.

Getting rid of underperforming employees is a step towards progress. They weren't doing their jobs well so he replaced them. It's the first step towards progress. Hopefully these new guys turn out better.

There is no reason to even bring up Holtz. Taggart is an incredible recruiter there is no doubt about it. He was able to pull in a respectable class at Western Kentucky for crying out loud. He pulled in a top 40 class after a 2-10 year here. I am not questioning his ability to recruit. I simply stated facts. Right now our class is ranked very low and he's got 1.5 months to pull something out. Getting 1 big time guy to flip is not going to cut it. He's going to need 4 or 5 of them to have another top 50 class. 

That's how recruiting works for program's like ours. If you want a good class then don't expect it to be locked up by December. He is trying to get kids that have offers from huge football programs. it's a bit ridiculous to think he would have "firm' commitments by the second week of December. where was his class ranked this time last year? our 2 4 stars didn't commit until January of 2014.

You really do just read what you want and not what is actually written.

I never said this is not the way it works at USF. I never said he should have a class locked up in December.I understand he is trying to get big time recruits to flip their commitment last minute. Once again. I stated 2 facts. 1- being what our class is ranked currently. 2 - stating how long until national signing day

What I said was "As of right now our recruiting class is looking very weak. In the upper 70's as far as rankings go. He's got a month and a half to pull something out of his ......"  

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

Harlan doesn't care about the new OC/DC in regrads to Taggart's job security. He's had his 2 year experimental/testing/recruiting/figure it out phase and now it's time to win. 

We play in the tragedy known as the american athletic conference. USF should be winning 8 games a year minimum moving forward playing in this conference.

you do realize a big part of why people thinks this conference is a tradegy is because we are a part of it,right?

BTW I don't think we are positioned any better than SMU Houston Cincy UCF ECU etc.

Not sure why so many of our fans think we are some blue blood that should look down on our conference competition.

Of course we are part of the problem. But we shouldn't be. We belong in the same breath as UCF and ECU, but what most that have your stance seem to forget is just how bad the bottom of this conference is.

UCONN is a joke, SMU is horrendous, Tulsa shouldn't even be a D1 program with less than 5,000 students, Tulane should think about going FCS, up until this year Memphis was a 2-10 to 4-8 team every year, don't even get me started on Temple. If you think our program shouldn't be "looking down" on the programs above then I imagine you think we belong somewhere in the FCS.

Not sure USF should be in the same breath as UCF of ECU in athletics at this time. Those teams are at the top of the current conference and were at the top of their previous, something USF has never done. USF has the facilities just needs the coaching and the culture.

Recent success? No. Overall program? Yes. I'd rather have a seat at the big boy table than be able to talk about my 4 national championships at North Dakota State. 

You really do just read what you want and not what is actually written.

I never said this is not the way it works at USF. I never said he should have a class locked up in December.I understand he is trying to get big time recruits to flip their commitment last minute. Once again. I stated 2 facts. 1- being what our class is ranked currently. 2 - stating how long until national signing day

What I said was "As of right now our recruiting class is looking very weak. In the upper 70's as far as rankings go. He's got a month and a half to pull something out of his ......"  

and I asked where we were ranked last year at this time

where we rank now means nothing (actually where we rank at all according to some guys that sit on their computer "evaluating' talent really doesn't matter either)

Recent success? No. Overall program? Yes. I'd rather have a seat at the big boy table than be able to talk about my 4 national championships at North Dakota State. 

Overall? What criteria are you using? And College Game Day has visited North Dakota State more than USF.

NDSU_ESPN_GameDay_Canvas_Print.jpg

Edited by slick1ru2

recent? how about no success at all. ever. a couple of tied for 3rd conference finishes is not success.

we have potential

so do they. Houston, SMU, Cincy, ECU, UCF, etc have all realized their potential on some level. we have never finished above 3rd.

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

UConn won the big east while we were in it.

SMU has more Heisman winners than we have conference titles.

Tulsa defeated your beloved UCF in the first c-usa title game. they have an all time record of 5-2 vs them. they played in Sugar ,Orange, Gator bowls before our school existed.

Tulane finished with an undefeated record at #7 in the country 15 years ago

List our accomplishments and then tell me why we should look down on them.

But we were # 2 in the country...

UConn won the big east while we were in it.

SMU has more Heisman winners than we have conference titles.

Tulsa defeated your beloved UCF in the first c-usa title game. they have an all time record of 5-2 vs them. they played in Sugar ,Orange, Gator bowls before our school existed.

Tulane finished with an undefeated record at #7 in the country 15 years ago

List our accomplishments and then tell me why we should look down on them.

But we were # 2 in the country...

...before being exposed. And?

Overall? What criteria are you using?

our big win over Auburn? FSU maybe?

maybe the big Magic Jack bowl win over Memphis?

we have never had less than 3 conference losses in a season. our best finishes ever were tied for 3rd a few times.

why he thinks we deserve to look down on anybody is a mystery.