• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

New defense, new offense, does CWT get 2 more years?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,457
  • Days Won:  25

Next year will be the 3rd under CWT. He holds a 5-year contract (http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20121208/ARTICLE/121209628).

Apparently, it's a reset with the offense and defense.

Does this give CWT more time because it will be a "new" philosophy (1 year to install the new offense and 1 to get it working correctly)?

Where's the line in the sand and what are we looking at here in terms of minimal results?

Again, we should remember what Houston did:

Houston coach Tony Levine fired after Cougars' 7-5 campaign

“Although we are excited to play in our second straight bowl game, the expectations of our program have changed over the last five years," Rhoades said in a statement.​

http://www.si.com/college-football/2014/12/06/tony-levine-fired-houston-cougars

What if we were 6-6 or 7-5 with no wins against the top of the conference, only win ooc is the first one...

For me, he's got to show MAJOR improvement in game and team management. If we beat only the bottom of the conference and look bad doing it... I would fire him.

We need butts in the seats, barely winning at the bottom of the AAC doesn't cut it.

I agree with everyone else that it will be year-to-year...

More than that, I think CWT will have to make improvements each of his last three years:

2015 - Bowl game or you're fired

2016 - More wins than 2015 ... OR ... Higher average attendance (without the FSU game) than 2015

2017 - More wins than 2016 ... OR ... Higher average attendance than 2016 ... OR ... Being Ranked in the Top 25 during and at the end of the season

That will show the momentum we need to support Harlan's efforts to build an OCS, build our donor base, build our season ticket base, and position USF for the next round of conference expansion.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

For me it's not about the absolute value of the number of wins, it's how they're achieved. Will we pass the eye test?

This year we went 4-8 with a team that could just as easily gone 0-12. Those 4 wins were neither convincing nor reassuring.

I would even accept 3-9 next year as progress if all 3 wins were very convincing, and all 9 losses were reassuring

While it would be a step back in the W/L, it could be a step forward in execution, which would bode well for the following year.

After what happened this year, my EXPECTATIONS are to go 0-12 next year.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  88
  • Days Won:  0

There needs to be real improvement to justify keeping him past next year.   6 wins including some quality wins would be enough in my opinion.   While we won more games this year, the teams we beat rank #118, #124, and #125 (+ 1 FCS school) in the final power rankings.    We finished ranked #114.    I think 10 or so FCS schools could have beaten us this year.

• Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,075
  • Days Won:  172

There needs to be real improvement to justify keeping him past next year.   6 wins including some quality wins would be enough in my opinion.   While we won more games this year, the teams we beat rank #118, #124, and #125 (+ 1 FCS school) in the final power rankings.    We finished ranked #114.    I think 10 or so FCS schools could have beaten us this year.

this seems fair

i am convinced allen will be  at least interim coach

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

All I need is wins, wins, wins.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Bowl game or bust. In a post season interview Harlan said "USF too special to not make a bowl game" .  That pretty much spells out what the expectations are for next season.  

Is 6 wins but no bowl (ala Temple this year) enough to bring him back?

It might be... depending on how the 6 losses were (close or blowouts, which teams, etc)... and it probably really depends on the attendance... that affects USF as much as anything... we need to get people to buy tickets and make donations.