• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Let the OCS MEGA-THREAD begin!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  554
  • Content Count:  14,407
  • Days Won:  13

All other things being equal, it's always going to be cheaper to buy than rent, if you intend to use something for its entire life cycle

Why?

Simple, when renting you have to pay a profit to the owner. When owning, that money can be used for other purposes.

Cal needs your expert advice. http://www.sfgate.com/collegesports/article/Cal-scrambling-to-cover-stadium-bill-4604221.php

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,416
  • Days Won:  43

All other things being equal, it's always going to be cheaper to buy than rent, if you intend to use something for its entire life cycle

Why?

Simple, when renting you have to pay a profit to the owner. When owning, that money can be used for other purposes.

Cal needs your expert advice. http://www.sfgate.com/collegesports/article/Cal-scrambling-to-cover-stadium-bill-4604221.php

Cali is a messed up state. They dont know how to budget. They are terrible at finance. No wonder that state has been in debt so bad. 

Why?

Cali is a messed up state. They dont know how to budget. They are terrible at finance. No wonder that state has been in debt so bad.

Read the expert in stadium financing at the end. Michigan and Texas can't raise the money for new stadiums. Building a stadium now is dumb. There is only one approved in all of FBS at this time. Only about 10% of the FBS stadiums have been built since 1990, the vast majority were built when it was much cheaper and people actually went to games.

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,041
  • Days Won:  11

This is true!! More peeps would rather stay home and watch it on TV then to go to RJS and watch. It is too hot there. Not enough shade. USF needs an OCS that will have great shade to get those fans back to watch live.

618166.gif

Lol you got me on that one. Got to find away to convince him that USF needs that OCS so now I am pulling out all the desperate reasons.

Considering most people think we'll build a cheap, 45k-seat stadium... it will be one level, so there won't be any shade... moreover, to keep it cheap: there will be fewer club seats and smaller club areas with air condition (if they even build ANY)... there will be fewer concession stands to sell soda and water... and there will probably be fewer bathrooms... (all those amenities cost $$)

will there be water fountains? :D

This is true!! More peeps would rather stay home and watch it on TV then to go to RJS and watch. It is too hot there. Not enough shade. USF needs an OCS that will have great shade to get those fans back to watch live.

618166.gif

Lol you got me on that one. Got to find away to convince him that USF needs that OCS so now I am pulling out all the desperate reasons.

Considering most people think we'll build a cheap, 45k-seat stadium... it will be one level, so there won't be any shade... moreover, to keep it cheap: there will be fewer club seats and smaller club areas with air condition (if they even build ANY)... there will be fewer concession stands to sell soda and water... and there will probably be fewer bathrooms... (all those amenities cost $$)

We need to build it like Houston's or Tulane's or dont even bother building it at all. Both those stadiums have a second deck level and plenty of shade. I was kidding about the shade part in my earlier post but it would be nice given the hot weather in Sept.

Houston just fired their coach that had winning seasons because they still can't put butts in the seat of their new stadium. It cost what, $130m?

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Why?

Read the expert in stadium financing at the end. Michigan and Texas can't raise the money for new stadiums. Building a stadium now is dumb. There is only one approved in all of FBS at this time. Only about 10% of the FBS stadiums have been built since 1990, the vast majority were built when it was much cheaper and people actually went to games.

Notice I never said anything about overpaying for a white elephant! LOL

But I did think of one way it MIGHT be cheaper to rent than own - even when using it for the full life cycle.

If you rent from a property management company that has expertise and economies of scale in maintenance and upkeep, it is POSSIBLE that the cost of upkeep + profits for them might actually be less than the cost of upkeep alone for you.

Otherwise I can't think of anything that would make renting cheaper than owning - all else equal (i.e. white elephants!) - for the entire life of the property

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Why?

Michigan just spent $250 mil on a renovation.

Texas A&M is spending $450 mil.

They can raise plenty of money. They just don't have the space to replace these venues,

So they renovate them.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

You can rent white elephants?

Only after dinner, and only if you finish your vegtables

618166.gif

We need to build it like Houston's or Tulane's or dont even bother building it at all. Both those stadiums have a second deck level and plenty of shade. I was kidding about the shade part in my earlier post but it would be nice given the hot weather in Sept. 

I agree... but that will push the cost up... For those who don't remember -- $130 million is almost TRIPLE what UCF's stadium cost.... Houston has less than 1000 club seats.... Tulane has about 1500 but no luxury suites...

Exactly!! Which is why USF has not rushed to build a POS OCS. So I am patient with it. 

It's gonna take time to raise the money to build a decent stadium,

I Think shade is our least concern right now.    On average how many games do you think we play In the Full Sun at Ray Jay?   We rarely play games during the day, ( usually homecoming,  AND when we play the likes of Miami, UCF, FSU)  The rest have typically been 7 or 8pm starts.

First, USF all three Miami games were daytime Noon/3:30 kickoffs... and only the first UCF game was a night game - the 64-12 game and this past year were both at Noon.

Second, USF had more daytime home games this year than night games... for the first time... and with the American Conference TV contract, it may happen more and more.

2014: (4/7) UCF was at Noon, Maryland & NC State were at 3:30, and Houston was at 4:00.

2013: (2/7) Miami & Louisville were at Noon

2012: (0/6) --- we were spoiled this year, the earliest kickoff was FSU at 6:00pm

2011: (3/7) Louisville was at 11:00am, Cincinnati was at Noon, and Miami was at 3:30

2010: (2/7) Syracuse & Pittsburgh were at Noon

2009: (2/6) Louisville was at Noon and Miami was at 3:30

2008: (2/6) Syracuse & Rutgers were at Noon

2007: (3/6) North Carolina & UCF were at Noon, Cincinnati was at 3:30

2006: (2/6) Pittsburgh & Syracuse at Noon

Shade will be an issue for at least 1/3rd if not 1/2 of our home games every year.