• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Let the OCS MEGA-THREAD begin!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

Heard on the news last night that Jeff Vinick and crew have a $1,000,000,000.00 plan for downtown Tampa... And ZERO plans for a stadium in that.

I think, politically, that it will be extremely difficult to get an OCS any time soon. 

Technically, the area Vinik is developing isn't that big of a tract in the grand scheme. The crown jewel of the area is the ConAgra flour mill. It employs 35 people but runs 24/7 and pumps out a million and a half tons of flour every day. THAT is your future baseball/soccer/stadium site, if there ever was to be on in the downtown area. The company is open to relocating their mill, possibly down near the ports southeast of downtown, where rail access is available and necessary, but it's not an overnight process. Were that to ever get done, that land would be quite valuable, not just as a stadium site, but possibly for more commercial and residential buildings.

Vinik-ville may take up to 10 years to complete, and by that time, if the area between Meridian and downtown is available, expect that to get gobbled up - Tampa's downtown will look entirely different in 10-15 years.

edit  - and none of this has much to do with USF other than the new Health and Heart Institute going up across the street from the Channelside Towers/Aja.

Edited by Danm1983

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

If we did build an OCS, where would we put it?

Anyone have a campus map so we can figure it out?

This is critical

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,459
  • Days Won:  25

Heard on the news last night that Jeff Vinick and crew have a $1,000,000,000.00 plan for downtown Tampa... And ZERO plans for a stadium in that.

I think, politically, that it will be extremely difficult to get an OCS any time soon. 

Technically, the area Vinik is developing isn't that big of a tract in the grand scheme. The crown jewel of the area is the ConAgra flour mill. It employs 35 people but runs 24/7 and pumps out a million and a half tons of flour every day. THAT is your future baseball/soccer/stadium site, if there ever was to be on in the downtown area. The company is open to relocating their mill, possibly down near the ports southeast of downtown, where rail access is available and necessary, but it's not an overnight process. Were that to ever get done, that land would be quite valuable, not just as a stadium site, but possibly for more commercial and residential buildings.

Vinik-ville may take up to 10 years to complete, and by that time, if the area between Meridian and downtown is available, expect that to get gobbled up - Tampa's downtown will look entirely different in 10-15 years.

edit  - and none of this has much to do with USF other than the new Health and Heart Institute going up across the street from the Channelside Towers/Aja.

My point is that it will take tax dollars to build any stadium, anywhere, and I don't see the Bay area voting for that. Can it be done with private money? Sure. But probably not while I'm able to get there.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,585
  • Days Won:  423

My point is that it will take tax dollars to build any stadium, anywhere, and I don't see the Bay area voting for that. Can it be done with private money? Sure. But probably not while I'm able to get there.

Bay area voters won't have a say in the building of an OCS ... If that was the case, this subject would have been dead and buried years ago.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  115
  • Days Won:  0

No tax dollars can be used for college athletic venues in the state of Florida.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Serious question.

When it does happen (and it will), do you prefer a bowl, or a horseshoe, and why?

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

Serious question.

When it does happen (and it will), do you prefer a bowl, or a horseshoe, and why?

Horseshoe. Good luck. And instant access to field level.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

Serious question.

Horseshoe. Good luck. And instant access to field level.

I think it would depend on location. Certain parts of campus would be nice to have horseshoe open to, but being it's likely to be oriented north-south, who knows. If it were in the area of the Greek housing north of the practice fields, leaving the 'shoe open to the south wouldn't be terrible, gives view of SunDome, other areas.

I'd likely choose bowl. Better initial spread without resorting to upper decks, better noise acoustics, and usually you see horseshoe designs with a nice building at the open end, don't think USF is going to angle for that setup, already have the LRS. Building materials aside, open bowl such as FIU/UCF/FSU is nice, some upper seats are a bit far away from action compared to an upper deck that might be closer but higher, but it's a wash really.

In a way though, I do like the design of the FAU stadium, it's a bit open, could definitely help with some breezes during warmer times (could give kicking games a fun twist).

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/jon-solomon/24891415

College football attendance: Home crowds drop to lowest in 14 years  

December 15, 2014 1:24 pm ET

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

The NCAA and greed have ripped a gash in the greatest game in our country.

They took a good think and drove it into the ground. College football was its best as a regional sport with a few historic cross country rivalry games like the ones Notre Dame plays. Then the few bowl games were so enticing because you had regional great teams meeting other great teams they never played.