• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Coaches Fired !

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

Wulff was a horrific hire, even before he called a play.

He called a play? Link?
Aw come on he called a play or two

In the spring game

yes and we saw some decent play

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  315
  • Days Won:  3

I'm just glad Wulff was fired.   He went 9-40 at Washington State, including going 4-32 in the Pac-10.  In those 49 games they failed to score 20 points 31 times.   Before that he has a mediocre D-2 coach at Eastern Washington with a record of 53-40.    The only reason he got the job was that he was on Harbaugh's staff with the 49er's for a few years. and even then he was like the lowest coach on the offensive totem pole there.   His title was just offensive assistant.      Willie may have taken the play-calling responsibilities off his hands after the first few games, but can you really blame him.   We needed a miracle to beat Western Carolina.  We lost to Maryland after forcing 6 turnovers.   We got blown out by a very average NC State team.   We then had another miracle win against UConn.    We also only scored 21 points this year twice.    He had to get fired.

As for Taggart, the sad reality is that we can't fire him.   We still have to pay Holtz $500,000 for the next 3 years.   Taggart has 3 years left on his deal which is worth about 1.2 million per year.   If we fire him then we will have to pay around 1 million for coaches that are not even here, on top of a 1.2 - 1..5 million dollar salary for a new coach.    For a team drawing only 25,000 a game right now, it's just not realistic.   The only thing Harlan could do is tell Willie to clean house. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,956
  • Days Won:  12

Keep him so he can round up another top 40 class, get us back to 6 wins, and then move on... not the worst strategy

• Topic Count:  193
  • Content Count:  5,254
  • Days Won:  1

Any chance we promote a offense coach to oc and defense coach to dc and not bring in someone from outside the current staff

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  980
  • Days Won:  2

I think, basically, Harlan told Taggart 'This is our university's team, not your science experiment. We're going to install competent coordinators and we want your input, but they're not going to be handcuffed by you from doing their jobs. If you want to grow as a coach and lead USF football, let us help you. If you want to resign, there's the door.'

Well said and agree with the likely scenario.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,956
  • Days Won:  12

Rumors that we will hire a spread OC.

If so, not a bad move. I like it the more I think about it.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,684
  • Days Won:  8

Rumors that we will hire a spread OC.

If so, not a bad move. I like it the more I think about it.

Duh!

Recruit the fastest guys he can and a good QB... spread out the D to get your backs like Mack in space.... our line does not have the push for this power run... and it takes all of the other positions to be adept blockers... just hard to get all the pieces at this level. But there are tons of fast players right in our back yard fit for the spread.

Edited by Gismo

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  957
  • Days Won:  1

The surprise firing has to be Chuck Bresnahan. Several times this year, beginning right away with the first game they nearly dropped to Western Carolina, I sensed an uneven amount of preparation in the defensive game plan...as if Bresnahan was basically taking some weeks off, thinking we should be able to just play our base style of defense all day against this team and we'll be fine. Several times I also got the feeling Willie Taggart was not OK with this. So that could be it. He could have gotten the feeling that the game was just passing Chuck by, he can't put in the work on a weekly basis.

The Wulff firing was pretty obvious. I don't care how bad your QBs are (and USF's were pretty **** bad), you can get better than 50% completion out of a tree stump if you game plan and call plays effectively. There was a long and persistent stretch where they were getting 40% completion which was just insane.

Ron Cooper is a curious firing. People around here keep talking like moving Chris Dunkley to corner was a mistake. On the contrary, it was brilliant, and our DB coach must be pretty good to have helped him make the transition as well as he made it. I wonder if there's something else behind his firing.

I also wonder if both Cooper and Bresnahan are looking to join Jim Harbaugh wherever he ends up coaching next year and maybe that's one reason for the firings.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  315
  • Days Won:  3

Bresnahan doesn't shock me at all.   Our Pass Defense was among the worst in the entire country this year.  He was a pro coach for 17 years.    Harlan / Taggart may have just felt that he was failing at teaching the young players.   There's a big difference between calling plays for NFL level players that will grasp them easily, and teaching college kids who may have little knowledge of the defense he was trying to run.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Bresnahan doesn't shock me at all. Our Pass Defense was among the worst in the entire country this year. He was a pro coach for 17 years. Harlan / Taggart may have just felt that he was failing at teaching the young players. There's a big difference between calling plays for NFL level players that will grasp them easily, and teaching college kids who may have little knowledge of the defense he was trying to run.

We were starting a wife receiver at CB. It wasn't going to be good.