• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Texas could start paying athletes $10,000 per year

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

Paying student athletes sounds dirty to me...

This cannot end well!

Educate yourself and you'll start to see its overdue.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11260822/college-football-paying-athletes

Call me old fashioned but you go to college to get an education. What message are you sending..Its more important to spend more time in the gym and less time on the books. 

I see it as athletics is your part time job, school is your full time job. Most normal students in school get a part time job to make ends meet....D1 athletes should be compensated for the time they put into the program. Playing D1 sports gives them little to no time for a part time job. Athletic Scholarships don't fund full cost of attendance...just your classes. 

Mine didn't cover food, books, housing, etc. 10k a year is more than reasonable

Hem, I hear you but IMO playing college football is a privilege, not employment. What does the University do with underperforming athletes? Do they cut the money supply after they get benched? Do they stay on scholarship but not get paid? College sports are already corrupted, add salaries and you have a mess in your hands

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501
  • Days Won:  0

This is a great benefit to USF......If you think players aren't getting money under the table from boosters already you would be mistaken.  Get it above board and it evens the playing field.  Sure some will still do it under the table but depending how they draft the new rule it could cut that back a lot.

There is no perfect system.

Edited by dabull80

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

I worked 20-30 hours a week at either Busch Gardens, the engineering deans office, or in an engineering lab throughout my college experience.  Without the part time work I would have been wildly broke.

I really don't see a problem compensating players for what I'm assuming is far and away more than 20-30 hours a week doing.  It's not like they have the ability to go get that same job I had.  Their time is already tied up.  Sure they don't have to pay for school, but complaining about this is silly.  These 85 scholarship players add millions to the university's athletic department and we're going to turn around and complain that they are now going to get a stipend for $100 a week and $5,000 held in reserve to be paid later.  Give it a rest.

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,423
  • Days Won:  19

I agree with paying players... Especially with the amount of work they put in

However, I disagree with the amount students are used to subsidize college athletics (for a place of academic study)

College athletics (especially Football) should be partitioned off - and operated as a separate business (taxable). Players and coaches can make as much money as they want, and they can unionize.It should operate as a Minor League, and the school can be associated (but acadmic tuition and fees can not be used).

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

However, I disagree with the amount students are used to subsidize college athletics (for a place of academic study)

Without that student subsidy USF wouldn't even exist.  I completely understand the objection to it, but not from someone with 2,000+ posts on a sports message board from a school with one of the worst track records of this.

I for one, happily paid my athletics fee and don't mind students continuing to pay it.  It adds to the USF experience far more than the $600 paid over the course of 8 semesters.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,678
  • Days Won:  108

This is a great benefit to USF......If you think players aren't getting money under the table from boosters already you would be mistaken.  Get it above board and it evens the playing field.  Sure some will still do it under the table but depending how they draft the new rule it could cut that back a lot.

The key is "under the table".  Hard to cut back something that isn't happening on the books.  The 10K will be in addition to whatever they get now from boosters. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  344
  • Days Won:  1

Student government has only agreed to 25% of what Athletics was asking for in a fee increase on students.  They nearly shut down the idea entirely.  Most students at USF don't want to pay for every student athlete to have free housing, food, and books.  We made our voices heard and were rewarded for once.

Give the athletes full ride scholarships covering tuition.  You may as well create a sports-village where the athletes can have cheaper housing.  They already stick to themselves anyway.  Or let them compete for academic scholarships like the rest of the student population.  Create scholarships if you need to.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,681
  • Days Won:  8

I would be okay paying players IF they'd did not get free housing and free meals and have to pay their own fees going forward.

They are already compensated through housing, meals, books, tuition and fees all being covered.

Edited by Gismo

• Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

The key is "under the table".  Hard to cut back something that isn't happening on the books.  The 10K will be in addition to whatever they get now from boosters.

UNC is about to get a hand slap for EIGHTEEN years of systemic academic fraud and NCAA violations. . . . . The boosters that pay under the table think very little about the NCAA, as it is a toothless tiger.

the b5 run the show. schools like USF that are in g5 conferences hang around waiting for the drippings. They are getting bled to death, the same way the poor guy gets busted out by trying to keep up with his rich friends.

the longer you think about the new model, the more untenable it seems for USF.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

I can honestly say I'm not sure how to feel...

I can objectively see both sides