• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Texas is Officially Official

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  22
  • Days Won:  0

Btw, I don't know about the tweet mentioned (on this thread) about the UT vs USF game, but here is the official announcement from UT Athletics (for Triple B  :))

Nope ... That's the same type release USF had and it's still just an agreement in principle until your BOR signs off on it. I think "Unofficially Official" is **** magnanimous of me .. 

Being a Longhorn Foundation member and an annual donor, two days ago I emailed our AD on why Texas chose to schedule USF.  Here is the reply I received:

Reynaldo,

We have huge alumni bases in SE part of the country from ATL down through Fla. & coach Strong is a monster recruiter in that area.

S Fla has 40k plus students & is going to be a growing power in sports.  New AD there is from UCLA & is a brilliant administrator.

Years after Steve Patterson graduated from Texas (undergraduate degree in business and a JD from Texas Law School), he became the AD at Arizona State University.   While at ASU, I am sure he became quite familiar with all the ADs and associate ADs in the conference (Pac 10).  Now Steve is back at Texas as the new AD here.  It doesn't surprise me now that the connection USF's new AD's has with Steve Patterson is the major reason USF in now on Texas' future schedule.

University of South Florida set to hire athletic director from UCLA - Tampa Bay Business Journal

Edited by UT4Big12

• Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

Are we really excited about signing a 2:1?!?!? Given our attendance of late I guess it makes sense - we should consider a payday game or two a year to cover athletic expenses. But this is definitely a sad day - not something to be excited about!

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Are we really excited about signing a 2:1?!?!? Given our attendance of late I guess it makes sense - we should consider a payday game or two a year to cover athletic expenses. But this is definitely a sad day - not something to be excited about!

It is called G5 - get used to it

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

It is called G5 - get used to it

Payday games excite me, money is good!

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451
  • Days Won:  0

Well I'm stoked about two games only thirty five miles south of my house. There is a lot of tradition at UT games and bandwagon fans. UT is the UF of Texas.

Some things to note for game day and your trip... The seats will be awful for visiting team fans. Sitting in the upper deck is just as bad if not worse. I went to an OSU at UT game last yr and sat in the highest row ofthe stad (free tix). UT was beat handily so fans started leaving early in the fourth qtr.

Parking is awful too. I had to walk nearly two miles to the stad after parking. So go early. After the game, downtown is pure chaos. Traffic is worst than Tampa after a sold out Bucs game. There is only one north south interstate thru Austin and hardly any side streets to take out of town. 6th Street equals Ybor with better music options.

I recommend BBQ and TexMex for eating. For BBQ I recommend Franklins for top of the line but you will wait in line Sat morn five hrs. For a good post game time if its a 12pm kickoff is go to the original Salt Lick. Its BYOB with live music Sat evenings. For just restaurant BBQ, I'd say County Line or the Salt Lick in Round Rock 20 miles north of UT. If you had State Line BBQ in EL Paso in 2007 its the same owner I believe. If you want quick and easy pretty good brisket Rudy's will do in a pinch.

For TexMex just read some reviews. Where I live G'town has a couple of good TexMex restaurants so no need to go south for that. Truthfully there is literally more Mexican eateries than McDs so you can pretty much find a good one. Another recommendation for food would be Pappadeaux for Cajun.

I do not know of a Berns type steak house in Austin. There is a Salt Grass Steakhouse in Round Rock that is good high end meat but it is a TX franchise. Austin has a Flemings, Ruths and Perry's downtown.

Flights from Tampa to Austin are reasonable on S'west Airlines. The drive is 17-18 hrs.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

If you're going all the way to Austin for the game, consider driving 30 minutes down to Lockhart for the BBQ. Smitty's and Black's are far better than anything in town.

https://goo.gl/maps/CWZfO

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

I think you have a "few years" to make those plans.

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

This one is one of those must attend games

Great job by Harlan!!

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,539
  • Days Won:  422

:facepalm:

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Btw, I don't know about the tweet mentioned (on this thread) about the UT vs USF game, but here is the official announcement from UT Athletics (for Triple B  :))

Nope ... That's the same type release USF had and it's still just an agreement in principle until your BOR signs off on it. I think "Unofficially Official" is **** magnanimous of me .. 

Being a Longhorn Foundation member and an annual donor, two days ago I emailed our AD on why Texas chose to schedule USF.  Here is the reply I received:

Reynaldo,

We have huge alumni bases in SE part of the country from ATL down through Fla. & coach Strong is a monster recruiter in that area.

S Fla has 40k plus students & is going to be a growing power in sports.  New AD there is from UCLA & is a brilliant administrator.

Years after Steve Patterson graduated from Texas (undergraduate degree in business and a JD from Texas Law School), he became the AD at Arizona State University.   While at ASU, I am sure he became quite familiar with all the ADs and associate ADs in the conference (Pac 10).  Now Steve is back at Texas as the new AD here.  It doesn't surprise me now that the connection USF's new AD's has with Steve Patterson is the major reason USF in now on Texas' future schedule.

University of South Florida set to hire athletic director from UCLA - Tampa Bay Business Journal

B12, here we come, baby ...

:stirpot:

• Upvote 1