• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Texas is Officially Official

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

Btw, I don't know about the tweet mentioned (on this thread) about the UT vs USF game, but here is the official announcement from UT Athletics (for Triple B  :))

Nope ... That's the same type release USF had and it's still just an agreement in principle until your BOR signs off on it. I think "Unofficially Official" is **** magnanimous of me .. 

Being a Longhorn Foundation member and an annual donor, two days ago I emailed our AD on why Texas chose to schedule USF.  Here is the reply I received:

Reynaldo,

We have huge alumni bases in SE part of the country from ATL down through Fla. & coach Strong is a monster recruiter in that area.

S Fla has 40k plus students & is going to be a growing power in sports.  New AD there is from UCLA & is a brilliant administrator.

Years after Steve Patterson graduated from Texas (undergraduate degree in business and a JD from Texas Law School), he became the AD at Arizona State University.   While at ASU, I am sure he became quite familiar with all the ADs and associate ADs in the conference (Pac 10).  Now Steve is back at Texas as the new AD here.  It doesn't surprise me now that the connection USF's new AD's has with Steve Patterson is the major reason USF in now on Texas' future schedule.

University of South Florida set to hire athletic director from UCLA - Tampa Bay Business Journal

B12, here we come, baby ...

:stirpot:

I don't understand why they haven't made the B12 announcement yet. It is clearly a done deal.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,539
  • Days Won:  423

Btw, I don't know about the tweet mentioned (on this thread) about the UT vs USF game, but here is the official announcement from UT Athletics (for Triple B  :))

Nope ... That's the same type release USF had and it's still just an agreement in principle until your BOR signs off on it. I think "Unofficially Official" is **** magnanimous of me .. 

Being a Longhorn Foundation member and an annual donor, two days ago I emailed our AD on why Texas chose to schedule USF.  Here is the reply I received:

Reynaldo,

We have huge alumni bases in SE part of the country from ATL down through Fla. & coach Strong is a monster recruiter in that area.

S Fla has 40k plus students & is going to be a growing power in sports.  New AD there is from UCLA & is a brilliant administrator.

Years after Steve Patterson graduated from Texas (undergraduate degree in business and a JD from Texas Law School), he became the AD at Arizona State University.   While at ASU, I am sure he became quite familiar with all the ADs and associate ADs in the conference (Pac 10).  Now Steve is back at Texas as the new AD here.  It doesn't surprise me now that the connection USF's new AD's has with Steve Patterson is the major reason USF in now on Texas' future schedule.

University of South Florida set to hire athletic director from UCLA - Tampa Bay Business Journal

I don't understand why they haven't made the B12 announcement yet. It is clearly a done deal.

It's an agreement in principle only at this time ... They're waiting for our OCS announcement.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

They should be about done thinking about the OCS by now, right?  Hasn't it been enough time for thinking? 

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  22
  • Days Won:  0

Reynaldo,

It's an agreement in principle only at this time ... They're waiting for our OCS announcement.

Triple B, from the email response I received (as mentioned in my post upthread), one can conclude Steve Patterson (Texas AD) is friends with USF's new athletic director.  It seems to me USF's AD deserves the credit for making this deal a reality.   

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

Reynaldo,

Triple B, from the email response I received (as mentioned in my post upthread), one can conclude Steve Patterson (Texas AD) is friends with USF's new athletic director.  It seems to me USF's AD deserves the credit for making this deal a reality.   

Looks like they're buds. Thanks for the inside info.

Reynaldo,

Jeebus, UT4, I fully understand that this is pretty much a done deal ... save the dotting of i's and crossing of t's ... which is what will make it OFFICIALLY official ... and that's the only silly point I was making ... and that was more of an inside joke than anything else.

Thanks, though, for the background on Patterson's relationship with Harlan. Good to see the hire is paying off in that regard .... we're still waiting on the announcement of two more series like the UT one, though.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Thanks!

Reynaldo,

Jeebus, UT4, I fully understand that this is pretty much a done deal ... save the dotting of i's and crossing of t's ... which is what will make it OFFICIALLY official ... and that's the only silly point I was making ... and that was more of an inside joke than anything else.

Thanks, though, for the background on Patterson's relationship with Harlan. Good to see the hire is paying off in that regard .... we're still waiting on the announcement of two more series like the UT one, though.

Lol.  Sorry, but you remind me of how some of the West Virginia fans reacted when WVU was invited to join the Big 12.  Some wanted to see it in writing before they believed it was a done deal.

A while back, I visited Arizona State University's message board.  Some were certain that Steve Patterson was going to be instrumental in moving UT to the Pac 12 Conference.  Some were certain that UT would eventually schedule ASU.  When I gave them proof that these things would not happen, they got pissed off.  

Btw, what I found interesting in the email reply from the UT Athletic Department was how USF was described as "going to be a growing power in sports..."  That made me think that UT would in favor of inviting USF to the Big 12 someday.  Maybe it was just me, but that is what came across my mind when I first read it. 

Triple B, thanks for sharing your thoughts.  I didn't intend to come off as being contradictory.

Edited by UT4Big12
  • Upvote 1

Reynaldo,

Lol.  Sorry, but you remind me of how some of the West Virginia fans reacted when WVU was invited to join the Big 12.  Some wanted to see it in writing before they believed it was a done deal.

Trust me, if we are ever fortunate enough to get an invite to the Big 12, or any other P5, I'll need to see the new conference games listed on our official schedule before I'll embrace it ....  B)