• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Texas is Officially Official

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  22
  • Days Won:  0

Btw, I don't know about the tweet mentioned (on this thread) about the UT vs USF game, but here is the official announcement from UT Athletics (for Triple B  :))

Nope ... That's the same type release USF had and it's still just an agreement in principle until your BOR signs off on it. I think "Unofficially Official" is **** magnanimous of me .. 

Being a Longhorn Foundation member and an annual donor, two days ago I emailed our AD on why Texas chose to schedule USF.  Here is the reply I received:

Reynaldo,

We have huge alumni bases in SE part of the country from ATL down through Fla. & coach Strong is a monster recruiter in that area.

S Fla has 40k plus students & is going to be a growing power in sports.  New AD there is from UCLA & is a brilliant administrator.

Years after Steve Patterson graduated from Texas (undergraduate degree in business and a JD from Texas Law School), he became the AD at Arizona State University.   While at ASU, I am sure he became quite familiar with all the ADs and associate ADs in the conference (Pac 10).  Now Steve is back at Texas as the new AD here.  It doesn't surprise me now that the connection USF's new AD's has with Steve Patterson is the major reason USF in now on Texas' future schedule.

University of South Florida set to hire athletic director from UCLA - Tampa Bay Business Journal

B12, here we come, baby ...

:stirpot:

I don't understand why they haven't made the B12 announcement yet. It is clearly a done deal.

It's an agreement in principle only at this time ... They're waiting for our OCS announcement.

Triple B, from the email response I received (as mentioned in my post upthread), one can conclude Steve Patterson (Texas AD) is friends with USF's new athletic director.  It seems to me USF's AD deserves the credit for making this deal a reality.   

Jeebus, UT4, I fully understand that this is pretty much a done deal ... save the dotting of i's and crossing of t's ... which is what will make it OFFICIALLY official ... and that's the only silly point I was making ... and that was more of an inside joke than anything else.

Thanks, though, for the background on Patterson's relationship with Harlan. Good to see the hire is paying off in that regard .... we're still waiting on the announcement of two more series like the UT one, though.

Lol.  Sorry, but you remind me of how some of the West Virginia fans reacted when WVU was invited to join the Big 12.  Some wanted to see it in writing before they believed it was a done deal.

Trust me, if we are ever fortunate enough to get an invite to the Big 12, or any other P5, I'll need to see the new conference games listed on our official schedule before I'll embrace it ....  B)

Fair enough.

You guys have a great day!  

Edited by UT4Big12

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,342
  • Days Won:  43

Harlan did mention on the radio before Tulsa game that he has a great connection with Texas due to his friend, Steve Patterson, that use to be the ASU AD. Great to good relations with Texas. Would not be suprised if USF scheduled a game with TCU in the future as Harlan is great friends with TCU AD too. 

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

So is that a rear view of a white bull munching on grass?

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

^^^ LOL

It's going to be funny when the USF fans come to Austin and start holding up the hand sign at the game.  Some UT fans are going to think the USF fans are rooting for UT.  

Let’s Go Reese’s: Hook 'Em Horns | Video | Break.com

Hook'em!

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,539
  • Days Won:  423

Jeebus, UT4, I fully understand that this is pretty much a done deal ... save the dotting of i's and crossing of t's ... which is what will make it OFFICIALLY official ... and that's the only silly point I was making ... and that was more of an inside joke than anything else.

Thanks, though, for the background on Patterson's relationship with Harlan. Good to see the hire is paying off in that regard .... we're still waiting on the announcement of two more series like the UT one, though.

Lol.  Sorry, but you remind me of how some of the West Virginia fans reacted when WVU was invited to join the Big 12.  Some wanted to see it in writing before they believed it was a done deal.

Trust me, if we are ever fortunate enough to get an invite to the Big 12, or any other P5, I'll need to see the new conference games listed on our official schedule before I'll embrace it ....  B)

Fair enough.

You guys have a great day!

By all means, though, if you hear something out there pertaining to USF anytime in the future, please feel free to post it on this thread ...  http://thebullspen.com/topic/89078-usf-realignment-rumorstweetsetc/

• Topic Count:  2,331
  • Content Count:  21,294
  • Days Won:  10

It's going to be funny when the USF fans come to Austin and start holding up the hand sign at the game.  Some UT fans are going to think the USF fans are rooting for UT.  

Hook'em!

Bulls vs Steers, I would rather be a Bull

Hook'em!

Bulls vs Steers, I would rather be a Bull

netranchers.emperor_1.jpg

Your arguments are rather sophomoric.

The Longhorn mascot is representative of a culture in the state of Texas.  There are no other colleges or universities in the country (that I know of) that have this mascot.

Texas Longhorn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In my mind, "Bulls" is rather a generic mascot.  It isn't tied to any particular state history or culture.   By comparison, think about the cleverly thought out mascots for West Virginia (the "Mountaineers" ) or for Rice University (the "Owls").   

Edited by UT4Big12

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Other than Florida is the second largest cattle producing state in the union. Longhorn refers to a very specific type of cattle.

USF fans should make this trip as Austin is a great city.

Not sure if it still is but at one time Florida was also the second milk producer to Wisconsin.

Lots of bovines in the sunshine state!

Other than Florida is the second largest cattle producing state in the union. Longhorn refers to a very specific type of cattle.

USF fans should make this trip as Austin is a great city.

Our Longhorn buddy is a short on Florida history, and facts.

Boomer Sooner!!!

Go Bulls

You are correct.  I defer to your expertise on Florida history (and facts) about the "Bulls".