• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

TBP: have we ever been truly happy Bulls?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

well seeing you joined in December of 2012 there has not been much to be happy about. 

We were happy in March of 2012 and the first 6 football games of 2007.....

If I remember correctly, Brad has said that Beta's been around a long time before 2012 ... 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  7,008
  • Days Won:  12

Very deep and philosophical. 

I think the answer is yes. After we beat Clemson in the bowl game, then opened the following season to beat ND, things could not have been going better. 

Then a combination of poor vision, poor management, and poor recruiting really wrecked the program for YEARS to come. 

Just like with a bad breakup, it could be a while before this fan base is happy again. Even if we win a few, we're hesitant to be fooled again. 

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Everyone talking about happiness these days.

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,432
  • Days Won:  19

I've been on here since smazza had maybe 10 posts to his handle. But I can't ever recall this board being truly happy.

If we win, it's against a soft opponent or we got lucky.

If we get ranked, it's due to being overrated.

If we get a high-touted recruit, it's because some other school pulled an offer.

If our coach is winning, somebody's going to steal him away from us.

However, when we lose, we truly stink.

Of course, I'm generalizing here. But I would say that's about the sum of it.

Are we ever going to give ourselves a break?

:facepalm:

We have an empty trophy case...

despite so much potential.

not true we have a papa john's tropy, a magic jack trophy, a belk trophy, and an international bowl trophy..... All of those and a dollar will get you a mcDouble.

lol

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

I was happy when Leavitt was the coach. No happiness here since he was fired.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  280
  • Days Won:  1

I was happy when we actually got a program. My first year at USF was in 1996, and the ONLY place to get USF TShirts was the rinky-dink bookstore they had behind the post office, which is now currently parking services. 

I was happy with the program, right up to the point of them firing Leavitt. 

Sure, we lost many games we should have won, and won quite a few games against team that we should have lost.

But ever since the firing of Leavitt, the program has just fallen off a cliff

I loved Leavitt, I was furious when he was fired. He built something out of nothing. I remember seeing that double wide trailer parked out near the baseball field. I remember when the team used to drive over from Fontana in the back of pickup trucks, practicing out of left center field in the softball intramural softball fields.

I loved hearing the practice field get quite when I'd hit a home run into their practice area! LOL

So yes, I was happy knowing that while we may not win every single game, we at least had a CHANCE to win those games. I still support the team, but that heart and drive we had in the late 1990's and early 2000's just doesn't feel like it's there anymore

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,724
  • Days Won:  109

I like Leavitt as much as the next guy.  But how happy were people with Leavitt after losing those 3 straight after reaching #2 and finishing outside the Top 20?  How happy were people after all the mid season melt downs?  Anyone remember the 31 - 0 game at Rutgers?  That was the beginning of the end for Jim.  Some believed that he got outcoached in some games.  We played hard but recklessly so under Leavitt.  Resulted in some outstanding wins but some heart wrenching losses. 

To the original post.  I think all of us are happy after any win.  Where there is a division is that some people, after a win, think we are going undefeated the rest of the year while others see it as a win but don't necessarily see the type play that means long term success. If we win a conference championship some people will doubt that we'll win in again the next year.  Just the nature of people.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,144
  • Days Won:  40

Magic Jack trophy, baby! I remember leaving that game at half time and going to Arigato.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

I was generally pretty happy with our football program right up until about 8:00pm on September 29th, 2010. The wheels came off after that.

• Upvote 1