• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

OCS News Update

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,677
  • Days Won:  108

An ocs is more than just the game itself. It's the experience of being on campus and tailgating in your old stomping grounds. A homecoming every game. How many alumni go to games and haven't stepped on campus in years.

Really not trying to be an a wipe here.  BUT.  Unfortunately many alumni are not going to games because they don't care about the football team (or basketball, baseball, softball).  If they haven't been on campus in years and they don't want to see the football team, what difference would it make to that person that the games are on campus?  They obviously don't care about how the campus looks now.  If they did, they would have gone.  And they don't care about football.  If they did, they'd be at the games.

So I really don't understand about this "game day experience" on campus.  When most of the older alums went to USF it was basically a commuter school.  People came, went to class, went home. 

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  1,141
  • Days Won:  2

An ocs is more than just the game itself. It's the experience of being on campus and tailgating in your old stomping grounds. A homecoming every game. How many alumni go to games and haven't stepped on campus in years.

Really not trying to be an a wipe here. BUT. Unfortunately many alumni are not going to games because they don't care about the football team (or basketball, baseball, softball). If they haven't been on campus in years and they don't want to see the football team, what difference would it make to that person that the games are on campus? They obviously don't care about how the campus looks now. If they did, they would have gone. And they don't care about football. If they did, they'd be at the games.

So I really don't understand about this "game day experience" on campus. When most of the older alums went to USF it was basically a commuter school. People came, went to class, went home.

Because you are not thinking about the logistics. At best, alumni from around the state only have a limited window of time. They arrive in Tampa late Friday or early Saturday, and leave Sunday. Why go on campus? There is nothing to do. Maybe those that are staying in north Tampa for the weekend will take a quick drive through campus, but the vast majority wake-up and prep top go to Ray Jay. A different argument can be made for those that remain in the upper Tampa vicinity, But I'd bet that most alumni in the greater Tampa bay area that are more that 10 miles from campus are the same. An ocs promotes the school and drives marketing. It isn't just a place to play the game.

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,455
  • Days Won:  25

Really not trying to be an a wipe here. BUT. Unfortunately many alumni are not going to games because they don't care about the football team (or basketball, baseball, softball). If they haven't been on campus in years and they don't want to see the football team, what difference would it make to that person that the games are on campus? They obviously don't care about how the campus looks now. If they did, they would have gone. And they don't care about football. If they did, they'd be at the games.

So I really don't understand about this "game day experience" on campus. When most of the older alums went to USF it was basically a commuter school. People came, went to class, went home.

Because you are not thinking about the logistics. At best, alumni from around the state only have a limited window of time. They arrive in Tampa late Friday or early Saturday, and leave Sunday. Why go on campus? There is nothing to do. Maybe those that are staying in north Tampa for the weekend will take a quick drive through campus, but the vast majority wake-up and prep top go to Ray Jay. A different argument can be made for those that remain in the upper Tampa vicinity, But I'd bet that most alumni in the greater Tampa bay area that are more that 10 miles from campus are the same. An ocs promotes the school and drives marketing. It isn't just a place to play the game.

I think you also have to consider the age of football. I know we all get tired of hearing "we're a young team", but the fact is that we have ONE GENERATION of alumni that even had football, much less cared about it. But, I also believe that that is exactly who USF needs to target. The 2000 - 2010 alums are the ones that will be donating the most in the next decade.

Maybe I'm not making myself clear.  There aren't many of them going to the football games.  They aren't coming in from anywhere or going to the games.  When you have 17,000 people in the stands, not sure how many are alumni.  2 of our group of 8 are, our daughter and son-in-law.  The rest are people we put a gun to their heads and force them to watch.  If they are dedicated fans showing up to this mess of a team, I'll bet you a majority have been on campus for one event or another.  Still don't see why people have to "see the campus".  If they came to basketball, soccer and baseball/softball they'd see the campus.  If they came to one of the jazz concert series they'd see the campus.  If they came to hear the speakers they line up they'd see the campus. 

Maybe because I'm not an alum but on campus all the time I don't see the big deal.  People have plenty of reason to come back to USF if they really want to.  We don't give money because we've seen the campus.  If they build an OCS I'm fine with that.  But I just don't get the benefit of it.  But that is just my view of things.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  1,141
  • Days Won:  2

Respectfully, I think being an alum is the difference in opinion. I love being back on campus.

Respectfully, I think being an alum is the difference in opinion. I love being back on campus.

And I recognize that.  Definitely a different point of view.

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,009
  • Days Won:  38

The stadium is all about get alums back on campus. Some of my friends go back now and can't believe how nice it looks compared to 90s / early 2000s.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

OCS... Not happening...

Especially after this tulsa game

Um-NO-GIF.gif

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

USF has had an OCA (Sun Dome) since 1980 how has that helped???  What exactly is getting alumni back on campus going to do to help the teams? If they aren't interested in football why would a change of venue change that?

Comparing a basketball arena/game vs football arena/game =

Epic_d77136_813820.jpg

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

USF has had an OCA (Sun Dome) since 1980 how has that helped??? What exactly is getting alumni back on campus going to do to help the teams? If they aren't interested in football why would a change of venue change that?

Comparing a basketball arena/game vs football arena/game =

Epic_d77136_813820.jpg

What is that? Looks like a dude mashed his junk into a pin art toy.