• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Mike White only played one year of high school QB?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

Becht said it. But I'm sure you are more knowledgeable about football than he is.

Aren't you the guy who trusts the experts over some random message board joe?

Wow.  No one has ever called the Stanford offense a west coast offense.  I'm sure Becht is right and the rest of the world is wrong.  Please find me a quote of anyone else in the world calling this a west coast offense.

Whoever said Becht is an expert?

Not to get in the middle of your discussion, but here you go:

http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci_26412330/purdy-stanford-football-not-messing-tradition

The relevant section of the article:

"I confirmed this again Tuesday, as the new college season approaches. I asked Cardinal coach David Shaw if he had ever considered switching from the team's longtime prostyle West Coast offense to the spread offense that is all the rage in college football today."

Actually, the relevant part is Shaw's answer when he didn't correct him ...  ;)

"No," Shaw said quickly, then twitched his neck a bit. "You just kind of gave me the shivers there."

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,432
  • Days Won:  19

We have to assume, that ----- even if ALL our offensive problems were corrected (receivers caught all passes, pass blocking perfect, and strong O-line adjustments)...

and it came down to a simple fluid QB play:

------ White is better than Bench.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,724
  • Days Won:  109

To be real, the Holtz gang was scouting White. Tags offered (aka recruited).

The Holtz gang was talking to White and convincing him that USF was a good school to attend and play football.  

Taggart called and said "I confirm we will give you a scholly".

Which leads to the question as to why Tags is so hung up on White.  Tags heavily recruited Bench, not Holtz' regime.

Have to assume he's "hung up" on him because he thinks MW gives him the best chance to win ... 

Or could it be that Tags wants to be "right" more than he wants to "win".  Remember, he chose the wrong QB last year to start the season.  Switching QBs again this year would not look good for the man. 

May have been a question I posed on another thread.  Does anyone have the numbers that the QBs graded out at after the games that have been played thus far?  If someone could find those numbers it could enlighten us on this Board.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

The Holtz gang was talking to White and convincing him that USF was a good school to attend and play football.  

Which leads to the question as to why Tags is so hung up on White.  Tags heavily recruited Bench, not Holtz' regime.

Have to assume he's "hung up" on him because he thinks MW gives him the best chance to win ... 

That's a good one, Trip!

:roflmao:

We have to assume, that ----- even if ALL our offensive problems were corrected (receivers caught all passes, pass blocking perfect, and strong O-line adjustments)...

and it came down to a simple fluid QB play:

------ White is better than Bench.

Yeah, because football is a fluid sport and most QBs get as much time as they want to throw and WRs always catch all passes.

Oh, wait, most all QBs have to deal with pressure and imperfect receivers.  

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Becht said it. But I'm sure you are more knowledgeable about football than he is.

Aren't you the guy who trusts the experts over some random message board joe?

Wow.  No one has ever called the Stanford offense a west coast offense.  I'm sure Becht is right and the rest of the world is wrong.  Please find me a quote of anyone else in the world calling this a west coast offense.

Whoever said Becht is an expert?

Not to get in the middle of your discussion, but here you go:

http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci_26412330/purdy-stanford-football-not-messing-tradition

The relevant section of the article:

"I confirmed this again Tuesday, as the new college season approaches. I asked Cardinal coach David Shaw if he had ever considered switching from the team's longtime prostyle West Coast offense to the spread offense that is all the rage in college football today."

**** ... I missed this earlier. I guess that settles that, huh Shadow?

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

Or could it be that Tags wants to be "right" more than he wants to "win".  Remember, he chose the wrong QB last year to start the season.  Switching QBs again this year would not look good for the man. 

May have been a question I posed on another thread.  Does anyone have the numbers that the QBs graded out at after the games that have been played thus far?  If someone could find those numbers it could enlighten us on this Board.

I asked a similar question on another thread.

That White was playing last year because he gave the team the best chance to win, and a coach always plays the players that give the team the best chance to win:

"He was thrown into the fire (last season) and when I say thrown into the fire, it's not like he got a lot of reps in training camp or a lot of reps during the week," Coach Willie Taggart said. "He was throwing the ball with scout team and servicing our defense. 

"Not only was it new for him, but for everyone else too. So he didn't really stand a chance to be very successful at that point. ... He still needs more experience and more time, but I think he's so much better because of those games he played in last year."

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/one-year-in-white-finding-comfort-level/2202119

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

That White was playing last year because he gave the team the best chance to win, and a coach always plays the players that give the team the best chance to win:

"He was thrown into the fire (last season) and when I say thrown into the fire, it's not like he got a lot of reps in training camp or a lot of reps during the week," Coach Willie Taggart said. "He was throwing the ball with scout team and servicing our defense.

"Not only was it new for him, but for everyone else too. So he didn't really stand a chance to be very successful at that point. ... He still needs more experience and more time, but I think he's so much better because of those games he played in last year."

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/one-year-in-white-finding-comfort-level/2202119

A lot more experience.

I created this in it's own thread, since this is about Taggart much more than it is about White.  Does Taggart play those that give him the best chance to win?  That's what I've been told, insistently, for a year and a half.  These quotes suggest otherwise.   

But we can leave it buried in the White thread so it won't get as much pub.

Edited by ShadowBull