• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Mike White only played one year of high school QB?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

^ I dunno, Shadow, I don't read into that quote that White didn't give Tags the best chance to win. It just meant the others were even less successful so he had to play his best option at the time.

He had other QBs on the roster that, according to his own definition, were far more prepared to be successful.  He chose White instead, so he was waving the *ahem* white flag and giving up on the season.

I can't deny he was waving the flag by going with the untested freshman, but he did it because all the "more prepared" arrows in the quiver had already missed...significantly. So at least put the guy with the highest ceiling in, so that he can get the game experience...and who knows, maybe win!

Let's set something straight here.  Bench started 1 game after taking all the snaps at practice and got hurt that game.  Not sure how true your arrows are flying on this one.

Bench played the entire FAU game, then started against miami and then started against Cincy.

Did you miss the part about getting all the snaps in practice?

no I didn't. clearly he had 2 starts so he would be provided with 1st team reps for both of them.

OBrien offered bench at the last minute. he was desperate. gave him 4?? pass attempts and realized a high school option QB was not the right fit. I'm sure he was encouraged to transfer. for those that think Taggart recruited him heavily, they might want to consider the situation. Taggart was also desperate and was trying to land any transfer QB that could play right away that he could. that's a very limited #.

link?

Bench committed to penn state 2 weeks after O'Brien was brought in on January 7th. the guy was desperate that late in the game to sign anybody especially with all the craziness that was happening at the time.

read the link of articles concerning Bench above. a few quotes from just one article

O’Brien didn’t believe in Bench

Despite returning only Bench for this year, O'Brien repeatedly passed on getting the Georgia product some seasoning in several routs.

Even with fourth-quarter leads of 34-7 vs. Navy, 35-7 at Illinois, 38-7 at Iowa and 34-3 at Purdue, Bench watched from the bench as McGloin kept trotting out with the games long ago decided.

That was telling then and more telling now.

It showed O'Brien - particularly in facing scholarship limitations that will reduce the squad to 65 grants by August of 2014 - didn't want to invest time in a player he wasn't sure about

O'Brien also said he planned to meet with every member of the team and be candid about where they stood. The session, or sessions, with Bench took place quickly, and the status was resolved in less than a week and before the coaches' caravan bus departed.

Credit O'Brien for his refreshing honesty and not wanting to keep Bench around knowing he may never be more than a career backup, and with three years of eligibility left and four years to complete them, it makes perfect sense for Bench to find a better opportunity, perhaps closer to home.

Edited by Bull94

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

LOL (yeah, old guys do use that) ... We've gone from trying to invalidate THIS year's decision to stick with White by bringing up last year's circumstances to now going back to recruiting comparisons and beyond .... Beautiful.

Nice dodge.

You personally told me that Taggart would always put the player on the field that gives the team the best chance to win.  He just admitted he does not always do that.  It's ok to admit when you are wrong.

:facepalm:

I really don't have the energy to consistently explain to people the obvious point they have missed.

You're point was that Bench is a better option, and you used his experience at Notre Dame(you meant Penn State), as an example. I simply told you about the fact that he didn't receive that offer until PSU's recruiting class began to fall apart and was the sole reason he was offered.

Can you tell me where I am wrong? Don't worry, I'll wait.

I'm not trying to be an ass. I'm just saying, I don't think either are that much better. Sadly, we have two very, very average QBs.

Sigh.

I'm not saying you are wrong, I'm not arguing your point at all.  I'm not arguing who was the higher rated recruit.  If I want to argue that all I have to point out is that White best offer before USF came along was FAU.  I'm not saying who will be better long term, but who was better last year in game seven.

My point was that Bench was clearly the QB last year that gave us the best chance to win.  This is because Bench was far more mentally prepared to run the offense.  Taggart went with White because he was willing to sacrifice last year for future years.  That is what he was quoted as saying.

The reason I brought it up is that Trip and others have insisted that Taggart is always trying to win, that he would not put the players that do not give the team the best chance to win.  Taggart just stated that is not the case.

OBrien offered bench at the last minute. he was desperate. gave him 4?? pass attempts and realized a high school option QB was not the right fit. I'm sure he was encouraged to transfer. for those that think Taggart recruited him heavily, they might want to consider the situation. Taggart was also desperate and was trying to land any transfer QB that could play right away that he could. that's a very limited #.

link?

Bench committed to penn state 2 weeks after O'Brien was brought in on January 7th. the guy was desperate that late in the game to sign anybody especially with all the craziness that was happening at the time.

read the link of articles concerning Bench above. a few quotes from just one article

Despite returning only Bench for this year, O'Brien repeatedly passed on getting the Georgia product some seasoning in several routs.

Even with fourth-quarter leads of 34-7 vs. Navy, 35-7 at Illinois, 38-7 at Iowa and 34-3 at Purdue, Bench watched from the bench as McGloin kept trotting out with the games long ago decided.

It showed O'Brien - particularly in facing scholarship limitations that will reduce the squad to 65 grants by August of 2014 - didn't want to invest time in a player he wasn't sure about

O'Brien also said he planned to meet with every member of the team and be candid about where they stood. The session, or sessions, with Bench took place quickly, and the status was resolved in less than a week and before the coaches' caravan bus departed.

Credit O'Brien for his refreshing honesty and not wanting to keep Bench around knowing he may never be more than a career backup, and with three years of eligibility left and four years to complete them, it makes perfect sense for Bench to find a better opportunity, perhaps closer to home.

As I stated and you should know, White's best offer was FAU.  Then White got his USF offer very late in the game.  So how do you figure that White was more highly sought after by better schools?

link?

As I stated and you should know, White's best offer was FAU.  Then White got his USF offer very late in the game.  So how do you figure that White was more highly sought after by better schools?

where did I claim that?

the newspaper has offers from Houston, Mississippi State and others that came in late after winning the state title. there is no mention of FAU.here is an excerpt.

While said other schools ramped up their recruiting after he committed to the Bulls. Marshall, impressed by his play in the state playoffs, offered him just before the Bulls did. Houston offensive coordinator Doug Meachem, who recruited White as an Oklahoma State assistant, offered. Skip Holtz, who didn't offer White when he coached USF, did so for Louisiana Tech. Holtz's new offensive coordinator, Tony Peterson, had recruited him at Marshall.

Two weeks before signing day, Mississippi State offered. Offensive coordinator Les Koenning tried to sell him on playing in the SEC. As soon as that offer went public, White became a three-star recruit.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/college/mike-white-hopes-to-answer-usf-bulls-quarterback-questions/1274253

that's certainly a more impressive list than Rice, Georgia State, Jacksonville State, Samford, South Alabama, oh and the outlier Penn state who was looking at possibly shutting down the program at the time.

Edited by Bull94

link?

Shadow any response to the post above?

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Sigh.

I'm not saying you are wrong, I'm not arguing your point at all.  I'm not arguing who was the higher rated recruit.  If I want to argue that all I have to point out is that White best offer before USF came along was FAU.  I'm not saying who will be better long term, but who was better last year in game seven.

My point was that Bench was clearly the QB last year that gave us the best chance to win.  This is because Bench was far more mentally prepared to run the offense.  Taggart went with White because he was willing to sacrifice last year for future years.  That is what he was quoted as saying.

The reason I brought it up is that Trip and others have insisted that Taggart is always trying to win, that he would not put the players that do not give the team the best chance to win.  Taggart just stated that is not the case.

I think you're wrong here. I don't have anything to go on but my gut, which tells me Bench did something to piss Taggart off, and Taggs is holding a grudge. As long as Bench is here, Taggs will continue to play "anybody but Bench"

Regardless of who gives the team the best chance to win. It seems to me like Taggs is willing to burn the place to the ground rather than let Bench get an inch in whatever pissing contest they're having.

JMHO

• Upvote 1

Sigh.

I think you're wrong here. I don't have anything to go on but my gut, which tells me Bench did something to piss Taggart off, and Taggs is holding a grudge. As long as Bench is here, Taggs will continue to play "anybody but Bench"

Regardless of who gives the team the best chance to win. It seems to me like Taggs is willing to burn the place to the ground rather than let Bench get an inch in whatever pissing contest they're having.

JMHO

I was giving him the benefit of the doubt.

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,432
  • Days Won:  19

We have to assume, that ----- even if ALL our offensive problems were corrected (receivers caught all passes, pass blocking perfect, and strong O-line adjustments)...

and it came down to a simple fluid QB play:

------ White is better than Bench.

Yeah, because football is a fluid sport and most QBs get as much time as they want to throw and WRs always catch all passes.

Oh, wait, most all QBs have to deal with pressure and imperfect receivers.  

So, you think Bench is better than White!?

Apparently, so do the coaching staff, and yet Tags refuses to put him in the games.  Why?

How do we know this? The coaching staff (except CWT) thinks Bench is better than White!?