• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Cost us the game

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,009
  • Days Won:  469

I don't think that cost us the game and I don't think anyone should drop that weight on Swanson.  We all would have preferred he held on to the ball, but it hardly cost us.  He's going to have bright moments for us let's not pin the loss on one kid on one play. 

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

He's a fullback, of course he's looking to get contact--he just made a young mistake on switching hands. Before that, he had run like 30yds after making a catch in stride, so let's not think he's weak or something. Kid has a great future as a Bull.

These little option plays are one of the big things we've been missing, it was a great play call!

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

An unfortunate mistake by a kid that rarely touches the ball.   We lose the game even if he holds onto the ball and most of the other mistakes aren't made.  Several dumb mistakes by the secondary to keep drives alive.  The pass right in a receivers bread basket that ends up an interception.  Lots of mistakes, but in the end Wisconsin is a Top 10 team and we aren't.

• Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

Swanson made a big mistake and he knew it. At least the team's playing with some emotion... even the announcers said he was distraught on the sideline. 

He'll bounce back. I'm not upset with him that he took on a defender half his size instead of tiptoeing out of bounds... He just needs to secure the ball with two hands.

Edited by Willie_T_For_Me

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Or at least switch so the ball is in his outside hand. He would have fumbled out of bounds if he lost it in that case.

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

He'll learn. And next time the ball will be on the correct hand and the free hand and shoulder will lay out the sucker DB trying to tackle him.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  280
  • Days Won:  1

fumbles happen. While it was a silly mistake not to switch hands, I wouldn't put the entire fault of the loss on him. That's soul crushing to cover that much real estate, to have a fumble at the end

The loss is the SUM of all the parts, just like the win is the SUM of all the parts

Melvin Gordon fumbled the football for Wisconsin in the red zone in the 3rd quarter... almost in the same exact spot as Swanson did

Dd it cost Wisconsin the win? No

It was crushing, but it hardly cost us the win. How many 3 and outs did we have? How many times did we punt? How many times did we fail to stop the run from Wisconsin?

It's not fair to put this in his lap. The play contributed, but a very small amount to the bigger picture. 

Edited by MikePhillips

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  6,748
  • Days Won:  3

Maybe, in the grand philosophical sense "it cost us the game" in as much as it would be an addition to our other shortcomings. Monkeying with the space-time continuum, what if he doesn't fumble? Does that alone secure an upset win over the Badgers? I'm betting not hardly. 

If we gauge success as seeing improvement over last season, surely this game would allow a check mark in that box. The team consists of guys who are just learning what it takes to play and compete (anyone can lose) at this level. It could just be how the op was worded. Not meant to saddle yesterday's loss on one player so much as point out that this was an expensive mistake, by a team that can ill afford mistakes. 

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,344
  • Days Won:  43

Just a yound mistake. I hope his arm is ok as it didnt look good.  The young players will learn from these mistakes and come back stronger.