• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Worst Decision of the Game

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,114
  • Days Won:  7

I'm just hoping beyond hope that NC State goes and gives FSU a real run for it's money in a couple of weeks. That's the only way I feel even the tiniest bit better about this loss.

A lot of people missed it, but we had the misfortune of playing one of the toughest schedules in the country last year. McNeese state was one of the best (and remains that way) FCS teams out there. MSU of course won the Rose bowl. FAU was better than usual as they went 6-6 and I don't think any more needs to be said about Miami, Louisville, and UCF.

Edited by bullsbucsfan426

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Holtz didn't get BJD. 

I am not arguing about recruiting right now. I am saying the only reason Holtz had those glimmers is because of the phenomenal abilities of individuals. 

I am not talking about the current situation, or anything else. 

Holtz was able to win those games because a few people shined in their own outright ability to be gamers. He shined at ECU for the same reason. He is not, nor will ever be a good coach. 

Holtz was not a good coach, but every week he gets further and further from being the worst coach in USF history.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Holtz didn't get BJD.

I am not arguing about recruiting right now. I am saying the only reason Holtz had those glimmers is because of the phenomenal abilities of individuals.

Holtz was able to win those games because a few people shined in their own outright ability to be gamers. He shined at ECU for the same reason. He is not, nor will ever be a good coach.

Holtz was not a good coach, but every week he gets further and further from being the worst coach in USF history.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,074
  • Days Won:  14

Holtz didn't get BJD.

That seems to be the trend.  hope it changes.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I'm just hoping beyond hope that NC State goes and gives FSU a real run for it's money in a couple of weeks. That's the only way I feel even the tiniest bit better about this loss.

A lot of people missed it, but we had the misfortune of playing one of the toughest schedules in the country last year. McNeese state was one of the best (and remains that way) FCS teams out there. MSU of course won the Rose bowl. FAU was better than usual as they went 6-6 and I don't think any more needs to be said about Miami, Louisville, and UCF.

So is your point that this year we are playing an easier schedule and playing more poorly?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,678
  • Days Won:  108

Holtz didn't get BJD. 

He took over a La Tech team last year that lost about 30 players and did not have a good season.  This year his team scored 16 v Oklahoma at Oklahoma and has put up over 40 points in each of the last 2 games v. No Texas and La. Lafayette (both wins BTW).  Do you think this years USF team scores that many against either of those teams?  Besides not recruiting well he was a victim of too much loyalty. Had he changed D Coordinators he would have done much better here.  We were almost always in games. I know there aren't moral victories but after watching last week's game I don't see Tags as the solution.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I don't understand the whole argument that in order to rebuild a program you have to make it far worse before it gets better.  The truly talented coaches get the most out of the talent they have while they recruit the talent they want.  FSU did not go 1-11 a couple of times under Jimbo before become a NC contender.  There is absolutely no reason at all USF can't leverage it's existing talent to have a mediocre offense while "transitioning" to the type of team that Taggart wants.  For the team to be this bad demonstrates a complete lack of vision and creativity by the coaching staff, or at least the person(s) making decisions.

While you are building, you can and should try to win games.  

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,536
  • Days Won:  422

I don't understand the whole argument that in order to rebuild a program you have to make it far worse before it gets better.  The truly talented coaches get the most out of the talent they have while they recruit the talent they want.  FSU did not go 1-11 a couple of times under Jimbo before become a NC contender.  There is absolutely no reason at all USF can't leverage it's existing talent to have a mediocre offense while "transitioning" to the type of team that Taggart wants.  For the team to be this bad demonstrates a complete lack of vision and creativity by the coaching staff, or at least the person(s) making decisions.

Maybe try a little closer to home, figuratively speaking, on the comparison ... Not sure how serious that post will be taken otherwise.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I don't understand the whole argument that in order to rebuild a program you have to make it far worse before it gets better. The truly talented coaches get the most out of the talent they have while they recruit the talent they want. FSU did not go 1-11 a couple of times under Jimbo before become a NC contender. There is absolutely no reason at all USF can't leverage it's existing talent to have a mediocre offense while "transitioning" to the type of team that Taggart wants. For the team to be this bad demonstrates a complete lack of vision and creativity by the coaching staff, or at least the person(s) making decisions.

I agree with this sentiment wholeheartedly. At this point we should at least start to see some improvement. Throw out the WCU game, which of course was a lower tier FCS team and we still can't get the offense to score more than once per game. How many times did that happen since Taggart has been here. What can we point to that this team is indeed improving?

• Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

Holtz didn't get BJD. 

He took over a La Tech team last year that lost about 30 players and did not have a good season.  This year his team scored 16 v Oklahoma at Oklahoma and has put up over 40 points in each of the last 2 games v. No Texas and La. Lafayette (both wins BTW).  Do you think this years USF team scores that many against either of those teams?  Besides not recruiting well he was a victim of too much loyalty. Had he changed D Coordinators he would have done much better here.  We were almost always in games. I know there aren't moral victories but after watching last week's game I don't see Tags as the solution.

Agreed CR, I also see us as worse than where we would have been had Holtz remained.  I also agree that he lived and eventually died by his two-year contracted DC (Cosh) who did not have the resume to bank your professional life on.  Bad move by Holtz and it amplified all the other shortcomings.