• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Worst Decision of the Game

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  714
  • Days Won:  1

Holtz didn't get BJD. 

I am not arguing about recruiting right now. I am saying the only reason Holtz had those glimmers is because of the phenomenal abilities of individuals. 

I am not talking about the current situation, or anything else. 

Holtz was able to win those games because a few people shined in their own outright ability to be gamers. He shined at ECU for the same reason. He is not, nor will ever be a good coach. 

He took over a La Tech team last year that lost about 30 players and did not have a good season.  This year his team scored 16 v Oklahoma at Oklahoma and has put up over 40 points in each of the last 2 games v. No Texas and La. Lafayette (both wins BTW).  Do you think this years USF team scores that many against either of those teams?  Besides not recruiting well he was a victim of too much loyalty. Had he changed D Coordinators he would have done much better here.  We were almost always in games. I know there aren't moral victories but after watching last week's game I don't see Tags as the solution.

BJ helped make a below average offensive line look good.  Once BJ got hurt the offense has been awful.

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,075
  • Days Won:  2

"At least when Skip Holtz was here we could keep the game close".....

There are so many things wrong with this.

Holtz sucked, you are right.  For the Holtz lovers, please move along.....

Edited by Mission9

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

"At least when Skip Holtz was here we could keep the game close".....

There are so many things wrong with this.

Holtz sucked, you are right. For the Holtz lovers, please move along.....

And for the CWT lovers, stick around. There are plenty more records that can be broken.

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Holtz didn't get BJD. 

I am not arguing about recruiting right now. I am saying the only reason Holtz had those glimmers is because of the phenomenal abilities of individuals. 

Holtz was able to win those games because a few people shined in their own outright ability to be gamers. He shined at ECU for the same reason. He is not, nor will ever be a good coach. 

He took over a La Tech team last year that lost about 30 players and did not have a good season.  This year his team scored 16 v Oklahoma at Oklahoma and has put up over 40 points in each of the last 2 games v. No Texas and La. Lafayette (both wins BTW).  Do you think this years USF team scores that many against either of those teams?  Besides not recruiting well he was a victim of too much loyalty. Had he changed D Coordinators he would have done much better here.  We were almost always in games. I know there aren't moral victories but after watching last week's game I don't see Tags as the solution.

Ricky, I have to disagree. If you're going to be a head coach with a less hands-on philosophy, like Holtz was, then you've got to pick better coordinators. Your coordinators have to coach and recruit like crazy. During his time here, Holtz just didn't bring in the right support staff for his style of coaching. He was great with the media, but that was about it. It looks like Holtz may have learned to pick better coordinators at La Tech, or he's lucked into some good ones after Mack Brown's "retirement" at Texas.  

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,677
  • Days Won:  108

Holtz didn't get BJD. 

Ricky, I have to disagree. If you're going to be a head coach with a less hands-on philosophy, like Holtz was, then you've got to pick better coordinators. Your coordinators have to coach and recruit like crazy. During his time here, Holtz just didn't bring in the right support staff for his style of coaching. He was great with the media, but that was about it. It looks like Holtz may have learned to pick better coordinators at La Tech, or he's lucked into some good ones after Mack Brown's "retirement" at Texas.  

I pretty much said that he had the wrong defensive coordinator. As for recruiting, I don't remember when Larry Scott and Phil McGeoghan got pushed out - losing those 2 hurt a lot.  He was tied to the guys at ECU very much like Tags had done with WKU when he first came.  What we are learning from both is that success at Conf USA level does not equal success at upper tier (assuming we are/were upper tier).  In Holtz' case a step back down to Conf USA and he seems he may be able to do well again.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Larry Scott is the guy that got the great Mike White here, who Taggart feels is clearly the best QB we have.  Scott was one of the "terrible" recruiters on Holtz staff.