• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF officials ready to act for on-campus stadium

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Content Count:  2,233
  • Days Won:  6

Never understood students complaining about parking at USF. You are young, park your car, and walk your ass to class.

they wont walk to the FREE SHUTTLE BUS to ride to Ray Jay, and you want them to walk to class or a stadium?   :icon_drink:

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  432
  • Days Won:  0

I always bought the cheap parking pass when I was a student and never took the Bullrunner. I always walked a ton to get to and from classes. Since I was so busy with work and school it was the only exercise I could get a lot of the time. I don't have a problem with a parking situation that would make me have to walk a bit to get to an OCS. With that said, my wife is pregnant so I would hope that maybe they would have closer parking available for expectant mothers coming to the games. 

I've been considering increasing my donation next year... if they presented me with an opportunity to increase my donation with the assurance that a portion of that was going towards building an OCS I would jump at that. 

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

moving from a state of the art  stadium to a rinky dink 40k jerry rigged stadium would be dumb but very usf like

if you cant build a state of the art stadium to rival the swamp or doak why bother

Your assumption that we would build a rinky dink stadium is silly. 

USF has said repeatedly that they're going to do it right and right is what the University of Minnesota has. 

Btw, the Swamp and Doak were originally just that-rinky dink stadiums. The Swamp started as a 22k seat stadium in 1921 and didn't get to a size that befits the Gator's history of winning until 40 years after it was built (it finally cleared 62000 in 1961). Doak Campbell started as a 15k seat stadium in 1950 and didn't clear the 60k mark until 35 years later, when it hit 60519. Stadiums ARE NOT built over night, they grow with demand for the program. And if population growth and Florida talent is any indication, USF will grow it's fan base without real trouble. All we have to do is win.

While I can't deny I would love a smaller scale replica of Century Link Field in Seattle (that place just gets loud from the design alone), I get that it's not feasible. 

I've sat on wooden bleachers in OLD stadiums that can't even keep up with demands for WATER! In some of those "STATE of the ART" stadiums.

I'll take my chances with what USF builds.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Haters gonna hate hate hate hate hate

Just shake em off boys, the time is coming soon.

DRILL BABY DRILL!

I want my name etched in a brick on the wall of our inaugural on campus stadium!!!

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

If attendance increased 100% that would put 38K in the stadium. How about we reconfigure the Sundome and play indoors? It's on campus.

And if it increased 100% from when we were winning , we would need an 80k+ stadium.

How about we use Michigan's stadium.

Both are stupid statements. You don't go off of bad years numbers, and you don't go off of just good years either.

A NICE 50k stadium will do us just fine.

Edited by Hem
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276

Thankful that the powers that be are looking into an OCS. Some people just cant grasp that fact that 20K in a 40K OCS is better than 20K in an off campus 65K for many reasons. KnightLight has been right on about an OCS. And for USF fans to think that we dont need one is thinking short sighted for this rebuilding program.   Would love to see Harlan get some businesses looking into this as they can build around that OCS and get a good campus village moving forward. The pep rallies on campus and the on campus spring game just shows you that the USF campus is dying to have an OCS. 

Thanks but many USF fans (though they have been shouted down in the past) have been strong proponents of an on-campus stadium and the LIFETIME Plus benefits that it brings not only to the football program, but maybe even more important, to the Univ as a whole.

moving from a state of the art  stadium to a rinky dink 40k jerry rigged stadium would be dumb but very usf like

if you cant build a state of the art stadium to rival the swamp or doak why bother

Your assumption that we would build a rinky dink stadium is silly. 

USF has said repeatedly that they're going to do it right and right is what the University of Minnesota has. 

Btw, the Swamp and Doak were originally just that-rinky dink stadiums. The Swamp started as a 22k seat stadium in 1921 and didn't get to a size that befits the Gator's history of winning until 40 years after it was built (it finally cleared 62000 in 1961). Doak Campbell started as a 15k seat stadium in 1950 and didn't clear the 60k mark until 35 years later, when it hit 60519. Stadiums ARE NOT built over night, they grow with demand for the program. And if population growth and Florida talent is any indication, USF will grow it's fan base without real trouble. All we have to do is win.

Great point...as most on-campus stadiums stadium are really versions 5, 6, 7, etc...that have been expanded/renovated over the past 70-90 plus years...but they key is to BUILD ONE FIRST...and then always improve it.

Doak Campbell in 1950

c014211.jpg

Florida Field 1930's

6238939475_49837afa52_z.jpg

moving from a state of the art stadium to a rinky dink 40k jerry rigged stadium would be dumb but very usf like

Doak is UCF with a facade

So true...(actually, UCF's concourse is much wider/open than that of Doak).

WHOOPS! I just lost the ability to post images on this board. Wonder if a particular mod did that?

Anyway, here are some photos of FSU's concourse area, which their facade helped cover  up:

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff141/noleknight/FSU%20Campus/doak_erector4.jpg

http://www.soonerfans.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2375&d=1316657168

Doak Campbell has much more in common with the old Citrus Bowl...which use to look like that.

Here's what BHNS's concourse looks like:

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1275/1391920332_4b6563d48a_z.jpg

Edited by Knight_Light

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  280
  • Days Won:  1

sorry if I went on a rant about the parking services, etc

Here is how it can work-

1) Put the On Campus Stadium any place it will fit. That area west of the main entrance might work, or back near the botanical gardens might work also. Maybe even behind the elementary school

2) During the game, open up the ENTIRE CAMPUS to parking for the event. There rarely are any classes Friday or Saturday nights, so obviously there is no need for faculty parking, staff parking, student parking, etc. Open up the ENTIRE campus for parking. If you can find a spot, take it

3) Start ticketing on Sunday afternoon, after the game. This gives people who were too drunk the night before, who did the RESPONSIBLE THING of having someone else take them, plenty of time to sleep off the alcohol and safely retrieve their car the next day. 

Now, are the bureaucrats, policy makers and planners at USF smart enough to figure this out?

Absolutely not, they do not have the intelligence to figure this out. If they build an on campus stadium, I predict it will have 50,000 seats, with a parking lot the size of the one behind the Marshall Center near Health Services. No parking garages, no other lots to park in, no place to tailgate, no place to hang out. No tailgate parties, no big places to get food like we currently have with the Bulls Club, no place for kids to run around and have fun, none of that. 

Quite a few smart people designed Raymond James Stadium. We enjoy how well that stadium was thought out, with major roads, multiple entrances and exits, lots of safe and convenient parking for guests, workers, and patrons. 

To assume that USF is capable to putting the same amount of thought and design into an OCS, (that was put into Raymond James), is horrifically overestimating the intelligence of the planners that will be in charge of this disaster. 

I would love to have an On Campus Stadium, I get a great feeling walking through the campus with my daughters and seeing how much it's changed. I really enjoy how beautiful the campus is, and it's a great feeling to walk around there. I'm proud to be a USF alumni and I'm proud to say "I graduated from here!"

Back in the late 1990's, when we had ALOT more parking before they expanded the dorms, we could barely hold the concerts at the special events center, and that seated what? 5,000 people?

Multiple that times 10? ugh....

Don't forget, USF is surrounded by residential areas. Noise complaints anyone? 

1 kid with autism within 5 miles of that OCS, can easily derail the entire project. 

Edited by MikePhillips

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,432
  • Days Won:  19

Year 1: Plans for a feasibility study

Year 2: Budgeting to complete the study

Year 3: The Study is complete

Year 4: Fundraising begins

Year 5: Fundraising continues

Year 6: Compromise must be made, because community support isn't there

Year 7: Athletic budget costs increase