• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF officials ready to act for on-campus stadium

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,634
  • Days Won:  424

moving from a state of the art stadium to a rinky dink 40k jerry rigged stadium would be dumb but very usf like

if you cant build a state of the art stadium to rival the swamp or doak why bother

The idea that either the Swamp or Doak are "state of the art" stadiums is hilarious. I've been to both many, many times. They're special venues, but not because they're "state of the art."

Those of you who are sanguine about an OCS are a vocal minority. Insisting on "need" as a criterion is funny and largely pointless. Fortunately, administrators are about to learn (via their feasibility study) that the average student and donor WANT (not need) to build a more traditional game day experience on campus (I.e. sans a goofy pirate ship and FIRE THE CANONS!) like most schools in Florida and are willing to pay for it. If it turns out I'm wrong (I could be) we'll remain RJS' red-headed step child indefinitely and probably get passed over during the next realignment in favor of the school to the east (not a "pipe dream" that we'll have to match or exceed them in school-specific facilities for consideration). I suppose for some of you that would be a good result because, hey, RJS is a good recruiting tool and pretty cavernous.

Where's that little spoiled girl pic from Willy Wonka? And just like her daddy was paying for everything, it's not the average student and donor that will be the financial impetus behind an ocs. You all can pout and stomp your feet all you want ... use scare reasoning like we need one to get to a P5 ... but in the end, it's the grownups who'll make the decision based on hard, cold answers from their study ... and if those anwers say they have the financial support to build something on campus with even close to the amenities of RayJay, with close to the same affordability as now, I think that would be awesome.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,634
  • Days Won:  424

if you cant build a state of the art stadium to rival the swamp or doak why bother

:facepalm:

Trip, you don't think we have the technology to build a 65 year old stadium?

I'm trying to figure out exactly what "state of the art" means there ....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  131
  • Content Count:  3,096
  • Days Won:  1

Now dont kill me for this, but UCF has a solid site plan for parking areas on gamedays.  The GOLD lots nearest the Wok are Donor Club Permit Only.  Blue and Red are free and yellow is resident.

ucf-campus-parking-map-13.jpg

I went to game with some friends back a few year ago and we parked in Blue Lot H1 and tailgated on the lawn just to the right of that lot.  Campus facilities set up a ton of those disposable trash cans all over the parking areas and they really had a great setup.

Edited by bull2saintleo

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

moving from a state of the art stadium to a rinky dink 40k jerry rigged stadium would be dumb but very usf like

The idea that either the Swamp or Doak are "state of the art" stadiums is hilarious. I've been to both many, many times. They're special venues, but not because they're "state of the art."

Those of you who are sanguine about an OCS are a vocal minority. Insisting on "need" as a criterion is funny and largely pointless. Fortunately, administrators are about to learn (via their feasibility study) that the average student and donor WANT (not need) to build a more traditional game day experience on campus (I.e. sans a goofy pirate ship and FIRE THE CANONS!) like most schools in Florida and are willing to pay for it. If it turns out I'm wrong (I could be) we'll remain RJS' red-headed step child indefinitely and probably get passed over during the next realignment in favor of the school to the east (not a "pipe dream" that we'll have to match or exceed them in school-specific facilities for consideration). I suppose for some of you that would be a good result because, hey, RJS is a good recruiting tool and pretty cavernous.

Where's that little spoiled girl pic from Willy Wonka? And just like her daddy was paying for everything, it's not the average student and donor that will be the financial impetus behind an ocs. You all can pout and stomp your feet all you want ... use scare reasoning like we need one to get to a P5 ... but in the end, it's the grownups who'll make the decision based on hard, cold answers from their study ... and if those anwers say they have the financial support to build something on campus with even close to the amenities of RayJay, with close to the same affordability as now, I think that would be awesome.

So I guess you think Harlan's the spoiled little girl from Willie Wonka? No, he's a visionary, not a reactionary. Reactionary people bury their heads in the sand and only point out obstacles, never solutions. They like to pretend they're the adults in the room. It makes them feel better about being reactionary, so when everyone else (UCF) passes them by, they can tell themselves they took the only reasonable approach.

Woolard was a reactionary, but now he's gone. I for one appreciate visionaries like Harlan and others who understand that (1) money can be raised, (2) doing nothing will not work (fundraising-wise), and (3) if we do nothing USF will remain precisely where it is - on the outside looking in.

Which is apparently fine for you.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Tally, I think most want an OCS. I know I do. I just think there are many Bulls on here that think an OCS is the savior of the program, when in reality there are other things, like winning, that we need to accomplish first. And unless we get donations far above what we have seen so far ... About 200 CousinRickys ... Or the state decides to fund a stadium, I don't see how it gets built - we can't afford it otherwise, with the revenue we currently have.

You may call it reactionary, but it's really realism.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

Tally, I think most want an OCS. I know I do. I just think there are many Bulls on here that think an OCS is the savior of the program, when in reality there are other things, like winning, that we need to accomplish first. And unless we get donations far above what we have seen so far ... About 200 CousinRickys ... Or the state decides to fund a stadium, I don't see how it gets built - we can't afford it otherwise, with the revenue we currently have.

You may call it reactionary, but it's really realism.

I hear you. I really do. But unless someone tries something, nothing will ever happen. I'm glad Harlan's willing to at least look into it. It seems like some folks on here have staked out their positions and consider it a personal affront that not everyone agrees with what they consider the "obvious" and "realistic" answer. Just my two cents. We'll see what happens! Edited by TallyBull

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Let's not talk about UCF.  I've been there, done that, hated it.  Everyone on here should know by now I don't have big, thick Green and Gold glasses.

I work in Orlando.  Every year there is a group that does a UCF together.  This year the group has decided to go from Orlando to Tampa for the UCF-USF game instead of a different UCF because it is a far superior game day experience and the extra travel time to Tampa is offset by virtue of the tailgate not being a major pain to drag stuff all over campus. 

These are UCF fans saying they'd rather travel an extra hour for a better, easier, more enjoyable experience than the UCF one.  I think that says it all.