• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Reading inbetween the lines. Breezy sandbagged against WCU.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  2,166
  • Days Won:  1

The fact I know Bresnahan is not a horrible coach I know he simplified the defense. Soft coverage, 3 man rushes on the QB. This guy isn't an idiot. I was ticked because the game was so close, but he gave Maryland no film on the defense to study.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  7,004
  • Days Won:  12

We have 11 more games. I am not taking this one game as an indication of what we are capable of. 

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

The fact I know Bresnahan is not a horrible coach I know he simplified the defense. Soft coverage, 3 man rushes on the QB. This guy isn't an idiot. I was ticked because the game was so close, but he gave Maryland no film on the defense to study.

True..I think we had one or two blitzes called.

Very vanilla defense

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  687
  • Days Won:  3

I tend to agree and sure hope we are right.  He did an excellent job last year, no reason to think he won't make good adjustments.  I was surprised to see us stay so far off the ball for so long though...was tough to watch thinking we should have had superior athletes.  

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

I don't read it as sandbagging. New system and to keep it simple and not overwhelm them he basically asked the players to stay basic and get to the ball.

This seems more reasonable, since if he sandbagged a game that we clearly could have lost he's not a smart guy.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

For you non twitter people, based on this JK tweet.

Joey Knight @TBTimes_Bulls  ·  2h

Bresnahan: "We gave them limited tools because we wanted to see them run, play fast, and they did that." #USF

Man i didn't realize I post in Yoda speak sometimes.

Thanks for the tweet. Sheds some light about the coaches insight involved in the game. .

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

All I can say is, duh.  Pretty sure I mentioned during or shortly after the game that we were playing very vanilla on defense.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,714
  • Days Won:  424

Considering we lost last season, nearly lost this season and the games actually matter in the win loss column I would say that if that is his thinking then he is wrong

I am inclined to concur.

That was the only "Div 2" game we play so it looks like the thinking worked pretty good ..

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

Considering we lost last season, nearly lost this season and the games actually matter in the win loss column I would say that if that is his thinking then he is wrong

I am inclined to concur.

That was the only "Div 2" game we play so it looks like the thinking worked pretty good ..

I don't follow. Seems it would have been better for them to try playing the defensive schemes they will be expected to play for the rest of the season. Now they'll be trying new things out in our FBS opener, rather than have already had game time experience executing the "real" schemes.

I'm obviously no college football coach....just my two cents. If we beat Maryland I'll be the first singing the coaches' praises. But I'm concerned.

• Topic Count:  138
  • Content Count:  3,594
  • Days Won:  3

The handful of times we blitzed, it worked. Only time it didnt work was when ward whiffed on the qb