• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Reading inbetween the lines. Breezy sandbagged against WCU.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

The fact I know Bresnahan is not a horrible coach I know he simplified the defense. Soft coverage, 3 man rushes on the QB. This guy isn't an idiot. I was ticked because the game was so close, but he gave Maryland no film on the defense to study.

True..I think we had one or two blitzes called.

Very vanilla defense

The only way it makes sense for how he called the defense last game is if like you said above they didn't want to give Maryland anything on film. If not, the lack of preparation going into the game and lack of in-game adjustments is very concerning.

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,272
  • Days Won:  255

Considering we lost last season, nearly lost this season and the games actually matter in the win loss column I would say that if that is his thinking then he is wrong

I am inclined to concur.

That was the only "Div 2" game we play so it looks like the thinking worked pretty good ..

If Mack doesn't blow up out of nowhere what makes us think that we turn on the defense, everything clicks, we get some turnover for points and win the game? You play to win and as a team that squeaked out two wins last season every win is important.

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  1,304
  • Days Won:  2

Maybe he thinks we can treat Div 2 schools like a preseason game. Hope I'm pleasantly surprised with our D this Saturday. Will be just as curious as our passing game growth to see.

* Div 1-AA

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

Maybe he thinks we can treat Div 2 schools like a preseason game. Hope I'm pleasantly surprised with our D this Saturday. Will be just as curious as our passing game growth to see.

* Div 1-AA

*FCS

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

This is total and utter nonsense.

CCB was so confident in the OFFENSE that he was content to let the opposing team drop 20+ on us in non-garbage time play to teach the guys something and/or not show anything on film for next week?

I call BS. Maybe it started out the way he says, but once they got that first 7 and we couldn't do diddly on offense it should've been over. Down 14-3 if Mack didn't save us, the offense that night wasn't putting up another 14 to save CWT and CCB their jobs.

He really needed his defense ready for a 10-7 win.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

* Div 1-AA

*FCS

WGAF?

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

We have 11 more games. I am not taking this one game as an indication of what we are capable of.

Same. The defense was by no means spectacular last year, but it was good. Much better than what we saw Saturday night (which was horrid)

My concern is the offense. It looks like another struggle on that side of the ball.

• Topic Count:  2,345
  • Content Count:  21,365
  • Days Won:  10

We are assuming that they knew they could win this game by playing a vanilla offense and defense.  That was a huge risk to take, unless they decided to make second half adjustments if it was not paying off.    If they did do this and won the gamble, I would be more impressed with this coaching crew especially if now Maryland is caught off guard. 

* Div 1-AA

*FCS

WGAF?

When people use the wrong terms, it makes them sound like they don't really know what they're talking about... I never understand why people refer to the now FBS teams as "Division 1" - when there are more than 300 schools in Division 1.

The University of Tampa, Florida Southern, St. Leo -- these are all Division 2 schools.  So are schools like Western Oregon and Albany State.

-------------

Getting back on topic... I did not see a "lack of preparation" or a "lack of execution" against WCU.  To me it looked like a gameplan to prevent big plays -- something that hurt us last year against McNeese... WCU average less than 3 yards per rush... and only 8 yards per completion (with a long of 36).

Yes, I might agree that using a real game to try some new stuff would be helpful... that's a double edged sword because MD can plan for it if they see it.

I think USF will win, but I am not 100% confident in that.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

To me, the fact that we couldn't execute a "vanilla" offensive gameplan against WCU is the concern. Mack isn't breaking 3 60 yard TDs against anyone else on our schedule.