• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Anchor Down?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

At least people are seeing USF out there.  Thanks Vandy for breaking the rules.

Yep, we made it boys.

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,142
  • Days Won:  39

This resulted in a hilarious/surreal referree call. Not sure how this will paste using my phone...

The best I can come up with is they are in the SEC and run this show.

http://deadspin.com/vanderbilt-overturned-a-referees-penalty-by-making-him-1628432299

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

I'm guessing this becomes the dumbest, most exaggerrated, meanigless thing on the board this season. Well, maybe right behind the ESPN3/SEC Network Vandy vs Temple game conspiracy. Only 1 day away..

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Ok. let's go over this again.  We had a mock up and were going through the NCAA process.  It was never put on game jerseys.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,737
  • Days Won:  425

I think the most telling thing to me was how the officials completely disregarded the rules in favor of Vandy during the game.   They were supposed to have 1 timeout taken from them every quarter the jerseys were worn.  That's what the NCAA threatened USF with.   Apparently though since some e-mail was shown to the Refs that the SEC approved the jerseys the refs decided they wouldn't take the timeouts away.

I am so glad Temple put the beatdown on them like they did.   When we tried to do it, Taggart just had to say "Rules are Rules".  An SEC team does it though and they just let it go like nothing happened.

The officials didn't completely disregard the rules. They addressed it in the 2nd quarter, taking time outs away but then reinstating them after the email was presented ....

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

I think the most telling thing to me was how the officials completely disregarded the rules in favor of Vandy during the game.   They were supposed to have 1 timeout taken from them every quarter the jerseys were worn.  That's what the NCAA threatened USF with.   Apparently though since some e-mail was shown to the Refs that the SEC approved the jerseys the refs decided they wouldn't take the timeouts away.

I am so glad Temple put the beatdown on them like they did.   When we tried to do it, Taggart just had to say "Rules are Rules".  An SEC team does it though and they just let it go like nothing happened.

What were the refs supposed to do?  Did you want them to stop the game and call around the US until they found the proper NCAA official to tell them whether it was ok to have that on the shirts or not?

Vandy may or may not have been playing dumb, but they were told the unis were approved (by the NCAA by the way) and were not specifically told the "Anchor Down" was not approved.  In this game it didn't matter either way, but I would rather see games decided on the field than because someone had some words on the back of their jersey so they got penalized for it. 

Refs were supposed to stick to their guns, enforce the rules and let Vanderbilt play under protest if they wish.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

What were the refs supposed to do?  Did you want them to stop the game and call around the US until they found the proper NCAA official to tell them whether it was ok to have that on the shirts or not?

Vandy may or may not have been playing dumb, but they were told the unis were approved (by the NCAA by the way) and were not specifically told the "Anchor Down" was not approved.  In this game it didn't matter either way, but I would rather see games decided on the field than because someone had some words on the back of their jersey so they got penalized for it. 

Refs were supposed to stick to their guns, enforce the rules and let Vanderbilt play under protest if they wish.

Really?  Even with an email from their boss that said they should not enforce it?

I'm quite sure you would disregard what your boss said, also.  :rolleyes:

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

:popcorn:
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

It happened the way it did because its an obscure rule likely no current ref has ever had to call or enforce. The procedure for enforcement was then kind of a question mark and the the head ref seems to give the okay the officials on the field go with it.

Dumb rule IMO. As long as the jerseys aren't offensive who cares?

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,142
  • Days Won:  39

I'm guessing this becomes the dumbest, most exaggerrated, meanigless thing on the board this season. Well, maybe right behind the ESPN3/SEC Network Vandy vs Temple game conspiracy. Only 1 day away..

I missed this conspiracy... Which was that one?