• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Anchor Down?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Is this a party and no one sent me an invite? Is anyone aware that "Anchor Down"  has no meaning? Not a usage on a ship for sure.

I'm willing to bet that "Anchor Down" has meaning to the Vandy football team.

http://admissions.vanderbilt.edu/vandybloggers/2013/09/vu-football-traditions-101/

Dropping the anchor:  The Vanderbilt Anchor was adopted in 2004 as a symbol of unity and strength and accompanies the team to all home and away games.  Before each home game, a group or individual is selected to “drop the anchor†at midfield to mark the beginning of the evening’s events.  Past participants have included prominent faculty, highly accomplished students, and figures in the medical center, but last Thursday’s game featured a particularly handsome group of men from the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,639
  • Days Won:  424

I'm able to pull up the aTM - USCe game as well.

http://espn.go.com/watchespn/player/_/id/1973105/size/condensed/#

That's not a replay. It's a re-air currently on the SECN.

Hey everyone... good news - even a day late:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/24686527/vandy-anchor-down-jerseys-banned-after-approval-miscommunication

Vandy 'Anchor Down' jerseys banned after approval 'miscommunication'

"When reached by CBSSports.com's Jeremy Fowler Friday, SEC officials coordinator Steve Shaw said the league communicated to its schools the NCAA parameters on jersey displays, and that USF's decision to remove its "The Team" slogan was the correct one."

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

NCAA just dropped the boom on Vandy.... SEC says it was a "miscommunication"

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11431641/sec-rules-vanderbilt-football-uniforms-not-allowed-future

Nice to see our stupidity is mentioned at the bottom of the article.... 

oops.... 

Edited by Southshore26

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,041
  • Days Won:  11

so are they going to lose 4 timeouts for the next game? seems only fair :stirpot:

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  165
  • Content Count:  2,233
  • Days Won:  6

At least people are seeing USF out there.  Thanks Vandy for breaking the rules.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  315
  • Days Won:  3

I think the most telling thing to me was how the officials completely disregarded the rules in favor of Vandy during the game.   They were supposed to have 1 timeout taken from them every quarter the jerseys were worn.  That's what the NCAA threatened USF with.   Apparently though since some e-mail was shown to the Refs that the SEC approved the jerseys the refs decided they wouldn't take the timeouts away.

I am so glad Temple put the beatdown on them like they did.   When we tried to do it, Taggart just had to say "Rules are Rules".  An SEC team does it though and they just let it go like nothing happened.

I think the most telling thing to me was how the officials completely disregarded the rules in favor of Vandy during the game.   They were supposed to have 1 timeout taken from them every quarter the jerseys were worn.  That's what the NCAA threatened USF with.   Apparently though since some e-mail was shown to the Refs that the SEC approved the jerseys the refs decided they wouldn't take the timeouts away.

I am so glad Temple put the beatdown on them like they did.   When we tried to do it, Taggart just had to say "Rules are Rules".  An SEC team does it though and they just let it go like nothing happened.

What were the refs supposed to do?  Did you want them to stop the game and call around the US until they found the proper NCAA official to tell them whether it was ok to have that on the shirts or not?

Vandy may or may not have been playing dumb, but they were told the unis were approved (by the NCAA by the way) and were not specifically told the "Anchor Down" was not approved.  In this game it didn't matter either way, but I would rather see games decided on the field than because someone had some words on the back of their jersey so they got penalized for it. 

So the email came from the head of SEC officials... and - you guys will love this - rules are always subject to the judgement of the game officials... holding... offsides... jersey names... are all part of the rules.

So they had an email purportedly from their boss and they have the power to enforce or not as they see fit.

This may not make it right -- but it at least explains what happened.