• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Musa and Hawkins Leaving Team

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,473
  • Days Won:  13

We should have never fired Heath.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,686
  • Days Won:  108

This probably isn't a win now situation anyway. The program has a lot of issues and needs to be built up.

I don't see the players that have left so far as irreplaceable. Although he had a few decent games, LeDay looked lost and in the wrong place a lot of the time on defense.

Hawkins, for some reason wasn't developing as expected. His 4 ppg are easily replaceable as are LeDay's 3 ppg

As far as not being a "win now situstion". My feeling is that even though there is some initial buzz about Antigua, there still needs to be a lot of improvement on the floor this year. There was a foundation of good players in place and is still here. Once the season starts that positive buzz goes away. It becomes about winning and losing.

I maintain that if this team doesn't at least get an NIT bid this year the firing Heath was idiotic.

And I know a lot of people like to compare it to the Holtz situation whenever a coaching change is made. The difference here is Holtz didn't get it done with a his core group of seniors his last year. That team had to be rebuilt. The basketball program already has many of the key contributors coming back and the foundation was set. The rebuilding was already begun.

Bottom line is tesm needs to show improvement and start getting attendance up this coming year. Not 3 years down the road.

Just wondering how you have your core group of seniors if you are only here 3 years???

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

This probably isn't a win now situation anyway. The program has a lot of issues and needs to be built up.

I don't see the players that have left so far as irreplaceable. Although he had a few decent games, LeDay looked lost and in the wrong place a lot of the time on defense.

Hawkins, for some reason wasn't developing as expected. His 4 ppg are easily replaceable as are LeDay's 3 ppg

As far as not being a "win now situstion". My feeling is that even though there is some initial buzz about Antigua, there still needs to be a lot of improvement on the floor this year. There was a foundation of good players in place and is still here. Once the season starts that positive buzz goes away. It becomes about winning and losing.

I maintain that if this team doesn't at least get an NIT bid this year the firing Heath was idiotic.

And I know a lot of people like to compare it to the Holtz situation whenever a coaching change is made. The difference here is Holtz didn't get it done with a his core group of seniors his last year. That team had to be rebuilt. The basketball program already has many of the key contributors coming back and the foundation was set. The rebuilding was already begun.

Bottom line is tesm needs to show improvement and start getting attendance up this coming year. Not 3 years down the road.

Just wondering how you have your core group of seniors if you are only here 3 years???
The hatred for Holtz can't be bound by the space-time continuum. Edited by JTrue

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

This puzzles me.

What is puzzling?  This team lost how many games by just a few points?  This team was missing its best player for most of the year and had 3 true freshmen and a newcomer getting a good portion of minutes on the floor.  You don't think this was a foundation to build off?  

This was a roster that could be built upon (a foundation), not one that needed to be torn apart and started from scratch (for those around here who like to always be argumentative I am not saying Antigua is doing any sort of thing, Just making a statement about the roster).

There was not a re-building that needed to be done.  There was young talent with more young talent already on the roster.  If Heath was expected to be going to an NIT at least , next year, the expectations should be the same.  

I don't want to make this a football thread.  i will stand corrected in that I should have used the term "A" core group of seniors rather than "his" seniors.  Point I was trying to make was there is a big difference between having a returning group of young, good, experienced players versus a team that is going into a season that just lost a high percentage of multiple year starters to graduation and trying to replace them with lesser talented and inexperienced players.

The question I have regarding Collins, does anyone know if he is healed from his surgery now and just kept out for the remainder of the year to give him the year of play back or is this something he isn't healing from?  His knee problem was complications from bursa sac surgery, not any ligament or structural issue with the knee as I understand it.  Any actual news on his long term health?

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

We should have never fired Heath.

pre-emptive strike across the bow? LOL

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,598
  • Days Won:  424

One of the things I commented on during the season was the strength of Hawkins.  When you see other teams, most of them have lean muscle, and some are actually muscular.  Hawkins had almost no tone or mass, and I think at this level, you HAVE to be strong, as well as skilled, or those who have both have a big edge.

AC is another example.  He's got great dribbling skills, but stronger guards pushed him around.  There are guys like Napier who don't appear to be that strong, but as a general rule, many of our bball players look like the weight room could really help them (Egbunu is the exception...and I think he'll add some mass in the off season.  Hopefully he stays).

The opportunity to bulk up was there because Zach was noticeably bigger this year ... and AC did fine against stronger guards in 2011-12 and could be one where looks are deceiving where strength is concerned.

Honestly though, through all my years of watching USF basketball that was one thing that I seemed to notice ... that, with a few exceptions obviously, a lot of other teams' players seemed to always look more muscular, mature than our guys ... and I think it was because we weren't, for the most part, able to recruit college ready type players and had to hope they develop while here.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

This puzzles me.

What is puzzling?  This team lost how many games by just a few points?  This team was missing its best player for most of the year and had 3 true freshmen and a newcomer getting a good portion of minutes on the floor.  You don't think this was a foundation to build off?  

This was a roster that could be built upon (a foundation), not one that needed to be torn apart and started from scratch (for those around here who like to always be argumentative I am not saying Antigua is doing any sort of thing, Just making a statement about the roster).

There was not a re-building that needed to be done.  There was young talent with more young talent already on the roster.  If Heath was expected to be going to an NIT at least , next year, the expectations should be the same.  

If you think this, then you're going to have a bad time.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,598
  • Days Won:  424

I don't want to make this a football thread.  i will stand corrected in that I should have used the term "A" core group of seniors rather than "his" seniors.  Point I was trying to make was there is a big difference between having a returning group of young, good, experienced players versus a team that is going into a season that just lost a high percentage of multiple year starters to graduation and trying to replace them with lesser talented and inexperienced players.

The question I have regarding Collins, does anyone know if he is healed from his surgery now and just kept out for the remainder of the year to give him the year of play back or is this something he isn't healing from?  His knee problem was complications from bursa sac surgery, not any ligament or structural issue with the knee as I understand it.  Any actual news on his long term health?

Don't really know the long term outlook but short term sounds encouraging:

That includes PG Anthony Collins. Amid speculation the Bulls' sleek veteran is pondering a transfer in the wake of former coach Stan Heath's disimissal, Antigua said Wednesday that Collins has shined in the Bulls' inaugural workouts with the new staff.

"He's been great in the workouts, going really hard, getting his conditioning better," Antigua told reporters Wednesday. "I just think he's a heck of a talent. Just hope to keep pushing him and help him keep working."

Collins, the lone holdover from USF's 2012 NCAA Tournament team, missed all of conference play last season due to complications from summer surgery to remove an inflamed bursa sac from his left knee.

Antigua didn't elaborate on Collins physical progress, but said, "I think he's got a bright future."

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/mens-basketball-for-now-all-bulls-on-board/2175383

This puzzles me.

What is puzzling? This team lost how many games by just a few points? This team was missing its best player for most of the year and had 3 true freshmen and a newcomer getting a good portion of minutes on the floor. You don't think this was a foundation to build off?

There was not a re-building that needed to be done. There was young talent with more young talent already on the roster. If Heath was expected to be going to an NIT at least , next year, the expectations should be the same.

If you think this, then you're going to have a bad time.

I don't see any reason not to think so. No one's production of those players that have left, either through graduation or transfer, is so dominant that they can't be replaced.