• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Musa and Hawkins Leaving Team

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

Hope that comment that Perry is in academic trouble and Egbunu wants to leave isn't true.  That would essentially mean an new team next year (save for a few holdovers).

I haven't seen anything on Perry's academics, but that's sensitive info (if true) and I'd hate to see any privacy violations here (not saying it is...just we need to be responsible).

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,455
  • Days Won:  19

Jupiter - About Perry, while I hope it isn't true too, I also want to say that rumors like that often come from the the player. It is very unlikely that an coach would talk about a kid being in academic trouble, but it is very likely a player may say to friends, I really need good grades this summer to be able to play next year. 

I'm not talking about Perry, I don't know him or anything about his grades or this rumor. But if the rumor is true, more than likely it came from the kid. 

I remember Brett McMurphy used to always get the scoop on why a player was suspended, I would bet a lot of those times the news came right from the kid. If I remember correctly, Coach Leavitt's anger with Brett came from a couple times he reported things kids said, that would have been smarter on their part if they never said it. 

Jupiter - About Perry, while I hope it isn't true too, I also want to say that rumors like that often come from the the player. It is very unlikely that an coach would talk about a kid being in academic trouble, but it is very likely a player may say to friends, I really need good grades this summer to be able to play next year. 

I'm not talking about Perry, I don't know him or anything about his grades or this rumor. But if the rumor is true, more than likely it came from the kid. 

I remember Brett McMurphy used to always get the scoop on why a player was suspended, I would bet a lot of those times the news came right from the kid. If I remember correctly, Coach Leavitt's anger with Brett came from a couple times he reported things kids said, that would have been smarter on their part if they never said it. 

Mike, that's part of my concern.  If the kid wants to go public with his grades, that's fine.  But I've seen a few cases where students make comments (friend, or maybe just classmates).  The integrity of privacy is my concern, as many can know a student's plight (professors, GAs, admins, etc.). 

Wouldn't be shocked to see a freshman struggle with grades.  Transitioning from high school to college is hard enough...throw on a full time job of athlete, and I'm sure it's even tougher.

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

If the original evaluation was wrong, that's on the evaluators not the kid. You don't pull someone's scholly because your staff screwed up.

For the record I never said to pull the guys scholarship. Since he was Heaths guy and hasn't developed at all, just hoping he would transfer to open up another spot. If he wants to stay, then fine.

Understood - didn't mean to imply that you had, just that the convo made that turn notwithstanding your original comment.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

This probably isn't a win now situation anyway. The program has a lot of issues and needs to be built up.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

This probably isn't a win now situation anyway. The program has a lot of issues and needs to be built up.

I don't see the players that have left so far as irreplaceable. Although he had a few decent games, LeDay looked lost and in the wrong place a lot of the time on defense.

Hawkins, for some reason wasn't developing as expected. His 4 ppg are easily replaceable as are LeDay's 3 ppg

As far as not being a "win now situstion". My feeling is that even though there is some initial buzz about Antigua, there still needs to be a lot of improvement on the floor this year. There was a foundation of good players in place and is still here. Once the season starts that positive buzz goes away. It becomes about winning and losing.

I maintain that if this team doesn't at least get an NIT bid this year the firing Heath was idiotic.

And I know a lot of people like to compare it to the Holtz situation whenever a coaching change is made. The difference here is Holtz didn't get it done with a his core group of seniors his last year. That team had to be rebuilt. The basketball program already has many of the key contributors coming back and the foundation was set. The rebuilding was already begun.

Bottom line is tesm needs to show improvement and start getting attendance up this coming year. Not 3 years down the road.

I maintain that if this team doesn't at least get an NIT bid this year the firing Heath was idiotic.

Bottom line is tesm needs to show improvement and start getting attendance up this coming year. Not 3 years down the road.

This puzzles me.

One of the things I commented on during the season was the strength of Hawkins.  When you see other teams, most of them have lean muscle, and some are actually muscular.  Hawkins had almost no tone or mass, and I think at this level, you HAVE to be strong, as well as skilled, or those who have both have a big edge.

AC is another example.  He's got great dribbling skills, but stronger guards pushed him around.  There are guys like Napier who don't appear to be that strong, but as a general rule, many of our bball players look like the weight room could really help them (Egbunu is the exception...and I think he'll add some mass in the off season.  Hopefully he stays).

This puzzles me.

As bad as we were, we were still a few breaks from being a .500 team, believe it or not.  Losing Rudd hurts, and Brock to a lesser extent.  Losing these 4 gives COA a lot of slots to fill...and that assumes the bloodletting is over.  I don't think we HAS to win next season, but I do think we need to see a new energy & passion, as well as increased fan support (they likely feed each other).

We have two legit big guys and a wild card in Collins (health). 2014-15 will likely be a rough year. To say differently is crazy.