• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Musa and Hawkins Leaving Team

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

would these guys have stayed if heath wasnt fired?

why are so many guys leaving?

were their schollys not renewed?

Par for the course when a new head coach steps in; especially when a team is as bad as we were.

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

That's not how winning programs work, charsibb. If he can't contribute in some meaningful way, you've got to let them go. Cut the fat. Work in an academic scholarship to replace the athletic (I'm not heartless) or let them go to another school to play.

I'm not saying that's what should happen with OMG, but any player not contributing should go and go quickly.

Sorry, I disagree.

Winning programs are built on attitude and talent. All the talent in the world gets you nowhere if the attitude is wrong.

Attitude is built from loyalty, discipline, and tough love.

If you're worried about being benched, that's a good kind of pressure. If you're worried about your schollie being pulled for a better player, that's a bad kind of pressure.

One leads to harder work, the other leads to infectious bad attitudes and a vicious downward spiral.

+1

If he wants to go elsewhere, let him, but as long as he is putting in the work it is not right to pull his scholarship.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,511
  • Days Won:  422

Let's hope jordan Omogbehin is the next to transfer. He's been wasting a scholarship for years.

Reading things like this piss me off. Jordan is an outstanding representative of USF, a good student and a hard worker. USF offered him a scholarship and he has done everything and more asked of him. He has not been wasting a scholarship, and to say that of one of our student athletes is very poor form, in my opinion.

Not being privy to the lockerroom and practices, I can't speak for Jordan, but in general my take is as follows:

Someone was seen with potential and was offered and accepted a schollie.

It is now your JOB to make sure they live up to their potential.

If they have ...

... the right attitude (gung ho, team player, not prima donna) and ...

... work ethic (early to every practice, running drills full speed with effort, accepts criticism and works to get better) ...

... and they are still unable to produce at the level needed to crack the starting lineup, then that's on YOU, not the player, and you honor the schollie throughout their eligibility.

You NEVER pull a schollie from someone simply because you now have a chance to land a better player.

The corollary of this is that if a player has a bad attitude, they can be poison, and should know their schollie can be pulled.

Plus you have to factor in the health issues that may have contributed to the non development. You've got 13 scholarship players and 1 or 2 stories like this shouldn't have that big of an effect. We've apparently got 4 schollies available for the upcoming year and 2 more available for the following year, 1 if AC gets the redshirt. I think it would suck if Omo isn't allowed to finish his last 2 years ... but wouldn't really be surprised, either, considering the current staff has no attachment to him.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

You can build a good program without pulling scholarships whenever someone doesn't live up to expectations.  Frequent pulling of scholarships would ultimately doom the program.

In the case of these players, it seems mutual.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

Let's hope jordan Omogbehin is the next to transfer. He's been wasting a scholarship for years.

Reading things like this piss me off. Jordan is an outstanding representative of USF, a good student and a hard worker. USF offered him a scholarship and he has done everything and more asked of him. He has not been wasting a scholarship, and to say that of one of our student athletes is very poor form, in my opinion.

Not being privy to the lockerroom and practices, I can't speak for Jordan, but in general my take is as follows:

If they have ...

... work ethic (early to every practice, running drills full speed with effort, accepts criticism and works to get better) ...

... and they are still unable to produce at the level needed to crack the starting lineup, then that's on YOU, not the player, and you honor the schollie throughout their eligibility.

You NEVER pull a schollie from someone simply because you now have a chance to land a better player.

The corollary of this is that if a player has a bad attitude, they can be poison, and should know their schollie can be pulled.

Unless the original evaluation was wrong and the old staff misjudged the player's ability to develop....especially in the old BigEast. It wouldn't be the first time a USF coach missed on a player....see Skip Holtz. Greta kids.....but many of his players were the not high level BCS quality players we used to get with Leavitt.

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

Let's hope jordan Omogbehin is the next to transfer. He's been wasting a scholarship for years.

If they have ...

Unless the original evaluation was wrong and the old staff misjudged the player's ability to develop....especially in the old BigEast. It wouldn't be the first time a USF coach missed on a player....see Skip Holtz. Greta kids.....but many of his players were the not high level BCS quality players we used to get with Leavitt.

If the original evaluation was wrong, that's on the evaluators not the kid. You don't pull someone's scholly because your staff screwed up.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

Let's hope jordan Omogbehin is the next to transfer. He's been wasting a scholarship for years.

If they have ...

If the original evaluation was wrong, that's on the evaluators not the kid. You don't pull someone's scholly because your staff screwed up.

For the record I never said to pull the guys scholarship. Since he was Heaths guy and hasn't developed at all, just hoping he would transfer to open up another spot. If he wants to stay, then fine.

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,457
  • Days Won:  19

By the way, I wouldn't be shocked if USF hasn't pulled a single scholarship in 10 years for lack of results. As a general rule, almost no school ever pulls a scholarship from someone with a good attitude, good grades, who is healthy but fails to produce. 

What coaches do often, is sit down with a kid and say, I don't see you being part of our future plans, you can stay, get your degree and sit on the end of our bench, or we can work together to find another school who will give you a full ride and you can be a big part of their future and play. The choice is yours, but I think you should strongly consider finishing your career somewhere else. 

I am not saying that a particular player has been good or bad, but please don't say a kid is a waste of a scholarship, unless you are referring to bad attitude, bad grades or off the court troubles. A good kid, who tries hard but doesn't produce what you as a fan expect of them does not give you the right to call the kid a waste of a scholarship. 

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

That's not how winning programs work, charsibb. If he can't contribute in some meaningful way, you've got to let them go. Cut the fat. Work in an academic scholarship to replace the athletic (I'm not heartless) or let them go to another school to play.

I'm not saying that's what should happen with OMG, but any player not contributing should go and go quickly.

That's BS.... and I'll use Duke and UNC as examples but you could put any other successful program in there.... There are kids on UNC's team that unless they're up by 40 never see a minute of playing time... that said, those kids work their tail off during practice to help the starters and backups get better and everyone of them is on a scholarship. The kids on the bench are just as important as the starters. You and I have no idea what Jordan contributes off the court and in practice.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Best of luck to all those leaving.  Better luck to the new coaching staff on finding replacements!