• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Is the national news good or bad for USF?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

The only one I've heard be negative about USF is Booger on 98.7 yesterday. He doesn't think a degree is needed to coach (and no one really is/was arguing that), but he apparently thinks USF shouldn't require it, and doesn't understand why a school would (and completely dismisses the argument about "coach should have a degree to tell his kids they need to get one"). He thinks coaches have little to do with academics.

He fails to understand the most basic things. I stopped listening to that station a long time ago. State statute requires a degree to coach in the college ranks. If he's got an issue, he should take it up with the state legislature, not the schools abiding by the law.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

Then Booger is an idiot.

Coaches have HUGE influence on the academic performance of their players.

Agree 100%.

Booger and Ron are virtually unlistenable. Their show is less of a sports show and more of a (pseudo) entertainment show with sports occasionally sprinkled in just so they can call it a sports show.

I don't like DUImig either but at least he honestly tries to address sports issues (don't care for the fantasy football or gambling stuff but I recognize that others might).

Bottom line is that 98.7 has proven to be a big disappointment in the afternoons, although I do like the Commish in the mornings...

Anyway, the university requires a degree (plus experience) for the position. Whether you can actually coach without one is irrelevant in this context. I for one am glad the university maintained its integrity on this issue; I would've been disappointed if it hadn't.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

The only one I've heard be negative about USF is Booger on 98.7 yesterday. He doesn't think a degree is needed to coach (and no one really is/was arguing that), but he apparently thinks USF shouldn't require it, and doesn't understand why a school would (and completely dismisses the argument about "coach should have a degree to tell his kids they need to get one"). He thinks coaches have little to do with academics.

He fails to understand the most basic things. I stopped listening to that station a long time ago. State statute requires a degree to coach in the college ranks. If he's got an issue, he should take it up with the state legislature, not the schools abiding by the law.

Thanks, didn't know it was state wide (but I like that). I agree that in theory a degree isn't needed to coach well. Hell, I'm sure there are some guys who can coach their socks off and barely graduated high school...but to hold the JOB of coach is where it's required and I like that FL has it set that way.

I like listening to Kirk most of the time, and Justin/Jim, and Rich sometimes. Dinger and Booger seem to always side on the side I disagree with, but they're both former pros so I guess they have similar mindsets and don't see the everyman view.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,511
  • Days Won:  422

Normally I would say that any publicity is good publicity, but I really don't like this story.  If you look at all the facts, USF didn't do anything wrong, and I think most people understand that, but it just sucks that we can't be in the news for something else (like winning games).

Even on a local level, no one has been talking about USF for a long time, and now it seems like we get wall-to-wall coverage on 98.7 the fan with the phony "pro-con" stances that the hosts take so they can create a fake "debate" about whether or not USF was wrong.  I noticed today in the Tampa Bay Times on the front page of the sports section, we were the lead story with (as far as I can remember) a bigger headline font than I have ever seen for USF about the "debacle at USF."  We never got that kind of bold-face font headline for winning something even when we were winning games.  Oh well.  I guess when they smell blood in the water, they like to swarm.

The teaser on the front page of the newspaper has "Search For USF Basketball Coach Botched" directing to a column by Jones ... who calls this the "most embarrassing moment in the history of USF Athletics"(Apparently Tommy was in an alcohol induced coma last August 31st). Fennelly also felt compelled to write a column about it today but, surprisingly, mainly focused on the botching from the SM angle.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

National coverage has mostly been neutral or better for USF negative for Masiello.

Local coverage has been negative USF - Joey Knight and Tom Jones out with black eyes and embarrassment for USF.  Not sure how they saw it differently other than it creates a stir, or it's just the defacto process.  Johnston I think was neutral.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

The teaser on the front page of the newspaper has "Search For USF Basketball Coach Botched" directing to a column by Jones ... who calls this the "most embarrassing moment in the history of USF Athletics"(Apparently Tommy was in an alcohol induced coma last August 31st). Fennelly also felt compelled to write a column about it today but, surprisingly, mainly focused on the botching from the SM angle.

:facepalm:

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Most embarrassing moment in history of USF athletics?  I nominate the extension for Skip after 5-7. 

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,511
  • Days Won:  422

National coverage has mostly been neutral or better for USF negative for Masiello.

Local coverage has been negative USF - Joey Knight and Tom Jones out with black eyes and embarrassment for USF.  Not sure how they saw it differently other than it creates a stir, or it's just the defacto process.  Johnston I think was neutral.

Pretty much agree. The Times headline writers are definitely in a ***** mode. JK digging up Keever and going with it was definitely a BM type move.

• Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

dont see how baD FOR USF

• Topic Count:  2,330
  • Content Count:  21,282
  • Days Won:  10

dont see how baD FOR USF

:facepalm: