• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Is the national news good or bad for USF?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  47
  • Content Count:  213
  • Days Won:  1

The resume story is on the front page of ESPN and most major papers today.  The story has also reached non sports media outlets as I'm listening to a music channel on satellite radio and the topic is discussed.  I do not remember a time when USF has been in the news to this degree.  Most people agree that USF did the right thing but is all this press good or bad for USF?  

I wish the story would end with Steve Masiello finding out that UK messed up his records and we end up hiring him but doubt its going to end this way.  The whole thing makes me sick to my stomach as I have never been more excited to get a new coach but in some ways the press might be good.  What do you think?    

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Days Won:  14

Normally I would say that any publicity is good publicity, but I really don't like this story.  If you look at all the facts, USF didn't do anything wrong, and I think most people understand that, but it just sucks that we can't be in the news for something else (like winning games).

Even on a local level, no one has been talking about USF for a long time, and now it seems like we get wall-to-wall coverage on 98.7 the fan with the phony "pro-con" stances that the hosts take so they can create a fake "debate" about whether or not USF was wrong.  I noticed today in the Tampa Bay Times on the front page of the sports section, we were the lead story with (as far as I can remember) a bigger headline font than I have ever seen for USF about the "debacle at USF."  We never got that kind of bold-face font headline for winning something even when we were winning games.  Oh well.  I guess when they smell blood in the water, they like to swarm.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

Everything I've seen sheds a good light on USF. It sucks that we're not going to get him to coach our team, but that's his fault and it came back to bite him.

The only one I've heard be negative about USF is Booger on 98.7 yesterday. He doesn't think a degree is needed to coach (and no one really is/was arguing that), but he apparently thinks USF shouldn't require it, and doesn't understand why a school would (and completely dismisses the argument about "coach should have a degree to tell his kids they need to get one"). He thinks coaches have little to do with academics.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Then Booger is an idiot.

Coaches have HUGE influence on the academic performance of their players.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

I am not sure whether the national attention the school is getting is good or bad.  However, the fact is that Maisello’s resume was inaccurate, and according to the due diligence search done by the hiring committee, he did not have a bachelor’s degree from Kentucky.  There are schools where this would not be a problem, but at USF it is a requirement for a head coach.  Further, the fact is that it is presently assumed that the lack of a degree was an intentional misstatement causes concern. 

My take on this is three-fold:

1  As much as I would have loved to have Maisello on board, the alleged falsification on his resume doesn’t bode well and has now caused his tenure at Manhattan to be placed in jeopardy as well.

2  USF did not make any “official†announcement regarding the prospective hire, hence, no negative fallout should be attributed to the school.

3  If there is any negative reaction in the national media due to this “blip†in the hiring practice by USF, it will be due to the “unverified†hire and not the school.

I don’t place stock in anything written until it is confirmed by official sources.  So called “informed sources†are more rumor than truth until actually confirmed.

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Holy Cow!

Where you been Mama?

Lurking and keeping my mouth shut until now.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

USF comes out OK in this, Masiello does not.

We are ok, and the media sources have all ripped Masiello, not us. (Unless you are a talk-show host trying to get people to call in)

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Then Booger is an idiot.

Coaches have HUGE influence on the academic performance of their players.

Maybe not at LSU, where he played ... which wouldn't altogether surprise me.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

USF has been clean in this.  Masiello is the one with egg all over his face.