• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

I don't like this "potential" hire AT ALL!  Just my opinion so don't go all hatey on me.

Who would you like at this juncture?  Just curious.

I would prefer Mike White at La Tech.  We've passed on the movers and shakers due to the process, so why not wait at this point until the NIT and NCAA are completed.  I didn't get any indications from IB's I know that Masiello may be the guy.  All I heard was Buzz Williams and nothing about Pearl and the desire to go big on this hire.  Masiello isn't a go big choice but neither is Mike White.  I just really like the dribble penetration and motion offense of La Tech and their solid defense.  He's been able to do pretty well without the benefit of athletes that Masiello had access to in NY, he had to really dig, find them, and coach them up.  

Michael White is the better hire and it comes down to recruiting.. The fact that USF believes they can hire a guy with little to no experience of recruiting the South is just laughable and very risky when the young gem in White is out there with all his experience being in the South where USF needs to concentrate on. You have a guy who was born in the state of Florida, just as young, plays the same exciting style, but with ties to the area and USF just skips on by him. Don't punish White because his team is still playing. He should be interviewed just like Masiello was and I think the choice would become clear, even for a struggling bunch of decision makers like at USF.

Recruiting our area is huge for the next coach since he won't be recruiting with a high profile name.

He may have been born in Florida. But it appears he moved out of state while he was a toddler. I have no problem recruiting the northeast. Only 3 players on last years team were even from Florida.

White's roots are in the south. USF cannot be successful recruiting up north or have you forgotten that we no longer are affiliated with a power conference. That's Big East, ACC, and Big 10 country. Heath tried that for years and failed. He hired an asst coach that supposedly had ties and was a bulldog recruiter from outside our territory and USF ended wasting valuable time and money tying to land a stud.

There was another disciple of Pitino from the Northeast who had a brief head coaching gig at a school up north. He posted a 35-20 record at that school. He then came south to be the head coach of program about 2 hours up I-75 from USF. If Masiello has half the success of Billy D, this hire is a home run.

My thoughts also.

Hmm....so being associated with a successful head coach GUARANTEES that his asst coach will also have major success too. Kind of a head scratcher since USF just fired Stan Heath for being unsuccessful who was a Tom Izzo asst.

If Masiello is the head coach then hopefully he does like Donovan did and hire a Anthony Grant and John Pelphrey type that can really recruit the south for him. If he does that then there won't be a long transition period. I have no doubt that he can coach, but recruiting is just as or more important. No time to build relationships with the local players and coaches from a bunch of guys up North.

Edited by Vega

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,342
  • Days Won:  43

Got to go with who the boosters want for the USF coach as they will be writing the big checks. So if Sullivan wants the Manhattan coach at USF, then I hope USF listens. 

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,002
  • Days Won:  469

The fact that USF believes they can hire a guy with little to no experience of recruiting the South is just laughable and very risky

After I made a post in this thread yesterday, I had this weighing on my mind. 

Will he recruit the south or will he try to recruit more broadly?

I think the whole New Yorker attitude would be difficult for him at USF among administration, peers and players, especially the tough hard-ass NY coach we saw in the video. 

But, I don't think he needs to be ready for USF, USF needs to be ready for him.  Then, it leaves the recruiting.  Don't forget New Yorker Dave Zimroth was a good recruiter at FSU and USF.  Maybe Masiello can do it.  There will certainly be major culture clashes on that campus.  That could lead to departures...

Got to go with who the boosters want for the USF coach as they will be writing the big checks. So if Sullivan wants the Manhattan coach at USF, then I hope USF listens. 

And I hope Sullivan follows through with a significant enough of a check that Athletics and Harlan feel alright selling themselves out to a booster. 

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

@RussHoops: Per a good source, Steve Masiello to USF

Sounds like today is the day we find out

Edited by Hem
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

I'd be ok with this, but I hope we made a run at Smart.

Who is RussHoops?

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

I'd be ok with this, but I hope we made a run at Smart.

As much as I would've loved shaka, he turned down UCLA last year. He wasn't coming here no matter what.

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

Who is RussHoops?

IDK but his twitter avatar is him and 50 cent so i trust him.

• Upvote 1

Dope