• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Ben Howland

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

If bulliever's posted article is true, imagine a talented guy like Howland would let Harlan be his boss again.

I can't see Howland as our coach.

A duke alumnus like capel, Snyder or Dawkins would get us buzz.

Howland is a no. If you can't win at UCLA then I don't know to tell you. 70% of his time at UCLA was far under that programs standards. USF is no UCLA and that guy was awful there down the stretch.

Capel is a no. You get in the tournament and a have a couple wins and then have two losing seaons. Remind you of anyone?

We need someone who can sustain sucess. Someone who can program not just a team. Some one smart enought to plan ahead and get class sizes set up to win every year.

Yep, Bruce Pearl and Buzz Williams are the ones that stack up well against that criteria.

Proof reading is a wonderful thing right? Glad you understood my broken engerish lol :lmao:

And actually, Ben Howland would meet those criteria as well.  I would prefer a younger HC but maybe he still has the juice.

Guest PCBull14

If bulliever's posted article is true, imagine a talented guy like Howland would let Harlan be his boss again.

Howland is a no. If you can't win at UCLA then I don't know to tell you. 70% of his time at UCLA was far under that programs standards. USF is no UCLA and that guy was awful there down the stretch.

Capel is a no. You get in the tournament and a have a couple wins and then have two losing seaons. Remind you of anyone?

We need someone who can sustain sucess. Someone who can program not just a team. Some one smart enought to plan ahead and get class sizes set up to win every year.

Yep, Bruce Pearl and Buzz Williams are the ones that stack up well against that criteria.

Proof reading is a wonderful thing right? Glad you understood my broken engerish lol :lmao:

And actually, Ben Howland would meet those criteria as well.  I would prefer a younger HC but maybe he still has the juice.

I don't know man. Guy only got two Tourney wins in his last five years at UCLA...not impressive at all.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

Howland equals more boring offensive basketball. This program needs a jolt in the arm, not more root canal basketball.

Articles I read on UCLA basketball in Howland's latter years there disputed that.

Sure, he's a defense first coach. I like that.

• Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

I don't know man. Guy only got two Tourney wins in his last five years at UCLA...not impressive at all.

He won the PAC 12 in his last year and lost in the first round of NCAA that year but he did lose his best scorer prior to the NCAA tournament due to injury. Has had a level of sustained success.  We aren't going to get John Wooden but this guy would make us at least relevant, I believe. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,511
  • Days Won:  422

Howland equals more boring offensive basketball. This program needs a jolt in the arm, not more root canal basketball.

Articles I read on UCLA basketball in Howland's latter years there disputed that.

Sure, he's a defense first coach. I like that.

Howland's latter years at UCLA were his least successful there, though ... Maybe he should have root canaled more.

• Topic Count:  479
  • Content Count:  1,991
  • Days Won:  0

Ben Howland is 110% not coming here.........mind as well close this thread.  Harlan is the one who basically fired him he is not bringing in a guy that he fired.  Move on to others!!

Guest PCBull14

Ben Howland is 110% not coming here.........mind as well close this thread.  Harlan is the one who basically fired him he is not bringing in a guy that he fired.  Move on to others!!

This. That Minnesota game in the tourney last year was Ugly.

• Topic Count:  2,696
  • Content Count:  6,928
  • Days Won:  0

volsguys.jpg

So this is the guy (Bruce Pearl) that you want painted in green & gold.

P.S. Sorry, I could not remove kiFFin

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Absolutely. He'd look great painted green and gold.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,511
  • Days Won:  422

Did Harlan have that much power at UCLA as an Assistant AD?